“Several happy experiences” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
South Riding, Virginia, United States
“Several happy experiences”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After hearing about all the long lines at the new Ford's, my husband and I had put off going. Finally, in May, we went for a large family brunch and had a great experience (lobster roll for me--very good!). Then for my end-of-the-school-year dinner, my husband took me for a celebratory dinner and, again, it was really great (steamed crab legs--very well-cooked and "meaty"). It was my birthday in late June, so the whole family, including 4 grandchildren, went for dinner (fabulous soft shell crab!). For each of these outings, we had the Angry Mussels appetizers which you should definitely get! Two days ago, because both my adult sons are here, I took my "boys" for a raw oyster extravaganza. On Mondays, during happy hour, there are $1 oysters (James River and Blue Point the day we went). Between the three of us, we had 24 oysters, an order of Angry Mussels, and the Ipswich clams. Everything was well-prepared, excellent quality, and served with attention and care. Ford's is a great addition to South Riding, Loudoun County, and NoVa. Yes, it still gets crowded later on in the evening, but if you are willing to go a little early, if you are willing to go on a Monday, there won't even be a wait. But wait or not, you will not be disappointed with Ford's Fish Shack in South Riding!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Virginia
“Food good, wait and noise not so much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We enjoyed our weekend dinner at Ford's but we had a very long wait to be seated, and the noise level was a bit excessive. All the surfaces inside the restaurant are hard, and when it is crowded, the noise makes conversation very difficult. (My husband and I had to shout to be heard when we ordered and further conversation was impossible so we did not linger. ) Our fish dinners were fresh and well-cooked, I enjoyed the wide variety of fish choices and the sides are tasty, but be prepared for a long wait to be seated on weekends. The crowd seems to be having a good time and all the food going past us looked delicious, but I'd rather be able to have a conversation. I would eat here again but not dinner on a weekend, I think.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Haymarket, Virginia, USA
“Must visit in NoVA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We visited with four adults and a five kids under age 12 after my daughter's dance recital last weekend and I was so pleased with this dining experience. We went around 2 pm on a Sunday and there was no wait! The service was great- our waiter was very attentive, patient, and helpful. We started with the Maine chips and calamari, and both were excellent. The clam chowder was very good--my six year old gave it rave reviews. My nephew, who isn't the biggest carb eater, devoured the blueberry and corn muffins. For entrees, my hubby had the trout and eggs (it was still brunch time) and Practically licked his plate clean; I had the lobster roll, which was Devine--the lobster pieces were big and juicy, and my kids loved sampling it. My mom ordered the lobster cocktail as her entree and it was a huge portion that my kids also enjoyed. Ioh, and i cant forget the mimosas with Grand Marnier, yum, yum, yum! I truly could go on and on, and we truly loved everything we ordered. And for nine guess, the bill was very reasonable. My only complaint is that there isn't one in the town where I live (I seriously would start a campaign or petition for one, though, at Virginia Gateway Promenade). I am definitely going back, and highly recommend Ford's Fish Shack.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A New Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Heard good things about the Ashburn location, so visited the new one in South Riding. The food is great! Sat outside where the flowers blooming at Home Depot simulated a makeshift park. Service was very good.

Excellent food. Calamari great - the sauce is most tasty. Blackened scallops on pasta, great, with again a very tasty sauce. Everyone in my party was very pleased.

The only drawback was the mixed drink. They have a nice selection of good wines and beers, including some local brews and unusual offerings. But the mixed drink was expensive and short on liquor.

Alexandria, Virginia
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Seven of us went for Mother's Day. We started with a dozen fresh oysters which were excellent, as was the spinach and crab dip with warm light tortilla chips. The longneck clams were unexpectedly terrific as were the mussel's with chorizo, tomatoes, garlic and white wine. The adults asked for spoons so we could enjoy the broth from both sets of shellfish dishes! The smoked salmon bruschetta was top notch; kids loved it as well. Only a few complaints: the crabcakes were pretty good (not Fadley's quality) and our lobster was slightly overcooked and th margaritas were from a mix which makes them just too sweet. Very small complaints! Service was efficient, accurate, friendly and swift. Totally a place to take the whole family - note that the noise level is VERY loud so try and get a table as far from the bar as possible. Hard to believe a gem of a place is in a strip mall!