“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Fairfax, Virginia
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent food. we are vegetarians and love the barotta and kara kuzhambhu and panner makhini. Our kids / family simply love it!

• Visited April 2013

Union City, New Jersey, United States
“Incredible, unique Indian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

You need to take two things into account before going to Karaikudi
1. This is not your typical Americanized Indian food. It is from a southern region and though you may see some familiar looking items, these are not tailored to watered down creamy American tastes and are quite authentic.
2. This food is hot!!! Like atomic tears streaming down your eyes hot.

I have had Indian quite a few times before, but this was my first experience with Chettinad style and though I live 500 miles away, I'm considering driving back down this weekend for some more.

I would definitely recommend the lunch buffet for anyone else not that familiar with the cuisine as a great way to sample a good many of their dishes. When we were there they had something like 15 dishes, 2 soups, and 3 types of dessert.

The crab soup had an intense peppery spiciness. The dishes that seemed familiar like chicken tika, chicken makhani, and briyani rice all tasted like the best version of each I've ever had, combined with incredible spicyness that really brought out the flavor of each.

Luckily for me, the dessert was very cool and soothing, and quickly got rid of the burn.

The staff was also very attentive, constantly refilling our water, and making sure we were okay, probably due to the profuse sweat and red faces we all had. Our waiter was also very helpful with getting the wifi setup on the ipad we had brought.

Overall, I would recommend Karaikudi to anyone looking for a truly unique and delicious type of Indian food, that doesn't mind spice in the name of making the food something special

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unique & Delicious Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Anyone who is interested in trying out some delicious and more unusual (in the United States) Indian foods should definitely come to Karaikudi -- especially to the weekend lunch buffet, which allows you to sample many different vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes (for just $13). This place gets very crowded on the weekends, though, so either show up right at noon, or expect a bit of a wait. And be prepared, the food is quite spicy!

I understand the other reviewer being disappointed that Karaikudi didn't serve tandoori chicken, if its one of his/her favorite dishes. However, India is a huge country, and the food this restaurant serves is from South India, where tandoori chicken isn't a traditional dish -- it's kind of like criticizing a soul food restaurant in Alabama for not serving New England Clam chowder! As for dishes, I'd recommend any of the biryanis, which are delicious, as well as the "kottu paratha" which is like shredded flaky flatbread with sauce and vegetables and/or meat. Also, the eggplant vegetarian dish is really tasty, too.

Chantilly, Virginia
“Ethnic Homemade South Indian Non-Veg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

One of my favorites! It is authentic Chettinadu cooking. It feels like eating at a restaurant in South India. It is one of a kind restaurant in the area. There are not that many South Indian non veg places around. However the food is spicy. If you are not from that part of the world (States of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Andra Pradesh in India) you may find the food too spicy. The lunch buffet is a good value.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Ridiculous”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

First off, what kind of Indian restaurant doesn't have Tandoori Chicken? Really? It's not like the place was packed full of people. We were the only ones there for at least 10-15 minutes before another group came in.

So we ordered a different chicken dish and a goat dish. Both were supposed to be "mild" on the spice. However, when the meals arrived, they were so spicy it was impossible to enjoy the meals. This was surprising to me because my friends and family know I'm not a person that shys away from spicy food. But this restaurant's idea of "mild" is ridiculously spicy. The server should have given us some kind of warning.

I seriously doubt I'll be coming back to this place.

Side note: The only reason I didn't give it a "1 - Terrible" rating is because the restaurant looked clean.

• 2 of 5 stars Food