“First time was good, second was a complete miss” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Korean
Description: Part of a national chain, predominantly located on the west coast
Description: Part of a national chain, predominantly located on the west coast
Fairfax, Virginia
“First time was good, second was a complete miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

After enjoyoing a tasty, healthy meal of a chicken bowl and salmon bowl (with brown rice and veggies), my wife and I decided to return for the "Two chicken bowls for $9.50" special. It was really disappointing. First, the cashier wouldn't let me substitute brown rice (even after I offered to pay the standard up charge). Once we got the bowls, they weren't at all like the bowls from our first visit. The "special" is just meat and rice - no veggies! The chicken was okay, but a lot of the pieces were fatty. We were really excited to have a healthier option for weeknight dinners, but I think we'll take a break from Waba for a while.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Herndon, Virginia
“Fresh Asian Alternative for the Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

is simple and direct-beef, chicken, shrimp, salmon, and vegetarian served on a plate or in a bowl.  Oddly for an Asian restaurant, they make you pay extra for brown rice, but you can double up the meat/fish portions inexpensively.  But to cut to the chase, the food was delicious.  My group of four tried the chicken, the beef, and the vegetarian and all were cooked perfectly.  The vegetables were firm and crunchy, but cooked  perfectly.  Between the chicken and the steak, we all preferred the steak. There were nice size chunks of beef with no fat or gristle.  The chicken on the other hand, had all been hand processed, but that left some stringy parts and fat to pick out.  Not a lot, but enough to make it noticeable and less than enjoyable.  My only other disappointment is with the rigidity of the menu.  Waba cleverly offers Half-Half bowls, a great idea of satisfying diverse pa
lates.  But when I asked for a half-half bowl of steak and shrimp, I was told you could only do steak and chicken.  I offered to pay more for shrimp, but no luck.  I tried doing it for salmon as well, but no luck again.  My suggestion to Waba is if you are going to offer half-half bowls, why not make it for EVERYTHING on the menu!  The service is quick and the restaurant is clean and bright, making it an inexpensive and fun night out for the family!

• Visited August 2012