“Great value!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Dulles Airport South

Save Saved
You added Hyatt Place Dulles Airport South to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Dulles Airport South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4994 Weststone Plaza, Chantilly, VA 20151 (Formerly AmeriSuites)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Park.Stay.Fly.
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
“Great value!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed here on business for four nights. I am rating three stars.

My comments:

- Friendly and very helpful staff. Check in was easy.
- Rate included breakfast which was of a very nice variety and very tasty.
- Modern decor in rooms, with a very homey layout. I loved the sectional-style sofa and ottoman! Very comfy. But due to the homey layout, the TV couldn't be seen from the work desk or the bath/sink/dressing area.
- Not enough storage. My room had a very small closet and three narrow drawers. The sliding door on the closet was difficult to move. If my husband had been with me, there would not have been enough storage space for our stuff for that long of a stay.
- Unpredictable WiFi. I could get a weak connection for a few minutes at a time (second floor, end of the hallway). It was strange that all three of my wireless devices couldn't connect after 10 pm. I have a data card for my laptop and that saved me and kept me from inquiring about it. (When traveling for business, a remote connection to the office is a must in my hotel room.)
- Excellent location. Close to good restaurants and shopping without the hassle of too much freeway traffic.
- Comfortable bed and nice shower.
- Clean, except for the used tissue and balled up Post-it note on the floor of my room when I entered my room for the first time. I'm not one to complain about or report such things to the front desk. I discarded these items and think housekeeping probably just dropped these unintentionally because they were in a very obvious place on the floor.
- Fitness room was okay, with two treadmills, one elliptical, one recumbent bike, one weight bench, and free weights. The small room was crowded between 6 and 7 am. I would have appreciated some sort of sanitizer to wipe down the machines/weights before use, or at least my hands after use. There was a sink and a water fountain, along with clean towels, but no cleaning solution of any kind that I could see. I'm not a germaphobe but do take precaution in flu season.

I would stay here again for leisure travel, but the WiFi issue was a big turnoff for me for business travel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Nice sized rooms with sectional sofa, wet bar and desk in sitting area. We had 2 double beds - very comfortable. Though the hotel was full, it was very, very quiet. I did not give "Service" a five-star because the morning dining room staff did not keep the dining area clean and dishes and glasses stocked w/o being asked to do so. Overall I would definitely stay there again and at any other Hyatt Place.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room faced the shopping center. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Spring Branch, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Although the room was nice, clean & comfortable, other amenities were mediocre at best.

Shuttle service was abysmal. I called 30 minutes before I picked up my luggage and still waited another 45 minutes. No, it was NOT the traffic. Driver was a quiet surly at best. Other use of the shuttle to go about two miles was generally difficult & tedious.

Most of the staff appeared to be young and inexperienced. That I could accept, however, they were disengaged and usually too busy to be attentive when I could locate them.

Breakfast was pretty to look at but tasted like cardboard. Seating was limited given that the hotel was VERY crowded during my trip.

NOT what I expect from a Hyatt...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here for a week while moving to the area. The staff here was extremely friendly and accommodating.

Breakfast is definitely a plus of any Hyatt Place property and this was no exception.

My only complaint is how slow and spotty the wifi is here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was in town (for a second time) in the last year on business. Both my travel partner and I are on the road frequently for business. This hotel was excellent. It was clean, fashionable, and had an extraordinary breakfast which was included in the rate. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. It was very centrally located, being only 30 minutes from DC, but also very close to all the business we did around Chantilly. The area is VERY safe and well kept. And the surrounding restaurants were out of this world. Specifically Aquaymanto which is a Peruvian restaurant in walking distance. Best hotel for the money that I have stayed at yet in this area.

• Stayed September 2012
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

For the price, this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. It was clean, nicely decorated and within walking distance to several good restaurants. George, the shuttle bus driver was friendly and helpful. The two young ladies who checked me in greeted me with a friendly smile and were very helpful with explaining the amenties of the hotel and making recommendations. The room was large with a full size tile and glass enclosed shower. It was wonderful! I never heard my neighbors or noice from the hallway. The complimentary breakfast was very good as was the selection. Free WiFi in the room was nice but at times it was slow to connect. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Pros:
Predictably Clean,
Innovative room setup with 50 inch LCD, comfy bed and a nice bathroom,
Great Staff,
Family friendly,
Awesome breakfast

Cons: None at this location

Room:
Our stay at this location was a part of our Once in Lifetime visit to our capitol. We've been to other Hyatt Place locations in San Antonio area for Sea World trips. There in San Antonio we've been to all kinds of hotel all over the town and finally found this hotel that fulfills and exceeds our expectations. It wasn’t any different here in DC area.

It is commendable comparing to other 3 star area hotels in terms of cleanliness, ambiance, friendly staff, food area and mostly the room by itself. We stayed in a 2 Queen bed with sleeper sofa room. We've connected our DVD player once or twice to the TV so that kids can watch their movies if they're not already tired from day long activities. We love the bed, it is very, very comfy. People here do go the extra mile to appease their guests.

There is a good smell once you enter the lobby and it carries all the way to the room. Creative contemporary setup of the room is very eye-catching yet practical. Vanity is good.

Breakfast:

We had to mention the breakfast separately, it’s that good. There are many items for breakfast, bagel, toast, different kinds of milk, yogurt, fruits, muffin, juice and Starbucks coffee served in real plates and silverware. All of us have our favorites since we've been to this place so many times. Oh, at the lobby there's always a basket full with apples and you can feel free to grab one or two anytime you want to. We missed those Apples here in the DC location. Where did it go? We’ve noticed it this year Hyatt Place added hot breakfast items in the complementary section whereas you had to pay for it last year. So, it’s even better.

Overall it is a great value in mid-range hotels. We come here so that we can expect certain level of standard and be assured that we don't have to go through the hassle with the front desk to deal with room issues. Yes, we do come here for the breakfast as well, it beats IHOP breakfast any day.

Mainly the staff is always there to help and very pleasant to deal with. We’re glad that we could find a Hyatt Place in DC area that was within our price range and yet gave us the peace of mind while travelling with our 5 and 7 year olds. We have experienced certain values here at Hyatt Place that keeps us coming back again and again. Please do keep up with the good service. As you have already picked up and improved on certain aspects that your customers like. Please do remember that buildings and amenities maybe same or similar with competitors but it’s the people that make the difference, it’s the service they provide that make the difference which in turn brings customers.
Tip:
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum is within 10 minutes from the Hotel. If you have kids (and big kids) they’ll love it.

Applebees and other restaurants are next door to the Hotel and you can walk there if you’d like to.

If you're planning on going to the DC area, we've found the hard way that it is better to park your car at the nearby airport and then take the metro train or bus to the DC. Parking is really DIFFICULT in DC. If you stop by at the front desk they'll have maps for DC area with all the attractions marked.

Lastly, do please sign up for the Hyatt reward program called Gold Passport and accumulate points towards free nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Dulles Airport South? Share your experiences!