“Excellent value and service, cramped quarters” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Chantilly
St. Catharines, Canada
“Excellent value and service, cramped quarters”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for one night in August, 2008 while driving from Orlando to Buffalo. We were looking for a room to sleep all five of us comfortably, and we got that and more.

We chose this hotel based on several factors: Marriott offered me a substantial discount as a card holder, the location was about right, the room size was perfect, and the reviews here were generally positive. This was the best deal I have ever had on a 2 BR suite. Room included queen beds in two separate rooms, and a sofabed in a small living area. Also full-size fridge, stove, dishes, cabinets, etc. Beds were very comfortable. Each room featured it's own television. High-speed internet was easy and free.

Service was really excellent. The woman who was on front desk (Miriam) was friendly, helpful and efficient. She arranged our wake-up call for us, and as we were leaving very early (before the limited breakfast is put out) she put together take-away bags of fruit, juice, yogourt and pastries which we got when we left at 6:00 AM. More than one expects, by far.

Downside: Location is not close to Washington, though not too far from parking at the Metro station off I-66. Suite was quite crowded--rooms are tiny. The building looks like it needs a facelift, and the walls and floors are pretty thin. We heard the family above us as they wandered around until 2:00 AM.

As we were paying very little, we didn't expect a palace. What we got exceeded our expectations and met our needs, and the service was excellent. For a limited stay with a family, this was a very good experience.

• Liked — Price, room size, service
  • Disliked — Outdated furnishings, loud neighbours
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

We decided last minute to go to Washington, DC to see the fireworks. I researched several hotels and found this hotel for a great price. We drove about 10 miles to get to the Metro stop (Vienna, VA) to go into Washington DC.

I was able to rent a 2 bedroom suite for $74 a night over the 4th of July weekend. The room was clean except for the gum wrapper on the living room floor under the table. The one bedroom was larger than the second bedroom. The larger bedroom had a desk with the hookup for internet. We moved the internet connection box to the table in the sitting area. Both bedrooms had 19 inch TV in the room and the living room had a 27 inch (?) TV.

There was a full kitchen in the room along with 1 bathroom. The hotel offered a grab and go breakfast each morning. There were danish, bagels, juice, instant oatmeal and coffee. They had little bags with the food to take back to the rooms since there was no place to seat and eat. The coffee was available all the time.

The pool seemed to close early. It was scheduled to be open until 9PM but we noticed at 8:30PM the one night the padlock was already on the gate.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

Booked on hotel's website. Check in was quick and easy. The location of this hotel was great-lots of places to shop and eat nearby.
The room was a nice size studio suite with a kitchen and sitting area, the bed was wonderful with lots of pillows. The bathroom was a good size. The room was very clean.
Breakfast was grab and go and they have orange and apple juice, muffins, granola bars, oatmeal and fruit. Coffee is 24 hrs along with cookies!
My favorite part of this hotel would have to be the staff! The front desk staff was very friendly and on the last day when I accidentally dropped my earing in the sink, they sent up someone right away and within 3 minutes I had my earing. The staff was very professional and extremely helpful and nice. Without a doubt I would stay here again when in the area. (only 15 min. from Nissan Pav.)

• Liked — Staff and Room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

My wife, six month old baby and I reserved a two bedroom suite from overseas as we were relocating to the Washington DC area. We specifically asked about whether the landing planes going into Dulles would be a problem and we were assured that they were barely audible. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The planes were so loud that it definitely interfered with the sleep of the baby. At some point I decided to check out and look for another place to stay for the sake of the health of the baby. Unfortunately and I think that under the circumstances unfairly, the hotel increased my per night room rate precipitously. The two weeks I did stay apparently was not sufficient and the manager said that it would "not be fair to Marriott" not to jack-up my rate for my entire stay. They claim that this is a extended-stay hotel but I would beg to differ. The size of the rooms would be fine for a long weekend but not longer. Based on the way in which I was treated and the size of the rooms, I can not recommend this property - especially for an "extended stay". It seems to me it makes more sense to spring for a Residence Inn or equivalent.

• Liked — The sheets were of acceptable quality.
  • Disliked — The small rooms - too small for an
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for five days, and booked it not only for the Tripadvisor reviews but because with a five-day booking they knock your rate down by $50.

On the plus side, it is very convenient to Dulles and one exit from the Air and Space Museum. It is near a CVS Drug store and a grocery store, and some good restaurants as well as fast food (Wendys, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC, etc.) Its more of a residential area though so dont expect the sit-down places to stay open much past 10pm--on Sunday night I ended up at the IHOP down the street with about 40 screaming teenagers.

The hotel has a pool for which they employ a lifeguard, and have a tiny strip of lawn for kids to play in, as well as a few toys for the kids laying around. Both are located right off of the parking lot though, so the swim is with exhaust fumes and you'd have to be very attentive with your kids. There is a walking trail nearby, and the exercise room was tiny but decent. The area is very quiet.

My room was pretty clean--my only concerns were the dirty bathroom floor and the room smelled vaguely of cigarettes despite the "non-smoking" status of the hotel. The kitchen was nice, stocked with dishes, small stove and microwave, and a full-sized refrigerator--they even remembered ice cube trays for the freezer.

The free internet worked fine though it could be extremely slow in the morning, to the point where it was just easier to use my phone to check email. And they have the TV sitting on a rotating platform so you can watch it from bed or the living area, which was a nice touch as well.

My main complaint was that for the amount of money they charge for the rooms ($189/night or $139 if you stay five days or more) I expected FAR more than what I got. The "morning snack" was a half-size bottle of orange or apple juice, and a barely edible muffin or danish--the kind you get at a gas station on a road trip.

Worst though was the total lack of housekeeping services. During my stay, a housekeeper came to my room only twice to "freshen" the room. That translates to emptying the trash bins and replacing the cheap rough cotton towels. One day they made the bed, the second I had thrown it together myself and they left it that way. You are only entitled to a full cleaning (vacuuming, changing your bed linens, cleaning the bathroom, etc.) if you stay for more than a week. I don't mind not changing my linens for environmental reasons, but I much prefer the hotels that give you the option to have especially dirty ones replaced daily. And for the price I was paying, I really don't think its too much to ask for housekeeping to clean the bathroom during their two visits--extended stay hotel or not.

All in all a decent place to stay if you need to be near Dulles, but I think you could do better at any of the other hotels nearby. The only reason to stay here is if you need the kitchenette.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

We have stayed at the TownePlace Suites many times. The management are extremely helpful. It is clean and convienent to Washington D.C.. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I chose this hotel because it had a 2-bedroom suite, was a reasonable price and was near the airport. I was a little hesitant to stay because it is a pet-friendly hotel and I have a 7-month-old baby and wanted a clean hotel. I did look into other suite hotels in the area, but they all seemed to be pet-friendly as well. The rooms at this hotel were fine – bedrooms were a decent size even with our pack-n-play set up, floors & carpet seemed clean and I didn’t have a problem putting my son down to play on a blanket on the floor. I did not see or hear any animals on the property. My guess is the majority of the guests stay here b/c of its proximity to the airport and not the fact that it’s pet-friendly. The hotel is also right off the main drag and there are lots of restaurants (chain) and grocery stores nearby which was convenient. I would stay at this hotel again if it had the best rate, but I would definitely look around at other properties as well.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to TownePlace Suites Chantilly Dulles South? Share your experiences!