“Find Somewhere Else - Anywhere Else” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #12 of 14 hotels in Chantilly
Washington DC
“Find Somewhere Else - Anywhere Else”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

My wife, six month old baby and I reserved a two bedroom suite from overseas as we were relocating to the Washington DC area. We specifically asked about whether the landing planes going into Dulles would be a problem and we were assured that they were barely audible. Unfortunately, this was not the case. The planes were so loud that it definitely interfered with the sleep of the baby. At some point I decided to check out and look for another place to stay for the sake of the health of the baby. Unfortunately and I think that under the circumstances unfairly, the hotel increased my per night room rate precipitously. The two weeks I did stay apparently was not sufficient and the manager said that it would "not be fair to Marriott" not to jack-up my rate for my entire stay. They claim that this is a extended-stay hotel but I would beg to differ. The size of the rooms would be fine for a long weekend but not longer. Based on the way in which I was treated and the size of the rooms, I can not recommend this property - especially for an "extended stay". It seems to me it makes more sense to spring for a Residence Inn or equivalent.

• Liked — The sheets were of acceptable quality.
  • Disliked — The small rooms - too small for an
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

34 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for five days, and booked it not only for the Tripadvisor reviews but because with a five-day booking they knock your rate down by $50.

On the plus side, it is very convenient to Dulles and one exit from the Air and Space Museum. It is near a CVS Drug store and a grocery store, and some good restaurants as well as fast food (Wendys, Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC, etc.) Its more of a residential area though so dont expect the sit-down places to stay open much past 10pm--on Sunday night I ended up at the IHOP down the street with about 40 screaming teenagers.

The hotel has a pool for which they employ a lifeguard, and have a tiny strip of lawn for kids to play in, as well as a few toys for the kids laying around. Both are located right off of the parking lot though, so the swim is with exhaust fumes and you'd have to be very attentive with your kids. There is a walking trail nearby, and the exercise room was tiny but decent. The area is very quiet.

My room was pretty clean--my only concerns were the dirty bathroom floor and the room smelled vaguely of cigarettes despite the "non-smoking" status of the hotel. The kitchen was nice, stocked with dishes, small stove and microwave, and a full-sized refrigerator--they even remembered ice cube trays for the freezer.

The free internet worked fine though it could be extremely slow in the morning, to the point where it was just easier to use my phone to check email. And they have the TV sitting on a rotating platform so you can watch it from bed or the living area, which was a nice touch as well.

My main complaint was that for the amount of money they charge for the rooms ($189/night or $139 if you stay five days or more) I expected FAR more than what I got. The "morning snack" was a half-size bottle of orange or apple juice, and a barely edible muffin or danish--the kind you get at a gas station on a road trip.

Worst though was the total lack of housekeeping services. During my stay, a housekeeper came to my room only twice to "freshen" the room. That translates to emptying the trash bins and replacing the cheap rough cotton towels. One day they made the bed, the second I had thrown it together myself and they left it that way. You are only entitled to a full cleaning (vacuuming, changing your bed linens, cleaning the bathroom, etc.) if you stay for more than a week. I don't mind not changing my linens for environmental reasons, but I much prefer the hotels that give you the option to have especially dirty ones replaced daily. And for the price I was paying, I really don't think its too much to ask for housekeeping to clean the bathroom during their two visits--extended stay hotel or not.

All in all a decent place to stay if you need to be near Dulles, but I think you could do better at any of the other hotels nearby. The only reason to stay here is if you need the kitchenette.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

We have stayed at the TownePlace Suites many times. The management are extremely helpful. It is clean and convienent to Washington D.C.. I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I chose this hotel because it had a 2-bedroom suite, was a reasonable price and was near the airport. I was a little hesitant to stay because it is a pet-friendly hotel and I have a 7-month-old baby and wanted a clean hotel. I did look into other suite hotels in the area, but they all seemed to be pet-friendly as well. The rooms at this hotel were fine – bedrooms were a decent size even with our pack-n-play set up, floors & carpet seemed clean and I didn’t have a problem putting my son down to play on a blanket on the floor. I did not see or hear any animals on the property. My guess is the majority of the guests stay here b/c of its proximity to the airport and not the fact that it’s pet-friendly. The hotel is also right off the main drag and there are lots of restaurants (chain) and grocery stores nearby which was convenient. I would stay at this hotel again if it had the best rate, but I would definitely look around at other properties as well.

• Stayed May 2005
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2005

We stayed at the TownePlace Chantilly for three days in November while visiting Washington, DC. I found it while looking for a pet-friendly hotel that would allow us to leave our dog crated in the room while we were out sightseeing. The suite was a lovely, clean, compact room with a little kitchen, king size bed, a table and a little "living room" area. The staff was friendly and helpful--and they even greeted our pets, a little terrier and a parakeet! In the morning there was juice and pastries in the lobby and every night they put out cookies. (There were also other "real" foods like soup you could buy to use in your room.) The TownePlace was in walking distance from a Bob Evans' Restaurant which also had a friendly staff and good food (we especially enjoyed their pumpkin bread).

Although the TownePlace was under the landing pattern for Dulles Airport, we NEVER heard any aircraft noise within our room. My husband, an airplane buff, loved standing outside in the parking lot watching the planes! The hotel is about three miles down the road from the Smithsonian Institution's Udvar-Hazy Center, which is a mecca for airplane buffs. The hotel is also a short drive (one or two exits down the freeway) from a Metro station so you don't have to drive into the city.

Very, very heartily recommended.

• Stayed January 2005

Been to TownePlace Suites Chantilly Dulles South? Share your experiences!