“Even good for the apprehensive!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Don Churro Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 129 Restaurants in Chantilly
Cuisines: South American
Dining options: Dinner
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Route 50
Description: Don Churro Cafe is a hidden gem located in Chantilly, Virginia specializing in authentic dishes from Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, Chile, Argentina, Colombia, and Spain. Named one of the region's Best New Restaurants by Northern Virginia Magazine, Don Churro Cafe presents delicacies from the expansive dinner menu, such as ceviche peruano, empanadas and saltenas, gambas al ajillo, Ecuadorian llapingachos, bandeja paisa, and Venezuelan arepas. Homemade churros piped full of manjar blanco (caramel) or delicious Nutella are sprinkled with powdered sugar for good measure. To ensure the quality of our food, all dishes are cooked to order using the freshest ingredients. The chef uses canola or olive oil in all of our dishes, organic coffee in our specialty coffees and recycles all its cooking oil. Visit our menu and events at www.gotchurros.com or at our Facebook page and "Discover the most authentic delicacies of the Latin world without ever leaving your neighborhood."
dnialcdlo
“Even good for the apprehensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband LOVES dragging me to ethic restaurants to see what the heck I'm going to choose to eat. We were pleasantly surprised! I was expecting Mexican type food and it was not. I'm not quite sure what it was although I think South American. The food was all very normal food everyone would recognize - just not necessarily together. For instance, my meal had seasoned chicken, rice, french fries, gravy, and fried plantains. It was amazing although I had never had all those things together. They were really good though! We actually went about a year ago and have been back at least 4 more times and I've ordered something different every time and have been happy every time! It's rarely crowded and the staff is friendly. There was once that everyone's food came out at different times. They were apologetic and gave us free dessert to make things right. The churro with Nutella was quite yummy!

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

66% Recommend
Centreville, Virginia
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This restaurant has a critical management problem. The food is good however the service is very disappointing. Managers (female) needs to learn how to apologize to customers and provide an effective training to their staff (servers and cooks). During busy hours the restaurant’s management should be prepared for high volume of customers and manager should not expect that customers understand that the kitchen is busy. I waited for about an hour for my food after that I lost my appetite. The restaurant’s owners may choose not to pay attention to this post but if they do, honestly they should consider change the way how they operate this business.
I will never go back to this place.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Haymarket, Virginia, USA
“Decent Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

The arroz con pollo was underwhelming (bland and mushy), but the appetizers were tasty, as was the skirt steak.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington DC
“Good Food....Bad Dessert”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This little restaurant seemed like a hole in the wall, but we were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere and menu options (from many different South American Countries!). The tapas menu options were a little pricey, but my husband and I got the pulled beef on corn cakes, a baked potato stuffed with beef, egg, and cheese, and garlic shrimp. All three of these things were delicious! For dessert, we got the traditional churros with nutella and this flat cookie with a caramel cream in the middle. The cookie was very dry and bland. The churros were barely sugared and very doughy. Overall the meal was about $40 for 2 including tax and tip. The food itself was good, but expensive not filling and the desserts were disappointing, so I don't think we'll be going back. If you do go, skip dessert.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic Peruvian food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012 via mobile

Fantastic food in a small strip mall restaurant. Food portions and price was just right. Meal was delicious. I got a Living Social coupon to use and am so glade to have been introduced to this place. They don't do lunch menu on the weekends, so order from the main menu; was a little confusing in the beginning.

• 5 of 5 stars Food