“great museum for family fun” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Science Museums, Specialty Museums, Museums
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
lovet-travel11
“great museum for family fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2014 NEW

We visited this museum during our Christmas holiday. The museum offer a program called Tech Quest for kids about 10 years old. I saw younger kids (below 10 years) participating and my son is only 8 years old. My son needs my help to complete his "secret intelligence agent" job. He and I spent about 2 hours on working out a plan to rescue a USA crashed airplane in U.S.S.R. during cold war. We collected information by following the guide book clues and interacting with "senior advisers". It's cool.

Visited December 2014

Charleston, South Carolina
18 attraction reviews
“It's A Long Way from DC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2014 NEW

The collection of planes and space crafts is awesome, getting there is not.

My husband was not anxious to drive from Alexandria, where we were staying in a hotel, to Chantilly. I understood that it was foggy and rainy and that the highways were busy so I agreed to use public transportation. That was not a good decision. The journey from our hotel to the museum took almost three hours, one way, by subway and bus. No, we did not get lost. No, it was not rush hour. We followed directions. We rode two subway lines, one of them to the end of the line, and then had a 45 minute bus ride. I was already tired when we arrived. I certainly was not looking forward to the return trip and actually cut our visit to the museum a little short because of it.

We chose to take a free guided tour of the museum. The volunteer docent was a retired Air Force pilot who did an outstanding job. I recommend taking this tour. We learned many interesting things from our guide that we would never have otherwise found out. He very much tailored it to the interests of the people in the group.

Other things to know:

Admission is free but it costs $15.00 to park a car.
The food concession is held by McDonalds and the museum is far from any other place to eat or even buy a snack.
It took over 2 and 1/2 hours to return to Alexandria.

Visited December 2014
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
“air museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2014 NEW

we were excited to see all the full sized planes, plus history that goes with it. on top of that there were many artifacts that have to do with flying, millitary and civillian. For us it was definetly worth the drive from washington d.c.

Visited March 2014
Tampa, Florida
13 attraction reviews
“Spectacular Exhibit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2014 NEW

Great way to spend time between connections in Dulles, if you have several hours. Easy bus ride there, with lockers for carry on size bags. I can't begin to name all the airplanes. Space Shuttle Discovery, Concorde, Enola Gay, B-29, and Japanese and German war planes.

Visited November 2014
Parkersburg, West Virginia
5 attraction reviews
“Great way to spend a day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2014

This is wonderful place to spend a day especially with my space obsessed 3 year old. Spectacular collection of air craft to view. The have a wonderful story time for the little ones.

Visited November 2014

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.