“Bring your own food if you can” 5 of 5 stars

Useful Information: Activities for older children
Attraction Details
Useful Information: Activities for older children
5 attraction reviews
“Bring your own food if you can”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

The museum is Great. I went with my son and brother both of whom are fans. TBH I was expecting to be bored as I am not into Air and Space but I wasn't. It is a fascinating place.

Took in a Movie - Hubble which was AMAZING. Well worth the few quid. The staff in the Movie theater, the welcome desk, the store and around were extremely friendly and professional.

The McDonald's (the only eating place there) is a total Disaster.
I was there on a weekday in Nov and the place was quite quiet but the line for food in McDs was Massive the service was extremely SLOW the floor in both the food preparation area and the eating area was FILTHY the staff were sullen and slow. The food was COLD but I didn't have the will or patience to return it. Also standing in the line for so long left me exhausted.

Shanghai, China
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Amazing place. So much history in one place. Great exhibition and good facilities. Discovery space shuttle is worth the trip

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
25 attraction reviews
“don t leave Washington without seeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

if you think that you have seen ""the"" Air and Space museum Washington , you must have been at the mall where all the museums are ..........

Indeed a very nice museum but if you are into flying and want see the ""real things "" , don t mis this air and space museum near Dulles airport where history and present are exhibited in real things.

From blackbird to solar challenger , .from messerschmitt to mustang from first men fligt till the space shuttle.......and beyond.

FREE ENTRANCE however a 15 $ parking fee

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
“We thought our 12 yr old girls would be bored, but LOVED it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband has always been an aviation fan, and I've always loved the Smithsonian museums, so we decided to take our 12 yr old girls to the Dulles branch of the National Air and Space Museum. They absolutely loved it!
We spent our entire day there casually strolling through all the exhibits, first heading to the Space Shuttle on display. It was amazing to see an actual space shuttle so close up. As one who remembers the tragic accidents the U.S. experienced in its shuttle fleet, it was incredible to be able to see the tiles that were designed to protect the shuttle. We loved seeing the evolution of space flight as well.
We enjoyed all the other galleries, too. It was easy for all of us to read the narratives that accompanied each item on display. The girls had fun, too, as we took photos of them pretending to be sucked into a huge engine or "holding up" many of the aircraft suspended from the ceilings.
After we watched an IMAX movie, we went back to watch two more! Although there was an extra fee for the IMAX movies, they were well worth it.
For me the best part was riding in a simulator with my husband. The simulators cost extra, but it was the best money we spent all day! It was so realistic, and my husband did not really have control of the "jet," so I alternated between screaming and laughing so hard it hurt!
The only negative was that the only food venue is a McDonald's, which doesn't exactly offer lots of healthy options. Also, the demand at lunchtime made the restaurant feel like a zoo.
Our girls talked about our day to family and friends for weeks, and we can't wait to go back, despite the nearly 3-hour car ride to get there!

Visited August 2013
12 attraction reviews
“Aerospace Heaven!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This beautifully maintained, superbly designed centre has a wonderful array of aerospace exhibits that chart aviation from its beginnings to the space shuttle. Real air and space craft are the stars - sitting proudly front and centre. The layout is great. There are many elevated viewpoints and abundant opportunities for photography. Free guided tours are frequent and led by knowledgeable docents. There's an elevated tower that looks onto Washington Dulles Airport and an IMAX theatre. A wonderful outing. Admission free, but $15 to park.

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Herndon, Fairfax County

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.