Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Bowie, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Well worth you time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

So much history in this bldg. It was almost breathtaking to see the Discovery. Such a magnificent piece of our history. The ENOLA GAY and Blackbird gave many visitors wonderful photo ops. Everyone seemed to be as taken back as I was to see such historical reminders of the past. So much to see and learn about. You can tour on your own or take a free guided tour. You will certainly be glad you took the time to visit!!

“Stunning!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This Air and Space Museum is a must see attraction if your in the DC or Northern Virginia area. I took my whole family of which I have younger kids ages 6 & 9 and we all really enjoyed this beautiful museum. Don't miss out!!

Carleton, Michigan, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Most awesome museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Of all the Smithsonian museums, this had to be the most incredible! Exhibits were from every aspect of air travel from the Wright Brothers to the Space Station. My son happened to be studying certain aspects of air travel at the time and this really tied in well. We had visited several of the museums in the Smithsonian row the previous day and decided that this one need the whole day to explore. We were right. We did see a couple of the IMAX movies that took up no more than 45 minutes each. Very well timed for the content and still allowed us to see the rest of the museum. I think the highlight for me was the NASA room where a recording of a Shuttle take-off was playing on perpetual rotation on a humongous screen with the most awesome sound system so that you could "feel" the lift-off. Amazing! A must see for anyone visiting DC.

Visited July 2012
Tucson, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
“Enjoy the planes and the show”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

This made a great way to spend a few hours in air conditioned comfort and out of the summer heat. The displays are well situated to make it interesting as well as informative. I especially loved the space hanger with missiles and the space shuttle. It was less crowded than the downtown museum so one could enjoy the displays.

IAH
24 attraction reviews
“Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I can't tell more than what already said in the other reviews.
The only reason I went there is for the Space Shuttle Orbiter Discovery and I was so glad I did.
That thing is so amazing & breathtaking. I'm sure everyone including those who are not so amused with museums would appreciate the orbiter.
This is a must see place in DC. The museum is filled with all kinds of airplanes.
All the displays are in one huge rectangular floor except for the shuttle & space displays, which are in a separate hall.
The parking is little steep at $15. You would need at least 2-3 hours but you can spend all day.
Do take the free guided tour, which is offered every hour. These tour guides are awesome. They are dedicated, love their job and more eager to answer all your questions.
I've taken many narrated tours but this is the best. These people are actual engineers, ex-airmen and/or worked in that industry so you would learn whole lot more from them than if you just walk around & try to learn by yourself. The tour would last about 1-2 hours depending on your guide. I learned a lot from the tour.
Unfortunately the day I went they lost power (a national disgrace) to the entire facility so they kicked us all out of museum floor in middle of the tour. The tour guide still continued the tour standing in the balcony of the top (entrance) floor pointing at each plane from the distance. The power didn't come back for the rest of the day so I didn't spend as much time as I wanted but I already spent about 2 hours and enough time with the shuttle.
I didn't get time to see the tower or IMAX movies because of the power outage. I need to go back again.
The other national disgrace is that the only place you can eat inside the National air & space museum is McD (seriously?)
There is nothing nearby so that's your only option. Do they really want to feed all the patrons of this great museum only with McD?
It's better if you pack & bring your own food. No outside food is allowed inside but there is plenty of space outside the museum building to sit and eat. Since there is no fee to enter the building o you can go out, eat in your car and come back anytime.
I would go back any day, any time to this place. This is highly recommended esp. if you are interested in air & space.

Visited June 2013

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.