“A must see in Washington”
Review of Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Certificate of Excellence 2013
Type: Museums, Specialty Museums, Science Museums
Useful Information: Activities for older children
567 visitor photos

There are newer reviews for Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center
Belfast, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A must see in Washington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a little biased because Washington DC is one of my favourite cities, but I really think you'd be hard pressed to find a city in the US as beautiful and with such a variety of wonderful cultural sights, one the highlights of which is the Air & Space museum. I have visited Washington DC twice and this has been a highlight both times. There is a great variety of exhibitions, both historical and scientific and plenty to interest children. Apollo 13 and the Spirit of St Louis are amazing to see, but remember to look up as you come in!

There is a food court of fast food and the service is very quick and the gift shop is very extensive.

Really brilliant!

Visited October 2012
Sylva, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Very different from the Air and Space Museum in downtown DC. A huge structure with so many old and wonderful aircraft. Nine-year-old granddaughter, with some explanations, left with a much better understanding of the evolution of aviation. The Discovery space shuttle and related items, such as small satellites, was impressive. There are guided walking tours for those who want to learn more. It is easy to walk around at your leisure without being pressed by people. There are tiers of walkways so you can look at the aircraft at floor level or from above. The one very disappointing experience and so unlike the Smithsonian is the so-called 3D simulator in the "simulator" area. I would recommend saving your money for something in the gift shop. It is NOT 3D and the film/graphics are so amateurish...so unlike the quality normally found at a Smithsonian. Parking is $15.00. There's a darn McDonald's inside and at lunchtime the lines were 50-70 people deep. Avoid 12-1 p.m. for lunch. I'd recommend two hours minimum. There are benches on the lower level.

Visited April 2013
Washington, DC
15 attraction reviews
“Only one thing to add..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

All the comments written are spot on! This place is just plain AWESOME! My six-year old was thrilled, but so were his parents! Just amazing. I was especially moved by seeing the Enola Gay and Discovery Space Shuttle. We arrived at 10:30 and went straight to the Observation Tower thinking we would avoid later in the day lines. Lots and planes coming and going and lovely view!
As we live in the area, I have learned it is always smart to peruse the website and understand what you can and cannot bring into any of the museums. This one states that no food is to be brought in. We packed our lunches in a cooler and as it is free to come and go, (after the 15.00 parking fee) we just left and ate our lunch outside. (had a warm, sunny day) So, if you need to watch your pennies, pack your lunch and enjoy it outside or in your car. Otherwise, there is a McD's inside. (as well as a gift shop.) Wear comfortable shoes!

Visited April 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
11 attraction reviews
“Hard to get there but it was well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Since I have a 2nd home in Washington, Dc and don't have a car, I try to get around using public transportation. This was no exception. I looked into TA and used its recommendations, took the blue or orange line from McPherson Square to Rosslyn and boardede the WMTA's 5A bus from Rosslyn to Dulles Intl Airport which was quite fast and efficient. The only drawback once arrived at Dulles for the Air & Space Shuttle, they stopped at the Dulles Town Center Mall, before getting to the Museum. I am an aviation buff and this museum has it all, I could have spend the whole day if it wasn't for the limitations put forth by the Air & Space Shuttle back to Dulles(once an hour up to 5:30pm). I took the free almost 2hr highlights tour and saw from the begiining of flight through the 30's, WWII,the Enola Gay, the Boeing 707, Concorde, SR71, the Space Shuttle(amazing and awesome). The guide was very well versed and very knowledgeable.Missed
the Korean War and Vietnam War fighter jets, which was not part of the highlights tour, but I'll be back.

Visited March 2013
Sacramento area, California
3 attraction reviews
“One word: Discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Spent the first night of our DC trip in Chantilly so that we could go to this museum and see Discovery. We are space shuttle nuts, saw Atlantis launch and Endeavour land, so this was a "bucket list" stop for us. The museum itself is like one huge airplane hanger with 3 levels to view everything from. They are constantly announcing the start of tours, where a guide with a microphone takes a group around the museum and explains the exhibits in detail. I heard many interesting facts as we passed by a group here and there. You can take bottled water in the museum, and food too which is nice. We got a locker for the day for 25 cents, and you get your quarter back at the end of the day!!! There is also McDonalds, and a nice big gift shop. We went on one of the two simulator rides (the single red one, not one of the several white ones that go upside down). It was pretty cheesy and tame for teens, not what I would call 3D as advertised. Not worth $7 for sure. Saw the fighter pilot IMAX movie, it was good. Nice stop for us before heading to DC!

Travelers who viewed Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center also viewed

Washington DC, DC

Been to Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.