“Quietly understated, class leading service and a great find.” 5 of 5 stars

The HHonors Weekend
Ranked #2 of 14 hotels in Chantilly
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Quietly understated, class leading service and a great find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I found this hotel on the HHonors site. I was surprised by the price and some of the reviews on here - both contradict each other.

First the price was fantastic. It was the price of a lower standard hotel. This isn't a motel folks - a breakfast serving, has an excercise room and the TV isn't chained down -- hotel.

It's clean, while older - well maintained. If you book now - their website warns you of construction. It's correct - the lobby is a bit torn up. But unlike other projects I have seen - its remarkably clean. It's all behind a finished temporary wall. You can't tell. They even made it a fixture in the lobby -- leaving notes of praise for staff and guests.

The rooms are very quiet and cleaned very well. I love the sticker on the elevator that reminds you that every duvet, pillow and quilt is washed - every guest, everytime. The rooms smelled fresh and clean.

This hotel does have the older HVAC below the window things -- they are oddly the quietest I've ever heard.

Being an environmental type guy - I also was impressed with the energy efficient lighting and the subtle reminders for everyone to do their part.

Breakfast had fresh selections and was constantly stocked. It stands out as a standard Hampton breakfast --- but it felt like people's cared.

Overall this property is a quiet, dynamic and well maintained place to stay. Even if you have pets - you won't notice any other pets.

Anytime I get stuck in Dulles -- which I'm sure I will (I manage it) I'm looking towards this property being my home away from home.

• Stayed December 2012

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of the Park-Stay and Go offering, as I was heading out on a morning flight.

The room was nice and clean. The bed and linens were nice. There was a pos-it note on the headboard telling me that all of the bedding was freshly washed and the bed made with all clean linens.

The staff was very nice and scheduled my van ride for 5:30 AM the next morning. The van was ready to go on-time. It was too early for the breakfast area to be open, but they had a brown bag with some breakfast snacks and a drink ready for me to take to the airport.

Upon returning around midnight I called the hotel and told them that I was ready to be picked up at the airport. By the time I had made my way down to the pickup area the van was pulling in and I was whisked away back to my vehicle.

I like this hotel and their service - I will stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The Hampton Inn Dulles South is located in an area that would be good for a business trip or if you needed a nice hotel because you were passing through the Dulles area. If you were coming to Washington DC for a family vacation, it's not in a tourist type location. It's located in a very safe location but on a busy thoroughfare and for that I was nervous as to what to expect. I work for a major airline so I'm in/out of hotels a lot.

What a surprise. From the moment I walked in the door, the front desk service was excellent. But what impressed me the most was how clean my room was! It was immaculate. I feel the housekeeper that cleaned my room should be the trainer for all hotels. I'm very picky about cleanliness and this room was fantastic!

I highly recommend this hotel for the great service and superior room!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Carnesville, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was the worst experience with a motel i've had in 55 years of travel. Staff doesn't have a clue what they were doing at check out. Paid for room with cash after reserving room with card. The card was charged for the amount of stay as well as the cash payment. When it was brought to their attention the next day the were suppose to remove the charge from the card instead they charged it again. I has been 4 days now and still the charges to the card hasn't been corrected. Looks like we may have to complain to corperate headquarters.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HamptonDullesSouth, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport South, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello stephanie r,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Dulles South for your stay and for providing us feedback! We appreciate every feedback given as we are constantly striving to improve the level of service offered by the hotel and its team members.

I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations with regards to the belling issue you experienced. I can imagine how unpleasant it must have been. I have spoken to you this morning and rectified the billing issue. You can rest assured that the situation you have described is not indicative of the Hotel’s standards and we consider this situation to be acceptable. We will be re-training our Guest Services Personnel in order to increase our billing accuracy and guests’ experience with us.

We have enjoyed having you as our Guest and we hope that you come back to see us again so that we can show your our true hospitality!

Regards,
Rodrigo Ribeiro Assistant General Manager
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've stayed at this Hampton Inn multiple times over the last 4 years, and it just keeps improving! My first stay had me wondering if I had made a bad location choice, as it's smack in the middle of a very industrial area. Additionally, flights arriving at/departing from Dulles can up the background noise. Significantly. But the hotel is clean, comfortable, and conveniently located to Dulles, Fairfax/Chantilly, and the several contractor/government facilities in the area around it. I've stayed in both double and king rooms, and recommend either, as long as the room is on the east side of the hotel -- the west side rooms (facing the Pepsi plant) get the most aircraft noise. Very friendly staff -- they make you welcome, are always smiling, and are willing to accommodate your requests. Yes, it's an older Hampton, but the furnishings look renovated -- the bathroom was clean, the hot water plentiful, the flat screen TV crisp and clear on most channels, and the WiFi service was easy and quick to use. The rates were surprisingly low given the location (maybe I shouldn't have said that?). I heartily recommend this Hampton Inn for business travelers looking for something close to Dulles and the contractor/federal corridor out by Fairfax! There are some good food options in the local area as well, including ethic Indian, Thai and Hispanic just half a block away. Breakfast at the hotel is traditional Hampton Inn -- good, but not premium. If you don't like anything they offer, perhaps you're looking for a Hilton or Embassy Suites...

Room Tip: West side gets aircraft noise, so ask for a room on the east side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

We are Hampton regulars and stayed 2 nights at this property with 2 rooms. The good news for this property :
1) The Staff are amazing and VERY VERY friendly front desk service.
2) The Shuttle to the museum and other close locations is GREAT !
3) The rooms are clean
4) Nice & large breakfast spot with fresh cut fruit offered at the tables.
5) Comfy beds and & pillows.

Some weak spots :
1) Property accepts dogs so be prepared for barking and some smells and noises.
2) Rooms are somewhat dated with sinks outside the room which some people may not like.
3) Older looking rooms

Overall, happy with our stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Had a pleasant stay here while in the area for two days of business. Well trained staff was easy to work with, room was clean, bed was comfortable, internet worked well and breakfast was typical Hampton breakfast - better than a cold breakfast with several hot items, but not as good as a made to order hot breakfast. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport South? Share your experiences!