“EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Santa Rosa, Ca
“EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Treated like the royal family.
Arrived early...no problem on the Free Shuttle from the Airport. Found a room and had it cleaned while we enjoyed the complementary breakfast. Room was ready after about 1/2 hour.
Wi-Fi worked perfect and TV had great reception. Got settled in and went to the Air and Space Museum using the free Shuttle. Picked up by Free Shuttle after about 4 hours and returned to hotel.
All in all one of the best and least expensive places we have stay.
Only negative is that there isn't a good place to eat near by so plan on a taxi.

Room Tip: Try to be on the entry side of the build. The back side in on the freeway and flight path of Dulles...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Puebla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed in this Hotel for a week, since I did not had a car I was basically locked down in the area.
Theres nothing relly in a walking distance, or public transportation near. Since the hotel is near the airport, which is convenient, is in the middle of a businnes area. There are no views from this hotel, other than U Hauel store, Pepsi warehouse, electric materials warehouse, so it was boring.
The hot tub pump did not worked for a week, and a major water outage happened overnight, we were informed, but it means this Hotel is old and needs major upgrades. Elevators are old.
Attention was very good from staff, which compensates lack of other stuff.
So, if you are not in the Hotel for sleep night only, you will be very unhappy.
Breakfast is the so-so typicall from Hampton Inns.
Overall, is just a for sleep and go on the run.

Room Tip: Theres nothing extraordinary, any room is the same through the Hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Smaller than average rooms with closet size bathroom. Employee (or friend of an employee) with dog in lobby. Friendly receptionist.

• Stayed May 2012
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed 2 nights last week while enroute to our daughter's college graduation. Everything was just right and as it should be, including the price. Shuttle service was fantastic as they both picked us up at the airport at midnight and took us to and picked us up from the Udvar Hazy Air & Space Museum for free. We called ahead to pre-arrange the late airport pickup and they told us when the shuttle isn't running they will pay for cab fare, but call first to get the detals on that. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

I was cheduled to take an inforsec course here and let me just say...The hotel, especially the front desk clerks, were far above my expectations...from finding local restuarants to helping plan my trip back to New york...at one point i needed directions and one of them actuallly walked out and showed me where it was. All in all I just happened to stumble upon this place but I'm glad I did...great customer service, comfy beds....its definitely a win in my book

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Smithfield, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We chose this hotel based on the 24 hr airport shuttle. Hotel itself was ok, fairly confortable and clean, however the shuttle service was a disappointment. Our flight arrived back in DC at 230am following a delay (American Airlines...are you surprised?) Shuttle took in excess of an hour after 3 calls...Hotel is 10 min drive from airport. We were very disappointed in the shuttle delay and the high cost of the park and fly option. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed at this property for one night prior to an early morning flight from Dulles. Upon arrival and check-in I told the front desk attendant that I needed a shuttle ride at 6 AM the next morning (I had called not once, but twice prior to booking and arrival to ensure I could get a shuttle that early and was told it would not be any problem), and was told that she did not have a shuttle driver until 7 the next morning. She somewhat suggested that perhaps I could wait until 7 to leave - sorry, no- not for an 8AM flight out of Dulles, no less! So, she ended up calling a cab company and arranging for a cab to pick us up, at the hotel's expense. Which was fine, but her tone of voice on the phone with the cab company in front of me, was like "I have to do this AGAIN for another stupid guest". Strike one. Check in went smoothly after that, and the room itself was nice - however was very musty, almost humid, and that smell did not go away once we turned on the AC (thinking we could clear the air a bit). I am a HHonors silver member and there was chocolate, water, a granola bar, and a letter from the manager containing my points total on the nightstand. Nice touch. The room was clean - standard Hampton room, but the AC even on low was the loudest thing I ever heard. Loud enough to drown out the TV. We arrived at about 5:15ish, went upstairs to get settled and rested for a bit, and came back down later because we had seen a retail store on our way in that we wanted to visit. We googled it, and it was 2.2 miles away, and from what we understood, within the 3 mile radius serviced by the shuttle. We inquired back at the front desk, same attendant with a very thick new york accent, and were told that the shuttle had gone to pick someone up from the same area, and could we come back in 15-20 minutes and he'd be happy to take us - this was after she verbally doubted the distance to the store, and called the driver to be sure he went there - which again, fine, but she spoke in Spanish to the driver and I picked up on her conversation that she didn't think we would come back down to use him for a ride. She didn't offer to ring us when he arrived; just dismissed us. Strike 2. We went up to our room, got a plan together for shopping and a place for dinner in the same area, went back down fifteen minutes later, inquired to the same attendant who then told us that the driver now had to take someone to the airport, and that the shuttle was on a first-come, first-served basis. Again, we had inquired now, 40 minutes prior to this, were not told there was anyone ahead of us, and furthermore, the store/area we wanted to visit was on the way to the airport! She didn't expect him to be back for another 20-25 minutes - would we just come back then? Well, heck no. It was now about 7:15 - by the time we got the shuttle (if he actually existed), we wouldn't have more than an hour to shop before they closed (which she so kindly pointed out, as if to detract us from using said shuttle). When I suggested that OK, no shopping, maybe we'd just have him take us to dinner - she completely discouraged us from using the shuttle to do that - threw take out menus at us and said Here! Just order in! Why do you want to go out anyway!?!?!?? Because we don't want to be stuck in a room for the rest of the night! That's why! Strike 3. So, irritated and frustrated with the situation, we gave up and asked her for a suggestion on a good place for take out and she suggested mexican food. Not our first choice of course - we had talked steak before, but again, you're at the mercy of people at the front desk sometimes and this was apparently one of them, whether we liked it or not. We called and ordered from the Mexican restaurant (el fresca), at 7:40ish. Our food did not arrive until after 9, and the delivery person was allowed to come to our room to deliver - which is not typical for any hotel I've been in, and I didn't really like that. The food was decent but during the time we were waiting (it took 2 calls after ordering to get the food there), we went downstairs to try and find a soda, juice, or something to tide us over and the "suite shop" was bare. Nothing but diet soda, no snacks, anything. Same attendant questioned what I was looking for, and I told her why I was looking for something to eat and that it had been over an hour since we had ordered food. I asked if she had any other soda, etc. in back and was simply told "no". No offer to help, nothing. I picked this hotel for it's proximity to Dulles, and because of the reviews on the shuttle service and service in general. I won't be back to this hotel, and in fact, I'm thinking about moving my loyalty over to Marriott brands instead of Hilton with a hopefully better experience across the board, and am seriously contemplating calling the HHonors line about this experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
WashDCHotels, Owner and Management Representative at Hampton Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport South, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Hello gardentraveler1,

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed and thorough review of your stay with us. Your time and effort in writing this will be very helpful in allowing us to improve our service and provide all out guests with a great experience.

Having said that we are very sorry for the experience that you had with the shuttle service; what you experienced is certainly not typical nor is it acceptable to us. We have taken immediate steps to re-train not only our shuttle drivers but our front desk team as well to make sure they are doing everything they can for our guests. We are also disappointed to hear that we weren’t able to provide you with some snacks to help hold you over to dinner. This is another item that we are reviewing with the team to ensure we have our sundry shop well stocked at all times.

We hope that you would be willing to give us a second chance to prove to you that we can do things right and provide the service our guests deserve all the time.

The Hampton Inn Dulles Airport South Team

Been to Hampton Inn Washington-Dulles Int'l Airport South? Share your experiences!