“Best sushi/sashimi in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Vonore, Tennessee
“Best sushi/sashimi in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We visited this restaurant at least once a month when we lived in South Riding. Or we did take out. Now we don't get there too often. We miss it. The salmon sashimi is always excellent. We usually get sushi or sashimi, but have had the tempura and other dishes which are quite good. The teriyaki dishes have too much onion for me. The tempura batter is usually light and they usually use fresh oil to fry. We love the gyoza and naruto maki (cucumber, crab, egg) appetizers. Service is always excellent.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Berlin, Germany
“A mixed performance, but worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a family meal here. The service was friendly and the food was pretty good. On the sushi front, they were out of toro, but the maguro and yellowtail were pretty fresh tasting. The best thing about this place is that the menu covers a lot of the simple popular dishes that some fancier Japanese restaurants do not make. A good example is katsudon. It's very basic food, but I love it, and I was thrilled to see it on the menu. It was pretty good. The curry beef on the other hand was pretty weak. The tempura was excellent - not soggy or greasy tasting. The yakisoba was not as good as you can easily make at home - edible, but not worth crossing the street for. So overall, average but it is really a mix of good and not so good.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The food here is great and the service is very good. The sushi is reasonably priced and aso very good. I very much reccommend going here.

Visited November 2011
Manassas, Virginia
“Excellent Sushi in a Great enviornment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I admit to being worried when I moved out to Centreville - I was certain that all the food options would be chains and burger joints.

I was so pleased to find Matsu right in my neighborhood. I've dined there three times now and haven't been disappointed. The sushi is consistently fresh, they completely understand my special requests (none of that mayo-y schmear when I want something spicy and no cucumbers) and the price is very reasonable!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee
“Too Too Funky Rolls, and more...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

This modest Japanese restaurant is nestled in a suburban strip mall. We visited on a Thursday evening around 6:30pm without reservations and were immediately seated in the nearly full establishment. Inside the well-lit dining room there is ample room for a large party as well as intimacy for a couple.

The menu features a variety of Japanese fare - sushi, sashimi, tempura, salads, and several combination platters. Adult libations are limited to beer and wine. On our waitress's suggestion, we started with cold Ichiban and Sapporo beers accompanied by small hot sakis. Though unusual to me, the combination hit the mark. Our waitresses were very - almost overly - attentive during the ordering process, and made several passes to check on our meal. The Avocado Salad was deliciously topped with a sesame dressing that was near drinkable it was so tasty. The "Too Too Funky Roll" was the highlight of the meal - a crisped California roll stuffed with cream cheese, crab, and avocado topped with two deliciously creamy sauces. Our dinner sample platter featured buttery yellowtail, above-average tuna and salmon sushi, along with standard sashimi and a California roll. Overall, the presentations were wonderful - artistically pleasing and arranged just right on the custom curvaceous platters.

• Visited September 2012