“Stunningly good food and service in a non-descript Strip Mall” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sally station
Centreville, Virginia
“Stunningly good food and service in a non-descript Strip Mall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We've now eaten at Indian Ocean three times and can honestly say it is the best Indian food we've had anywhere we've lived and as retired military, that's a lot of places.

From their freshly made breads to their great desserts, this is truly a special restaurant. We've yet to experience any dish that wasn't excellent. Our appetizer on our most recent visit, the Khumb Lajawab was truly special with fresh ingredients and perfectly spiced. For the main dish my wife had the Aabe-Gosht Garam Masala a lamb curry with their own masala while I had the Tandoori Chicken. Both were perfectly spiced and beautifully presented. We had the lacha parata bread which is to die for and finished it all off with saffron sherbet.

If you're in Fairfax County you should go to this restaurant. The owner visits every table throughout the night making recommendations and explaining in great detail every dish. Just go, you will not regret it.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unforgettable Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I don't even know where to begin but, I can tell you, fellow Yelpers, my husband and I have not been able to get our culinary experience here last week out of our minds and this too after several days of home made Indian food. This was one of the BEST Indian restaurants I've been to in my life, which I think is impressive considering I was born there and eat Indian food often. The food is Ayurvedic so it's healthier. They cook without ghee, they grind their own spices and make their own paneer, and their vegetables are local and organic. The chef is Indian and has been around forever and studied in France. Indian Ocean used to be in DC where it was very successful but the owner moved it to the Centreville to be closer to his family, which I mad respect. We were in such a hurry that night but were so pleased with the food that we had to talk to the owner and learn about the restaurant.

The food is not fusion but they have some really interesting and unique items. We got the flash friend spinach, the portabello mushroom app, the eggplant with cheese main dish, the rosemary parotha for the veggie options and my husband ate a few of the meat dishes. We did not regret getting so much because it was so good! The dishes were so flavorful and without needing all the cream and butter.

The service was great-fast, attentive, and pleasant and they were willing to work with the mere 30 minutes we had to eat,which we so appreciated since it was our wedding anniversary.

We will definitely be back to try everything and though we typically don't like to go so far out into the 'burbs, we believe Indian Ocean is totally worth the trip. I would go so far as to say it rivals Rasika except it's not as expensive.

We didn't go for the buffet but I know when we once returned to an amazing restaurant in NJ run by the Moghul Catering Company, we had the buffet and were disappointed. I just don't think you can make food great when serving in a buffet.

Enjoy it!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fabulous Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We picked up take out from here and it was a great experience from start to finish. Ordering was easy & the order was repeated back to me. Food was ready when they said it would be, and oh man, was it worth what we paid. We started with the vegetable samosas, which were a little light on peas for my preference, but very tasty. My husband had Butter Chicken, and I had Chicken Korma. Both had tender pieces of chicken and delectable sauces. We ordered two kinds of naan ( regular and garlic) and both were soft and crispy vehicles for mopping up extra sauce. Basmati rice was perfexlctly cooked. Plus, the whole place smelled like naan and Indian spices. I know there are a lot if Indian restaurants in strip malls in the DC area, but this is the best I've had!

• Visited June 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Fresh ingredients, traditional fare with flair...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our party of four's first visit to Indian Ocean was on a Sunday evening. We were the only patrons when we arrived, but the seats gradually filled as we dined. The dining room of this eight-month-old restaurant was tastefully designed and appointed, and the staff members were friendly and efficient. Restauranteur/owner Raj Kapoor visited our table several times to check on us. He respected our privacy while providing just the right mix of professionalism and personality.

We started with the Zaafrani Chicken Tikka Malai, a tender & smooth half chicken breast marinated in saffron, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and light cream cheese, then char-grilled in a clay oven and served with a mandarin orange salsa. Partnered with a loaf of naan and a Kingfisher beer, it was a perfect starter.

Our entrees were each delicious - Chicken Tikka Makhani (butter chicken), Creamy Coconut Curry Chicken, and (2) Chicken Biryani. The portions were perfectly sized and fairly priced. Be sure to try some garlic naan to mop up the sauces.

All ingredients are fresh - owner Raj claims there are no canned ingredients, nor preservatives in the kitchen. He further added that no oils or butter are used in Indian Ocean's Punjabi-influenced cooking, not even the butter chicken! Raj followed with a brief history of Indian restaurants and the 50-year-old butter chicken recipe - all a very interesting accompaniment to our dining.

We topped off our meal by sharing a slice of mango mousse cake with cardamom-touched cream. It had the consistency of cheese cake, no sugar in its preraration, and was a perfect ending to a wonderful meal.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Owner Raj Kapoor as he introduced himself to me is a THIEF. Read below.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I went after buffet was almost closed for Mothers Day occasion. I asked politely if it is okay to order from Menu. Owner said no prob and asked how spicy I wanted my food. I told him pretty spicy. As an Indian myself when I ate that food...my mouth burned with fire including my wife's. I eat spicy food regularly and am very much aware of how hot and spicy indian food can be. But this was unreal.

I read my credit card statement 3 days later holding the restaurant's receipt on my hand. Mr Raj Kapoor is the owner as he introduced himself to me and he is the one that rang the register. Charged me way more than what I paid. This proves his dishonesty and sooner or later he will get burned if he continues his immoral values.

BEWARE. Of course I will not go back. I dont trust him....his food....who knows what else he is also dishonest about.

• Visited May 2013