“Consistently Excellent Indian Cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Sally station
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Consistently Excellent Indian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have been here a couple of times and have been impressed on every visit. The meals are outstanding and thoughtfully well prepared. Each dish that we have tried has been tasteful and delicious but do note that medium spicy selections are still hot to most diners. I highly recommend the garlic naan bread with each meal which is perfectly done. The service is very good and the restaurant setting itself is quiet so that you can actually carry a conversation at normal voice levels. All the menu selections are reasonably priced according to their ingredients. We will continue to go back to Indian Ocean.

Woodbridge
“This was PERFECT...food, atmosphere, background music, gracious host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and I were picking up our nephew from Dulles Airport and wanted to treat him to a nice Indian dinner. We researched it and found "Indian Ocean" well rated and decided to try for a first time. It turned out that we found a long-lost owner/friend from a previous "favorite" Indian restaurant some 15 years ago ! What a wonderful restaurant Raj Kapoor has put together in Centreville, VA. His card says "...warm and elegant setting." That really describes this place! My wife would add "cozy" in that it is not a particularly large restaurant, but you might say "Just right." Seating is spaced comfortably. If you are into decor, again, as my wife particularly is, she pointed out the soothing colors, comfortable seating, and comfortable lighting (soft, but bright enough that I could easily read my menu). The owner, Raj Kapoor is an ever-present figure in the restaurant. We have found that this is critical to a well-run restaurant. He oversees all aspects of the restaurant, and loves a good conversation if you indicate that you appreciate such. He aims to serve you so that you are a pleased customer and leave, really, as a valued friend that had dinner at his personal home. I think this would be a GREAT date night dinner for two.
OK, fine you say, but what about why we REALLY came here !??? For the food! I can only agree with so many other satisfied advisors on here. This is a very wonderful Indian restaurant that will bring you back for dish after dish. From the appetizer list (these are our FAVORITE samosas- not hard and crunchy/greasy, but rather moist, perfect shell with our perfect level of spicing). Entrees ? Wonderful menu to pour over (take your time, this is gonna be special !) I like everything they have- I know because Raj told me he has his same chefs from many years ago, and I have tried most items on the menu. The sauce dishes are all great, but the biryanis are better than most Indian restaurants because they do NOT skimp on the items, i.e. lamb, chicken, shrimp, etc. that you order to go in the rice.
Food items are always fresh, BTW. We ordered a pumpkin soup that was out-of-this-world. Kinda different from any we have had before, but again, GREAT.

Well, to finish our dinner from last night off, we ordered the kheer (sort of like rice pudding, but better). Again, I will go out on a limb and say that after all of the Indian restaurants we have eaten in around the world, I like his kheer THEE best. It s the perfect finish to a great Indian meal, and this is not too sweet, nor too bland.

Going to "Indian Ocean" will take quite a drive for us, but I think that we just have to do it ! And you should too. If you like Indian, prepare to enjoy!

1 Thank foodfan57VA
Reston, Virginia
“Fantastic Indian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My family and I went to Indian Ocean recently for dinner and really enjoyed it. The food was excellent and the service was very friendly. Malai koftas are one our favorite dishes and these were probably the best we've had. We also had chicken tikka masala and gosht garam masala and both were excellent. The naan was delicious and had an excellent texture. The owner and staff were very welcoming and friendly to our two young daughters. We will definitely be back and were excited to see that they offer free delivery on orders over $25.

1 Thank Aaron R
Centreville, Virginia
“Great neighborhood Indian place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Wide selection on the lunch buffet, attentive service and clean, pleasant atmosphere. The food is tasty, and subtly spiced. Doesn't appear to use MSG, always a plus.

3 Thank expattyke
Centreville, Virginia
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Indian Ocean restaurant opened recently in the Giant Shopping Center on Stone Road. The owner ran a highly successful Indian restaurant in DC for over 10 years and now has opened this small but very good restaurant in Centreville. The menu offers a wide selection of items. We have eaten there 3 times and have been very pleased each time. The chef embraces an ayurvedic cooking philosophy that uses primarily fresh organic vegetables and avoids the use of dairy products and unhealthy oils. The difference can be tasted in the food. The staff is attentive and the atmosphere is very nice. They have a nice lunch buffet weekdays. I highly recommend the Indian Ocean.

• Visited September 2012