“Cozy little cabin in the woods near DC....” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Parks
Attraction Details
Arlington, Virginia
14 attraction reviews
“Cozy little cabin in the woods near DC....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We rented a camper cabin at Bull Run park for two nights. It was a 35 minute drive from DC with light traffic. The facilities were spotlessly clean and the few other campers we saw were pleasant. A lovely playground near the cabins made a fun distraction for the kids. The camp store was staffed from 8 to 8 and had a bit of anything you might have forgotten but the campground was a short drive from suburbia and we noticed a Walmart less than 10 minutes away.

We were a little uncomfortable because of how empty the campground was, one night we saw only one other family on the other side of the campground. There were probably 80 empty sites between us and them. Some campers would love this but I was a bit uncomfortable as all our other camping trips were to very popular crowded campgrounds. The kids prefer camping with other families and children to play with. I'm told that on the weekends they rent all the cabins and are much busier.

The water park was fun and crowded each day we went.

We spent a few hours exploring local civil war sites each day.

I would highly recommend this campground.

Visited August 2013

Fairfax, Virginia
70 attraction reviews
“Great place to shoot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This park has an amazing area for Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand, Sporting clays and Wobble trap. If you like to shoot or even if you never have this is a great spot. They have a beginner orientation that is low priced. The sporting clays is well laid out and fun.

Visited August 2013
4 attraction reviews
“Great alternative to a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My cousins just rented a cabin for an impromptu trip to the DC area. The cabins are small but have ac, fridge, front porch swing and fire area. No bathrooms in the cabins but there are showers and restrooms close by. For the weekend I believe it was @ $160. They really loved it. There is a water park there. The park is huge and great for walking and jogging. It is about a 30 min ride to the metro.

Visited July 2013
94 attraction reviews
“Great for gatherings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The park is large and there are plenty of shelters for group picnics and outings. There are two good playgrounds for the younger set. The campsites are laid out nicely so you can find the one you need easily. Plenty of good walking areas and trails and the bluebell display in the spring is really beautiful. The drive-through light show during the holidays is nice, but since they switched to LED lights a few years ago, I don't think there are nearly as many displays as at other drive-through light shows. I know it's expensive to add new displays, so they will continue to build it up slowly, but right now, it's not the best drive-through.

Visited June 2013
Centreville, Virginia
“Seems like a great place for family get togethers. I like the Nature aspect.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Years ago, this was an area where we took our little girl for some outdoor activities. It started to get very crowded, especially on the weekends. There are plenty of trails, open grass fields, picnic areas, a waterpark, camping area, and a frisbee "golf" course. There is a small entry fee for non local residents outside Fairfax and Prince William Counties, and the waterpark has a fee. I assume that there is food available at the camp grounds and at the waterpark, but not otherwise. There are restrooms around the park.

On the weekends, I would imagine you need to get there early to stakeout your picnic area. Any time we went was usually during the week so that we could miss the crowded weekends. This is especially if you are like me, and your objective is to photograph wildlife. There are owls in the area around the trails that run toward Bull Run Creek from the waterpark parking area. There are a couple of loops there consisting of a bit of wooden bridgework trails and dirt trails. I've not been fortunate enough to get photos, but it seems that every time I've walked there, I've encountered someone who has seen them that day.

Overall, as far as nature, trails and photo ops are concerned, I would rate this park as average to just below average. If you are going for the waterpark, picnic grounds, soccer fields and large family outings, this is probably worth a higher rating. I'd say a 2.5 on a 5 point scale for me.

Visited June 2013