“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Centreville
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Staying as career-long fan and user of Marriott hotels, SpringHill suites are one of my favorite choices for family stays: clean, affordable, and great service. Unfortunately, this typical hotel was a bit disappointing. First the room was not as clean as I expected. Normally, Marriott hotels are incredible in terms of cleaniness. So I was surprised when there was black mold in the shower and the carpet was in sorry shape. It appeared that this place was an older property that was only partially rehabbed. The most disappointing part was the lack of toiletries beyond the bar of soap and shampoo bottle: no lotion, no conditioner. My recommendation would be to avoid this place and stay at the SpringHill suites up the road in Sterling, which is a newer, nicer property.

Room Tip: My recommendation would be to avoid this place and stay at the SpringHill suites up the road in Ster...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Somewhere in the US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Nice place to stay... Good breakfast..clean hotel... the main issue.. woke up at about 3am heard some noise..thought it was my one daughters having a bad dream...turns out she was fine... It was someone "getting it on" In on of the room around me...either up stairs or down... thought it was just a couple no prob...as it turns out...sounds like it was more than just a couple..heard folks talking all at the same time there was moaning.... Very interesting disruption to my sleep..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

For this review I think I have to take into account that I stayed in a large room at a Hyatt Place the week before so was a little spoiled. That said I had to stay here because the Hyatt Place in Chantilly was booked for the class I was taking there.I stayed for 4 nights.
The traffic in this area is horrendous. It took over 20 minutes to go 4 miles from hotel to hotel so leave plenty of travel time for where ever you are going. And folks at my class that are local said it is always like that.
The room itself was fine for me by myself. I think it would have been a little more tight with 2 of us, especially with the closet at the foot of the bed. Can't imagine having more than 2 people in there. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable, I slept very well in it. I liked having a refrigerator and microwave in the room, saved a lot of money on meals. I even ate my breakfast in there while I was getting dressed as their free breakfast was mostly starchy stuff and I'm staying away from that. Plus 2 of the days I was there there were busloads full of kids that totally took over the dining area.
The only real complaint I have is that their pool water was so cold that I couldn't even swim in it. I ended up stretching and doing exercises in the whirlpool which was kind of annoying. Why in the world would they keep it that cold? Their fitness room looked nice though I didn't use it.
Some of the staff was helpful and pleasant, some not so much. I thought it was very pricey for what it was, but I guess that's cause it's near DC.

Room Tip: I liked staying at the end of the hall away from the elevators. It was pretty quiet and the stairs w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here so we were close enough to DC without the crazy downtown prices. The commute on the Metro was not terrible, we just had to plan ahead for where we were going. The room itself was clean and a good size for a couple with a small child. We had a pack-n-play on the "living room" side of the room which made it nice to have our privacy while still seeing our child. We had plenty of room and it was nice to have the fridge and microwave. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, and I am hard to please in that area! I even bought pillows since then to replicate those in the room because they were so comfortable. The only reason I took off one star is because the pool area was small and the kids were very loud. The lifeguard kept pacing around the pool, staring at my baby and I, which felt creepy. I am sure he was harmless and just doing his job, but I was glad that my husband (a Marine) was there with us. Overall, we had a great stay and would go again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on a trip to DC. Very nice breakfast area and mini shop. Rooms were clean and large. I would go back any time. It had a nice pool as well. Bathrooms were large and rooms had a futon

• Stayed May 2013
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If DC is on your mind, give this a miss. It is approx 25 miles from DC and travel time is 1 hour ( in the Cherry Blossom weekend it took us more than an hour). The hotel is overall good..standard good rooms, spacious, clean and has complimentary Wi-Fi, microwave and refrigerator. The breakfast, though not a lavish spread, is good enough to start the day with. The front-desk guyz are definitely not the friendliest on Earth..was made to wait at the counter for 15 minutes as the receptionist was busy fidgeting with her mobile phone. Also, we booked way in advance for 2 rooms side by side but that was not paid attention to. They argued that since we booked through hotels.com ( and not directly through them), they were not aware of the request. Overall, it was a OK experience but would not go back for my next Cherry Blossom trip.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at SpringHill Suites when visiting friends in Centreville VA. Upon our check-in the staff at the front desk could not have been nicer. We had a king suite which was a good size, very clean & comfortable room. We didn't spend anytime at the hotel, only used the room for a good comfortable nights sleep. They had a very nice free breakfast, but we ate at our friend's home for breakfast.

The only complaint was the parking of coach busses and a tractor trailer in the front front parking lot. This should not have been allowed by the staff. These very large vehicles should not have taken up many spaces in the front lots, but should have been made to park in the back parking lots. I do not require handicapped parking, but I saw many handicap spaces taken by cars without handicap plates/permits. I believe this was because the coach busses were parked in the front lot, so people chose to use handicap spaces rather than parking far away in the back parking lot. This was a failure on the part of the hotel management.

Overall the SpringHill Suites was a great value for the money. We will stay again on our next visit to the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Centreville Chantilly? Share your experiences!