“Ok hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Centreville
Alexandria, Virginia, United States
“Ok hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Nice rooms.Kinda small for a family.Sometimes our playstation would work with the hdmi cable.
Overall nice hotel for the price we paid for the weekend.($56/night)
Liked the hot tub,pool and fitness room.

Room Tip: Well the rooms are relative small for a family of 4.Ok for 2 people.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I recently booked a few nights at this hotel to set up hospice care for my mom who lives in the area. My plane got into DCA a bit before midnight and the plan was to stay in the city that evening before I went out to Centreville (about a 40 min drive) the next day. Upon arrival, I had a message that I needed to go see my mom that evening because of an accident. I called the hotel and attempted to arrange an additional night while picking up my car and trying to coordinate with relatives.

The Marriott rep wanted to charge me double the price booked for the evening (it was after midnight by this time), but said the room was available and that I would need to call the hotel to get my original rate. I did, explaining that I was there early due to an emergency with my mom. I spoke to an individual with a heavy accent who did not give his name. He flat out refused to negotiate on the rate and cut me off several times while I was talking. When I said that I knew the room was vacant, and asked if he would rent it at the rate I was paying for the rest of my stay (or at least closer to it) he got very huffy and said "who told you it was vacant? you aren't supposed to know that!" I asked to speak to a manager and he said he was the manager (don't know if this was true). Long story short, I took my business to another hotel after an exhausting day, hours in a hospital and fatigue from being awake for 24 hours.

The next day I came to check in around noon. As a Marriott rewards member, I am "assured" of early check in. I waited for a half hour for my room to be ready (and I know it was vacant the night before) literally starting to doze off in the lobby from my exhaustion. The room was finally open and it was okay-- pretty much what you would expect from a hotel this class and size out in the 'burbs. No sign of the rude "manager" while I was there. Breakfast was simply meh with some gross sausages that were overcooked and very odd rubbery eggs. The make your own waffle thing is always a hit.

I filed a complaint with Marriott and have not yet heard back. I will take my business elswhere in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Annapolis, MD, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel at least six times while visiting family in the ara, and we will be back! The price is low, and fussy me has never had a problem with a dirty room. The bed is comfortable. The breakfast offers many options, including healthy ones. Yogurt, eggs, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, breads, pastries, sausage or ham or bacon, fruit cups, etc. Once they were out of pancake batter, but that is about the extent of my disappointments! Each room has a kitchenette with sink, coffeemaker, microwave and small fridge. There is a desk area with swivel chair, computer hardwire hookups and wifi. There is a separate sitting area with couch (some have pull-out beds) and a comfy upholstered chair . The TV can be swivel-turned toward bed or to sitting area to reduce disturbance to someone sleeping in the bed. Another sink with large mirror is located outside the bathroom. Hair dryer, iron and ironing board, shampoo all provided. We always enjoy our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Layton, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

*Stayed August 8, 2012*
This property was fine for a one night stopover, however, it is well below what I've come to expect from Marriott properties and I would not choose to stay here if I were in the area again.
The front desk staff was nice and the bed was comfortable, but that is where my satisfaction ended.
There is a table just as you exit the elevator on the third floor. There were two glasses on that table when we checked in and they were still there the next morning when we checked out. The room we occupied was very small. When the sofa bed was pulled out, there was barely enough room between it and the TV stand to squeeze by. There is a divider in the room which makes it impossible to lay on the bed and watch TV. The bathroom is very small and the vanity area (located outside the bathroom) would be impossible for two people to use at the same time. There was paint peeling over the air conditioner, near the door and by the fridge/microwave area. There was dried food stuck to the wall behind the kitchenette sink.
The pool area was not well maintained at all. In Virginia there is a law that every public pool must have a lifeguard. As others have noted, the pool hours are very limited at this property (I believe it's 5:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.), which I assume is because they don't want to pay a lifeguard for the whole day. Knowing that there is someone being paid to sit in the pool area for five hours a day makes what we encountered totally unacceptable. In the first place, the lifeguard sat and played on her phone the entire time we were in the pool and didn't look up at us once. There was a used band aid stuck to the side of the pool. There were missing, cracked and loose tile all over the floor. Besides being unsightly, it's a potential hazard. The clock was not working and the pool was well below a comfortable temperature.
Breakfast also bordered on unacceptable. The eggs were overcooked and rubbery. The sausage was dry and also overcooked. Everything tasted like it had been microwaved. The breakfast area was also not very clean, with crumb buildup in every corner of the counter top. It looked like it hadn't been wiped down properly in weeks.
I was very glad that this was only a one night stay, because I think had I made a reservation for more than that, I'd have cancelled the other nights. There was just too many things that were wrong.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I checked in on Sunday Dec 23, 2012 the front desk clerk was very courtious and friendly. I was checked in quickly and without any problems.
My wife was traveling with me and we had a 2 bed suite. Upon arrival at the room, we found it to be completely ready for occupancy and clean.
There was a refrigerator and microwave which are always handy. The coffee pot was a 4 cup pot and not the 1 cup pots which are, unfortunately, becoming the standard these days.Unfortunately the coffee wasn't very good, but since I always take my own it didn't effect me to any extent.
Internet access was quick and easy and free which is always nice.
The TV was of nice size but since I never turned it on I can't evaluate the selection of channels which were made available.
The bed was quiet comfortable and I slept very well throughout the night.That can't be said for all hotels.
There was one major disadvantage. The entrance into the area containing the lavatory and bathroom was at the foot of the beds. There was no door which could close it from the sleeping area. Thus when an occupant of the room gets up in the AM and turns on the light over the lavatory the other occupant of the room might be disturbed by the light or the noise of running water.
The breakfast each morning consisted of scrambled eggs (slightly overdone), Canadian bacon, and sausage patty. There was also various cereals, bagels, English muffin, sweet muffins, yogurt, and waffles.
Overall, it was a good room (we stayed for 3 nights) and an excellent value.
I would certainly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a place to stay while in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shelby, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was very disappointed with my stay. My room was very cramped. I had to walk side ways to get to my closet. The room was so tight they put the dresser/tv in the walkway between the sleeping area and living area, which in turn made it difficult to maneuver between the rooms. The bed was so close to the cooling unit that it made it hard to cool the room because the person sleeping near the unit froze to death. Not what you would expect when you think of saying in a suite. The walls were so thin I could hear my neighbor sneeze. The breakfast area was too small to accommodate the number of guest checked-in that weekend. I always had to eat in my room. There was never any food hot food left. The hotel was in a good area, but hard to get find/get to especially at night. The front desk never answered. One time I let the phone ring over 20 times and no one picked up. I had to use my cell and call the front desk that way. I guess potential guest get faster service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very good location.

Right by intersection of I-66 and rt 29.

Checked in late and left early, but staff was very accommodating with our short turn around.

Since I only stayed in the hotel for about 6 hrs, I couldn't check the amenities, but for sure the best part was that coffee was ready at 500am!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to SpringHill Suites Centreville Chantilly? Share your experiences!