“Mixed Experience” 2 of 5 stars

88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 250 helpful votes
“Mixed Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

As I write this I am still iffy on the day. I went for the first time because I had purchased a group on that included a 30 minute massage. I had called several days earlier to schedule the massage. The phone call conversation was odd, and I was transferred to four people before I was able to actually make the appointment. As a result of this, I had an inkling of how the day was going to be. I arrived at 8, and was greeted by a very nice man. He asked for my groupon and wanted to schedule my massage. I explained that I had called ahead. However, when he looked it up, it was not listed but I was not terribly shocked at this. He said that he was not able to give me the 10 time that I had called for, but they could do 10:30. That was fine and I went on my way.
I scheduled a scrub treatment and then disrobed. I have been to many five star spas before, so I was not impressed with the facilities. However, I knew that going in so it was not unexpected. I tried all of the pools and rooms that they had to offer. I have had many scrubs before, and this one was well worth the money. This was the highlight of the day. If you are going to Spaworld you have to do this. My skin feels super super soft. I can not get over it. After a bit I went to the massage area for my appt. I was told that I had not shown up for my massage at 10. I explained that originally I had called for 10, but there had been no record so I had been rescheduled for 10:30. The two women very rudely said, "Go downstairs". I was unsure if they were telling me to just get lost, or to go back to the front desk. I chose the later. I had a different man help me at the counter, and he called the women on the phone. From what I gathered the first man who had helped me, had not called the massage area to tell them that I had been scheduled. I was then rescheduled for an hour later.
This was the beginning of the end for my trip. I went back to the pool area, with my book to wait it out. In the short amount of time that I had been gone the amount of people had tripled. It was packed. After reading a chapter, I was told by a woman that I was not allowed to read rudely. I asked her why, but she did not answer. I put it down, but the bad taste had been placed in my mouth. Perhaps, it was because of this but I began to see a lot of negative things. I noticed a lot of unhygienic things. For instance, I saw a woman cough several times, and then spit into one of the pool areas. That was it for me, and I left this area. I finally made my way back up to the massage area, and I waited. When it was time for me to have my massage, they still did not have my appointment down. Somehow they were able to fix it. As I was being taken to the back, I heard another woman being told that they had no record of her appt either. The massage was good, it was for thirty minutes. The woman did a very good job. Overall the treatments that I had were good. The scrub was amazing. However, the service, facilities, and the overall experience left a lot for me. I am glad that I went, but I do not think it is worth a second visit for me.,

Visited February 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
146 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 344 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The prices have gone up substantially in the past year and a half, and it's no longer a 24 hour pass but only a 12 hour pass. That is something to note. You basically have to look out for the groupons to get a better deal. Anyway, I comment this place for the clean way in which they keep the spa. The cleaning ladies are constantly on the lookout for stray towels, and there are always fresh towels in the cupboards. The bathing portion of the spa is kept spotless, and I don't remember smelling or seeing anything unsanitary. Note: you are required to be naked in that area. The common room features a number of dry saunas and a freezer to cool off. The clay balls room does have a feet smell to it, but that is to be expected since people immerse themselves in the balls and sweat it out. The cafe has decent choices of Korean dishes. Be careful, though, you'll be surprised how much it all starts to add up when you spend hours there. I would say plan for at least $60 if not more per person per trip.

Visited May 2013
Dakar, Senegal
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Nice slice of peace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Everyone has pretty much covered this place- if you can score a Groupon, you'll save some dough. This place is great- I highly recommend the body scrub- but the 60 and 90 minute packages get a little long (and a bit uncomfortable) in the common area table treatment area. On the weekends it is good to come early- they start doing scrubs at 9AM. I always leave this place glowing.

San Diego, California
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Need a place to lounge and pamper yourself?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Where do you go when there’s a Polar Vortex and you don’t want to be caught frozen outside? We headed to Spa World. My sister wanted to try it since she’s heard a lot about it so after the roads were cleared, we went to Spa World for some R&R from the cold. It is a lot like what I expected, a traditional bath house as found in Japan and Korea where there’s a private section for males and females with a common area where the dry sauna, snack and restaurant are located. The dry sauna offers several types of rooms with salt, clay or regular dry heat. My favorite was the Jacuzzi area with the power jets where you can get great water massage from the overhead, side or floor jets. Aside from the pool and sauna sections, there are lounge areas where you can watch the sports, eat, read or give yourself a facial. The pool is the only area that does not allow clothes so if you are shy about walking around naked, you would want to avoid the pool. The masseuse are located in the pool area. I would recommend taking either a shower cap or cloth cap for your hair since the provided towels are small and hard to wrap around the head. Considering that the entry fee is $40, I would definitely plan to spend several hours there to take advantage of all of the amenities. It was a fun and relaxing afternoon that was definitely worthwhile especially in the winter.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Put this on your bucket list”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Located in a forgettable strip mall in the suburban sprawl of Northern Virginia, Spa World is a whole world unto itself. A traditional Korean spa open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it offers hot tubs of all kinds, saunas, scrubs, poultice rooms (more later), massage, facials and a great Korean restaurant.
You pay an entry fee of $40, which entitles you to spend twelve hours in the public parts of the place. Massages,scrubs, and facials are extra. The " wet rooms" are single-sex and
nudity is mandatory- there is a sign that tells you so in no uncertain terms. You will lose your self-consciousness in a couple of minutes among the women of all varieties. ( there are a whole lot of signs in Korean and English, part of the charm of the place.) I advise starting there, spending some relaxing time in the bade pool, a swimming pool-sized hot pool with jets all around the perimeter at different heights. You can kind of make your way around the pool treating each part of your body in turn. There is also a yummy sauna and two even hotter pools for completing the bliss-out. This area is also where you'll find the body scrubs. Sign up for one in the locker room where you strip down. When your turn comes, you'll be greeted by a middle-aged Korean lady in her underwear who will scrub your body down, and I mean EVERY part of your body, until it cries for mercy.
After you are done in the wet room, you put on the two-piece gym suit affair they give you and head out to the coed part. This is when I had my massage. I could write a whole poem about my massage. I chose a deep tissue oil massage. I have had lots of body work and this was at times the most intense massage I have ever had. During large portions of the 90 minutes, my therapist was holding on to bars fastened to the ceiling while working through my back with her feet. Truly extraordinary.
Just a word about the poultice rooms: there are 7 of them, each with an interior constructed of different materials said to provide a variety of therapeutic benefits, ranging from detoxification to anti- stress. All are heated from about 145 to 160 degrees, except for the ice room. You can figure that one out.You go in and lie down on a mat and as you heat up, your body absorbs the good stuff. It feels really good although I must remain agnostic about the other benefits.
Finally, don't miss the restaurant. The food is a real treat.
I strongly advise that you give yourself at least 4 hours so that you don't feel rushed and can let yourself relax and enjoy this amazing experience. As we left at 4:30, families of Koreans were just coming in to enjoy an evening together. Do this!!