“A different type of luxury experience” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 11 Attractions in Centreville
Austin, Texas
19 attraction reviews
“A different type of luxury experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Introduced to Spaworld during a trip to the Washington, DC area, it has become a must visit every trip. This is a Korean Bath House experience.
Enter Spaworld, check in and check your shoes. Men and women are separated, a spotless locker room awaits where all clothes are shed. The Bade pool has many stations where powerful water jets pummel and massage different areas of your body. Steam room, Saunasnd Jacuzzi are also available. For a supplemental charge treat yourself to a scrub and/or a massage. Finish in this area and enter the Poultice room. Men and women all dressed in a provided outfit, enjoy various Saunas, each with a different temperature and healing quality. There is a restaurant on the premises, a type of juice bar and tatamis and couches for relaxation. This is a do not miss if you are in the area.

Visited May 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
“Love it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I lived in Korea for two years and loved going to these places...although the cost there is around $4, rather than $40! I've convinced many friends to try out this place and everyone who goes does love it. I can only afford to go with a Groupon (employees told me yesterday that the next sale is Wednesday, April 24th!). So I always buy 3 or 4 when the Groupon comes out. I visit from Fredericksburg, which is at least a 3-hour round trip drive, so I always plan to spend a minimum of 6 hours and usually stay for 10 to get my moneys worth

I bring my own razor, shaving cream, face moisturizer, Neutrogenia face wash, face scrub, Asian towel luffa (if you don't own one, buy one at the Korean market next door, this will change your life!!!), dental floss, tooth brush, tooth paste, tweezers, massaging brush, and magnifying mirror. I use their shampoo, conditioner, bar of soap, body lotion, and combs.

I have gone to Spa World alone, which is nice, but I prefer to go with a female friend so we can chat and enjoy each others company. If I go with someone new, I explain that I like to go off on our own sometimes and then be together sometimes and I like to take naps on the plastic chairs in the pool room and I plan to stay around 6 hours... just so we both know what to expect. I don't spend much time in the sauna or communal area and I think the Korean food available at Spa World is overpriced and not good. There are so many area Korean restaurants that ARE very delicious, I try to avoid eating anything at Spa World and instead arrange my timing so I can try to eat at the Korean restaurant next to Trader Joe's down the street (yum!).

When I was here yesterday, everything was in good working order and I had a fantastic time. The previous time I was there, there were many broken hand held shower pieces and the plastic pegs on the first step of the stairs going into the largest pool and there were a lot of moms who weren't supervising their children. Yesterday I saw a note posted that families who do not supervise their children will be asked to leave.

I have trouble relaxing. This is one of the only places where I can relax! I feel lovely when I leave. And I think it's a really, healthy, wonderful experience for women to see what real boxies look like. I wish they'd open on in Fredericksburg.

Visited April 2013
Chantilly
9 attraction reviews
“Spa World”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have be going to Spa World since it ipened in 2009. The annual membership is not a value add unless you go there more than two times a week. The best value is with the Groupon Coupons that include a foot massage. Intially when it opened, when you paid your fee you received a toothbrush and the razors were free. since then everything has gone to a pay as you go. The one area tht they need to take a long look at is the repairs when items break down. Since they bring everything in fromKorea it takes an extra long time to get the parts in and the repairs made. Overall the expperience is still a good one with a Groupon. Even with the reduction from 24 hours to 12 hours the fact you can stay for 10 hours is nice. My average stay is 4 hours. That is spending 10 to 15 minutes in each station in the Bae Pool and 2 to 3 sessions in the sauna.
The food is good and allows for a break betwen the Bae Pool and the Saunas.
I still recommend Spa World to folks and feel that the relaxation is worth the minor issues that are evident.

Visited March 2013
Seven Corners, Virginia
114 attraction reviews
“Great Korean Spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I've been going to this place for over 2 years now and can only say good things about it. As it was described by others the protocol there is quite unique. You come in pay your $40 (starting February 12th) admission that gives you 24 hours in the spa. They give you a canvas uniform and a little piece of paper with the locker number (men's start with 1, women's with 2) where you put your shoes and retrieve a locker key. After that you go to segregated areas where using the key from the shoes locker you open your clothes locker and undress. The custom dictates that in the segregated area everybody is naked, but I've seen people taking shower in their trunks. There's a relatively big wading pool with all sorts of jet streams to massage your body, various hot and cold pools, two steam rooms (wet & dry), shower stalls and body scrub area. Soap, towels, and even toothpaste are provided for you. You can easily spent 2, if not hours just in that area wading, steaming, and relaxing.
After you're done there, you put on your canvas uniform and head on to the common area where there are TVs, smoothie bar, korean food eatery, massage & beauty salons as well as a general relaxation area. There multiple poultice rooms: clay, amethyst, charcoal, clay balls, salt, and ice room. You lay on the floor and slowly sweat and afterwards you can quickly cool down in the ice room. Everything is done laying on the floor mats, not benches (except the ice room). There's Wi-Fi and korean food is delicious for the most part, I'm very partial to their soups.
My shortest visit to this spa was 4 hours with 6 being the average. So, don't plan to be done quickly with this place. When you come out of there you will feel very different, exhausted, relaxed, etc.

Visited February 2013
Arlington, Virginia
28 attraction reviews
“Go to Korea for the day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I loved this place! I have been to a number of similar places in Europe and Asia, and this one certainly measured up.

It seems like a lot of people are hesitant to go because of the no-clothes policy in the pool area. I will point out that if this is the case, there is still a lot you can do in the clothed area, which includes a number of dry saunas, a relaxing area, and the restaurant. As long as you enjoy saunas, I think it would definitely be worth it to go even if you just stay in the clothed area. You can always check out the pool when you get there if you feel comfortable with it.

When you arrive, you pay $35 (although I think it's going up to $40 next week) and you are given a spa outfit of a t-shirt and shorts, and a key to your locker that is also used to record anything additional that you buy, like drinks, food, massages etc. Then when you check out you pay for the additional items you bought. The admission fee lets you stay for up to 24 hours (they are open 24/7) so you can spend as much time as you want.

There are two main areas to the spa - the common area, in which genders are mixed and you have to wear the outfit you are given, and the gender-separated areas. The common, mixed area includes a number of "poultice rooms" - really dry saunas - that each have a theme such as salt, charcoal, or red clay. Each theme is supposed to have a certain healing power. The rooms do not have benches like a European sauna, but mats on the floor that you lie on. The common area also has a bunch of mats on the ground where people rest, hang out, read, etc. There are a few tv's, a refreshment stand, a fitness room (including "body shakers"!), and a restaurant that serves delicious Korean meals. The meals run about $9-12 and include a number of the traditional side items like kim chi.

The gender-separated areas include the very nice changing/locker rooms and the bade pool area. In these areas, no clothes are allowed. The spa does provide towels, but they are quite small (think hand towels) and don't provide too much coverage. I don't think you are allowed to use your own towel. I found that after a couple of minutes, you didn't even notice the nakedness at all and it just seemed normal. Anyway, the bade pool is great!! It is a warm-ish pool that has lots of different stations with water jets to massage various parts of your body. There is also a steam sauna, dry sauna, cold bath, and several hot tubs. These are all surrounded by shower stations. The spa provides pretty much everything you need - shampoo, conditioner, hair dryers, even brushes (a little gross if you ask me). You don't have to wear shoes (most people walked around barefoot) although I did see a few people in flip flops.

Overall, I thought it was a great place to spend a few hours and relax.

Visited February 2013