“tranquility revisted” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Casanova
Arlington, Virginia
“tranquility revisted”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently stayed one night on a weekday. This was my fourth visit, but first time under the new owner and management. Management was very nice and accommodating, as was the spa manager. I like some of the changes made, and not so much of other changes. The good: More opportunity to get a light meal via the spa pool bar - light fare during the week or time when the Manor Inn is not available. The meals I had were delicious and the pricing reasonable. The chilled white wine was fantastic! The bed was more comfortable, and bedding more plush. These must have been replaced since my last visit. During my prior last stay I remember the bed lopsided and worn out. Good move! I'm okay with the continental breakfast being available in the lobby, although I do miss the room service with the homemade granola and yogurt. I miss the steam room which is now replaced with a sauna. Some renovations are needed. I noticed small gashes in the wall within the room I stayed in; the door knob penetrated through the wall and there's a little hole bashed in the wall from it. I discovered an outlet not working in my room when I was trying to plug in my laptop. I told management about it and they plan to repair it. I found stink bugs camping out on the couch and coffee table in the main lobby, and a small bug in the room I stayed in. I'm sure it's a challenge to keep the bugs out considering the open access to outside, but it made me uncomfortable to sit on the lobby couch - not knowing what I might encounter or sit on. I found dirty towels under the bathroom sink. I know this is where they ask you to leave your dirty towels for housekeeping to pick up, but they must have forgotten to remove these from the prior guest during the night I stayed there. Upon check-out, the bill was initially incorrect and the food is not itemized. They corrected the bill but I would like to see the food itemized too. A big unwelcome change is the 14 day cancellation policy. That's a little much, especially for a week day. I certainly understand the need to have a few days in advance before cancelling, but 2 weeks??? This will certainly deter me from making advanced reservations at this Inn. Poplar Springs Inn is still a wonderfully unique and tranquil get away from DC. I hope the new management keeps attention to details to keep this treasure thriving for years to come.

Room Tip: ask for a room that has good natural lighting and a room not closest to the lobby. You can hear eve...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Had a wedding nearby and my husband and I stayed here for the 3rd or 4th time. It is not far from DC, but a world away. It is not a "fancy" resort with a big pool, gym, etc. It is more like an intimate inn. The service is top notch. The beds are large and comfy. The rooms are spacious and look out on a putting green (you have a private patio, which is very serene and quiet). There's a manor restaurant for brunch and dinner. The grounds are quiet and you can walk or bike the nearby country lanes.
Last time we stayed here our package included a delicious breakfast brought to our room. This time there was a continental breakfast offered in the lobby. They did not have decaf, so one of the staff made some and brought it to our room, "no problem."
We intended to have an active day, but instead ended up relaxing and reading the Sunday paper while eating our breakfast on our patio; sitting by the pool outside all day ( we ordered lunch and it was very good! It comes from the manor restaurant, and the man who took our order went and came back by golf cart), then having a couples massage in the spa. Aaaaah. And then it was only about an hour back to civilization at the end of the weekend. Would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: Have stayed here a few times and every room has been excellent - quiet and private.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Poplar Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2014
Everyone needs a getaway sometimes! Whenever you need a little break from DC, you're welcome at the inn. What's your favorite thing to do when you visit Casanova?

Until next time,
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated our 15th anniversary here. We had a little trepidation based on the reviews. So... We had a great night away from our little one. The location is near DC but feels like a world away. The staff is terrific - a good mix of experienced folks brought on to right the ship and high energy younger staff who are happy to be there. The grounds are lovely and the Mansion House was superb. Yes, it is expensive. More so then it should be. But, the location doesn't require a flight, so we were ok with it. our room was massive with a great gas fireplace and a large patio. My "ding" is the entire place could use a refresh. The spa didn't feel lux (especially given the prices), there was peeling wallpaper in our room and most of the decor was circa 1990. Easy to overlook given all of the positives!

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Poplar Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 13, 2014
We can't express how happy we are that you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us. Knowing that you were able to relax and enjoy some time together is fantastic. We'll definitely take your advice into consideration in the future. Further, we'd love to have you back soon!

Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2014

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday on Oct. 3, 2014, and our experience was 5 stars from beginning to end. When we pulled up we were greeted at the front desk by Polly and as soon as she heard my name she wished my boyfriend a happy birthday. We were immediately escorted to our room where there was wine and cheese waiting and we were able to enjoy some relaxation time before heading to dinner. Our wine and cheese tasted better outside on our own veranda where we could enjoy the view. Dinner was beyond amazing and our specially made German chocolate birthday was cupcake was devoured within minutes. We can't wait to return, but this time for a two-night visit so we can enjoy the spa.

The accomodations were great! The room was large, the bed comfortable, and the robes were a nice touch. Check-in and out was efficient and convenient. The food in the manor house was beyond delicious and the continental breakfast was more than I had expected.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Poplar Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2014
To know that you and your boyfriend, had a five-star experience on his birthday is so wonderful. It's fantastic that you were able to relax, enjoy dinner, and have a lovely time together. We absolutely can't wait to have you two back soon.

tifgmu2003
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice in a single month: once on a romantic getaway with my husband and then back again with my mom and sister for a girls getaway. Service and ambiance is incomparable and such an easy jaunt for us from Alexandria.

• Stayed September 2014
Charles H, Manager at Poplar Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
Paradise found? What an amazing thing to get to read! We're all so thrilled you have enjoyed staying with us so much. Knowing that you've brought such important people in your life to stay here is fantastic. We can't wait to have you back soon.

Take care,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2014 via mobile

I found Poplar Springs Inn on Amazon local deal. I'll be perfectly honest I don't believe in buying Groupon deals or things of this sort. But I was in desperate need of a getaway and saw this deal in my emails. I did my research, called Inn and asked if I bought the deal I could use it on the weekend we were available to go. The person who answered was very helpful and friendly and assured me we would not have a problem. So I purchased and booked.
We set out from Cherry Hill, NJ for our relaxing getaway. It was a 3 1/2 hour drive. I did my research and stopped first at Marterella winery. All I can say is BEAUTIFUL!! Then we headed over to Poplar Springs. We were checked in and greeted by Joe who is great!! He asked about our dinner plans and booked us quickly at the Manor house for dinner. My husband had worked in the fine dining industry for 15 years and gives it 10 stars. Who cares if service is a little slow between entrees we were there to relax. Lobster risotto to die for!!!
Next day we enjoyed the jacuzzi and I had an 80 minute massage which was fabulous! We also ventured out to antique shops nearby and Amish markets. We had an amazing time and are planing to visit again next August!! If you want to getaway from the everyday grind, I highly recommend Poplar springs!!

• Stayed August 2014
We're so thrilled to hear what an amazing time you had here! Knowing that our Inn and restaurant got such high approval from both you and your husband is simply fantastic. We truly cannot wait to have you both back next August!

All the best,
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay here this weekend. Started off with a wonderful couples massage, next hanging out at the pool with champagne and a delicious crab cake sandwich and finishing off the day with a marvelous dinner at the Manor House. Wonderful selection of entrees and wines. Service was the best we have ever had there. The room was spacious, clean and quiet. Can't wait to return.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Charles H, Manager at Poplar Springs Inn & Spa, responded to this review, September 23, 2014
It sounds like you definitely had an enjoyable weekend here! It's wonderful that you got to enjoy a massage, the pool, and a dinner at the Manor House. We're so happy to have had you, and we can't wait for you to stay again soon.

The Management Team at Poplar Springs

Been to Poplar Springs Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!