“The other reviewers have it right - Captain Yucks!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 restaurants in Carrollton
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Johnson City
“The other reviewers have it right - Captain Yucks!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wish we had read these reviews before we wasted our time driving out there. Guy Fieri and the Food Network folks must have been temporarily insane the day they recommended this place! We had high hopes and were so looking forward to our first taste of the fresh seafood the area is famous for and could not have been more disappointed nor had our wallet be more violated than it was here. Our waitress was nice. The menu had amusing little notes. We were most impressed by the prayer menu as we are Christians who pray before we eat and it was a nice reminder to be grateful without being offensive to those who are not Christian.
If you go anyway, despite all the warnings here to avoid it, be prepared to spend big and eat little and do not intend to tempt your palate in any way. Meals are $35-$40 per paper plate eaten with plastic forks and drinks are in Styrofoam cups. For that ridiculous price one mixed plate of scallops and shrimp held precisely 4 of each propped up on a big piece of bread to fool you into thinking you were actually getting something. Remove the bread and look at the few little bites you have left to eat! Tiny little Styrofoam cups for your lukewarm side dishes. The scallops were ok at best and the shrimp were small and poorly seasoned. The crab cake? More breading than crab and tasted frozen/reheated, not fresh. Not a good example for visitors to the region to taste what it has to offer. The best part of eating here was that you had cocktail sauce to cover the stuff with to get it down. Its an old two car garage building on the water but no great views to make it worth your while. Mr. Fieri...shame on you. And shame on me for being stupid enough to go there.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

68% Recommend
Roanoke, Virginia
“Food and service was great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Since we were going to the Williamsburg area for a long weekend, I decided to see if I could find a restaurant featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. This was it. After perusing their online menu, we decided to go for it.

Their website said they opened at 12:30 on Sundays and it is winter time. We arrived at 12:10 to an empty parking lot and thought no one was there. I decided to get out and examined their holiday hours which were clearly posted but they were for Christmas week, not the weekend before Christmas.

I then decided to see if there was anyone in the building. When I went to the front door, it was open and the server saw me and said she'd check if we could come in early (we had another commitment) and were worried we wouldn't make it. She came right back and said, sure come on in! I told I had to tell my husband who was waiting in the car. When I went outside, the manager drove up and said the door should be open and to come on in. We did. (This was GREAT customer service - allowing us to come in 15 minutes before they were scheduled to open!)

The atmosphere is definitely beachy with picnic tables and benches and white paper as the table cloth. And it was in the marina so a view of the water was right there which was an added bonus. Especially on a day when the winter weather was almost 80 degrees!!

My husband had the daily special - grilled rock fish and I had the crab au gratin. Both were very good. We finished it off with a piece of their homemade key lime pie. If you don't like fish, you should go for the key lime pie - it's one of the best I've ever had.

The manager, Mike, came over and spoke with us for a few minutes as did the host, Rick. We felt like family! When we first sat down, I wondered if we would be the only ones there - it being Christmas, but we weren't. We no sooner got our food when quite a few people came in to eat.

This place is off the beaten track so it's wise to get directions and/or use a GPS but well worth the effort to get there. We drove in from Williamsburg and we were glad we did!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Macon, North Carolina
“Interesting "local-character" flavor for waterside dining.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Recommended by a friend,who had seen it on TV,we decided to give it a try lor Sunday lunch. Takes some meandering,and a direction from a local resident to find it. Caribbean decor, plain tables and sit-on benches add to the "mystique". I had a cup of "unisex-crab" soup,and the shrimp basket,as did my wife. Very friendly host and server,food served promptly, and plenty of shrimp and fries for the price. It was a cold windy day,and we sat at the table next to the gas heater,but feet still got cold. I'm sure it would be more fun on a warm day to sit outside on the deck,and enjoy the water view and atmosphere, so maybe next year in Spring or Summer we give it another go. Too out of the way to be a regular dining spot. Especially when I can sit on the deck at the Smithfield Station restaurant,and get pretty much the same things and like water view for a similar price,and avoid the 20-30 minute drive.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Fun drive. Food was worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

About 45 minutes from Chesapeake. Tiny place interesting decor Caribbean feel. She crab soup was good, voice servers and Caesar salad was very good, crab cake sandwich boats were both of our with equal satisfaction. Staff is attentive. Good experience would recommend to anyone on.

Midlothian, Virginia
“great stop in cool weather, too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had been several times by boat, but last night went by car. We sat inside, due to the cool, breezy weather. Everyone was friendly and efficient, and the food was good. My husband had the crab cake sandwich, and I had the fried shrimp boat. We both enjoyed our meals. The Pina' Colada was good, too. We hiked up the hill to the gift shop, and saw a lot of cute things, but they were pricey. My husband wanted to buy the antique fishing rods, but they weren't for sale !!!

• Visited September 2013