“Enjoyed two meals here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Cape Charles
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Caribbean, Seafood, Korean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Shanty is the Eastern Shores premier destination for waterfront dining. Offering the freshest local seafood and produce on a daily basis, Spring, Summer and Fall. Take in a beautiful sunset over the Chesapeake Bay while enjoying delicious homemade crab cakes, Caribbean style tacos, or the daily fresh catch special with an ice cold draft. Full bar, live entertainment, harbor front outdoor seating, available dock space and creative daily specials made for and by people who are truly passionate about food and excellent service.
Hummelstown
“Enjoyed two meals here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We ate here twice, the first time being better than the second. We had a very difficult time finding restaurants in the area that fit what we wanted on vacation...good food, good service and pleasant environment.
On our first visit there was a long wait but that was ok because they have a nice outdoor patio. The night we were there, they even had a man playing steel drums! They also have bar service which was a nice touch. It made the wait enjoyable.
The outdoor tables are picnic tables, which are not comfortable, but the view and breeze are nice, so what does it matter? We're on vacation anyway! We enjoyed the food and the service was good.
Since our first visit was so good and we hadn't had much luck with other local restaurants, we came here a second time during our vacation. This time we were seated immediately but not without a weird exchange with the hostess that kind of set the whole visit on a weird "vibe". She asked if we would like to sit inside or outside, but she would rather if we didn't sit outside. What? I asked her if outdoor seating was available and she said it was. I looked at my husband (who didn't hear any of the prior exchange) and he said he would like to eat outside. I wondered if maybe they were a waitress down and they were trying to close off an area...but why would you close off outdoor seating on a beautiful sunny day? I almost expected us to be the only table with people. No. At least half of the tables were seated!
Our waitress was prompt and pleasant, but even with her we had an odd exchange. I had gotten the cape combo on our first visit and liked everything except the oysters. I've never had oysters before and I don't plan on having them again. I asked the waitress if they could sub something out for the oysters and she acted as though she had never been asked that before. Then I realized she must have because she said that "they really don't like us to do that." I just waited a few seconds and she asked if I would like her to check. Yes, I would. She came back and said that they told her they would only sub out clam strips "but they really don't like to do that". Clam strips were fine with me. The waitress was very nice about it...her attitude was like someone who had asked before and gotten yelled at before. It makes me wonder about management, especially given some of the comments on this board.
Food was good, service was good...just a very strange atmosphere around the staff on this second visit.
If you are in the area, I would recommend the restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Very good casual dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The food was excellent. Crab cakes were delicious and the wahoo fish of the day was cooked perfectly.
Our server was excellent and the food was delivered promptly.
Prices were somewhat high but it is a touristy area.
The only negative was we were seated outside and it was quite hot. Would have enjoyed inside better.
We will come back to The Shanty

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yorktown, Virginia
“Seafood with a view of bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The food was great in this restaurant on the bay. It was busy and a little noisy. Chairs, tables, were cleverly constructed of pipes, wood, corrugated roofing material. Picnic style tables and high tables with high chairs....not the most comfortable for seniors but worth it for the good food. Outside eating area would be nice for milder days.

Visited July 2014
Indianapolis
“Serious issues with management”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

To be fair, I can't comment on the food. I called to make reservations at 1:00 on a Monday. The woman who answered laughed and said "honestly you won't need reservations on a Monday night." So, we show up at 7:00 pm with our party, which included three boys under six, and are told we would have at least an hour wait. We told them about calling earlier in the day and they did not care. Mgmt made no accommodations, no offers to help, nothing. We won't make a return trip.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“A must on the water.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Came here last year with a large group. This time a more intimate dinner. The name says a lot. It is a shanty - however with the professional attitudes, great service and good food you think you're at a five star restaurant. Thanks again for a delightful evening.