“great family trips” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cherrystone Family Camping Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Charles
Cherrystone Family Camping Resort
You added Cherrystone Family Camping Resort to your Saves list
1511 Townfield Dr, Cape Charles, VA   |
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“great family trips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We bought a pop up camper this summer and spent a week at cherry stone for July 4 as well as labor day weekend. It is great! The kids love the pools, parks and putt putt while the wife and I enjoy the fishing and the views. You won't find a better place the whole family can enjoy. Both times the staff has been beyond friendly, the park clean ( at least as clean as you will get at a campground) and the planned activities are a great alternative when the kids have had enough sun for awhile. The only negative/suggestion is to not get a site right next to the large park. We thought that would be great for the kids ( ours are young) but the teenagers get a bit loud and obnoxious there after dark. On the plus side the staff usually kicks them out around 11 so it quiets down after that. We will be back again soon before the season ends!

• Stayed August 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bridgeton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Cherrystone is great. My family and I have been going for the past 4 years. We usually stay for 10 days at a time. The staff is friendly, the sites are large and clean, and the extra curriculars are great. From fishing and crabbing to relaxing in the pool, to the activities planned, it is what you make of it. My family loves being at the pool and taking in the activities. We always have a great time while we are there. Only a couple of things that bothered me this past trip were that the pools seemed to be a bit cloudy, which make us think that it should be cleaned more and the amount of golf carts that are there. Other than that, it was an awesome time

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reva, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed on a campsite for 5 days (August 23-28). It was wonderful. First- the campsite was huge. We had a front and back yard. And 2 staffers were so helpful in getting us situated on the campsite. We were put next to the pools, but not noisy at all. Loved watching the kids shoot water balloons at each other. And there were 4 nice size pools. And a splash place for the kids. Plus an adults only pool- so 5 pools all together. Our fellow campers around us were great. Our neighbors across the way even shared crabs and seafood with us. The full-timers have beautiful campsites. You can tell they take pride there. Every staff member we encountered was nice and very helpful. I never saw trash laying around the campgrounds either. And not overly expensive. The little town of Cape Charles was cute. And the Kiptopeke State park is worth visiting. Also loved the Wildlife Refuge. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had to change my vacation plans from Myrtle Beach to something closer to home due to family work schedules.

The cost was more than where we stay in S C. but they had openings. We don't have a camper so I rented a cabin. We pull in and the first thing you want to do is get unpacked. I should have noticed that the fire ring was lifted because the first thing my 5 year old grandson did with his slip on sandals was walk through the ashes which were still hot. Luckily he was not hurt badly. A lot of trash left on the lot from previous campers. The delux cottage cabin was incredibly small with the bunk sleeping quarters in the living room. The stove was dirty when we arrived and the overhead microwave dripped water out the front door into my pan on the stove top. Someone also forgot to tell me that the plastic bowl in the back of the frig was catching water from the freezer and that needed to be emptied before it overflowed. I didn't know that until it was too late.

I'm use to renting cabins but they usually provide basic dishes and flatwear, not here so we brought two cars so we could carry everything we needed and wound up improvising quite a not for the things we just didn't think of. Of course you are charged for that extra car everyday its on the property.

Activities were pretty good. I thought they were slightly overstaffed with people just sitting around when they could have been picking up trash or sweeping rocks off the put put greens. There was a lot of trash. Another couple I met said they kept things much nicer when you had to pay for them so I don't know.

I would go back just not for a whole week. I felt like a paid top dollar for mediocre.

• Stayed August 2013
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at Cherrystone 20-27 July. Our family has been going for 7 years now. We have seen some ups and downs but the grounds are on the upswing. The shower/bathrooms are not spotless but given the fact there are hundreds of people using the areas it is as good or better than many, many public facilities. In the past couple years at the mini golf for example it was hard to find a staffer. This year the staffer was there and actively engaged in working. Repairs were in progress on the golf area.
Signs were present and clearly marked. Improvements are evident. All pools were open. There was an interruption in drinking water and the kiddie water went down as well. However we were informed by staff of the problem and a contractor was on site working on it. We have never had a problem with fellow campers . The fact of the matter is we've met some pretty interesting and pleasant people. There is always the proverbial jerk but that is everywhere. All in all not that we have grandchildren they'll be back with us. lt is what you make it.

Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on our way to OBX. Clean campground. Easy access to waterfront\piers for crabbing/fishing. Pools are great for families with little kids. Not crowded bathrooms are across a gravel parking lot outside of pool area which was a little inconvenient but not unbearable. Campsites are a little cramped feeling, lots of noise and smoke from close neighbors campfires, but again, not unbearable. The lady at the bike rental area was a rude but she was the only staff member that made me grimace. Overall, good place to stopover for a night or two. Not enough to do in local area or in campground to make it worth a longer stay than that.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family stayed at Cherrystone last week (July 21-28). I don't know how there are bad reviews on here - it was a wonderful place to stay. We rented one of their "rustic" cabins and therefore utilized the bath houses. They were clean and stocked, but they are public restrooms - there's no way to keep them spotless all day. The showers worked fine and they were mostly clean - I don't know what people expect...it's a campground, not a five star hotel. My husband used to vacation here when he was a kid, but it was my first time there. It was very, very hot the first part of the week. The pools were great for cooling off. With four pools of varying sizes and the kids splash areas, there was room for everyone. They have many other fun things for the kids - mini golf, paddle boats, daily crafts - all FREE. They even had a live band on Saturday night! The piers were perfect for fishing and crabbing. My kids caught so many crabs that they think they are now experts. My husband caught sting rays, skates and sharks from the piers. The view is amazing too! If you need a break from cooking on the fire/grill, their on-site restaurant is right there. The prices are very reasonable and they even offer deliverly to your camp site. The one thing I would recommend is to bring your bikes. We rode everywhere around the campground. We can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cherrystone Family Camping Resort? Share your experiences!