“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cherrystone Family Camping Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cape Charles
Cherrystone Family Camping Resort
1511 Townfield Dr, Cape Charles, VA   |
Reva, Virginia, United States
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed on a campsite for 5 days (August 23-28). It was wonderful. First- the campsite was huge. We had a front and back yard. And 2 staffers were so helpful in getting us situated on the campsite. We were put next to the pools, but not noisy at all. Loved watching the kids shoot water balloons at each other. And there were 4 nice size pools. And a splash place for the kids. Plus an adults only pool- so 5 pools all together. Our fellow campers around us were great. Our neighbors across the way even shared crabs and seafood with us. The full-timers have beautiful campsites. You can tell they take pride there. Every staff member we encountered was nice and very helpful. I never saw trash laying around the campgrounds either. And not overly expensive. The little town of Cape Charles was cute. And the Kiptopeke State park is worth visiting. Also loved the Wildlife Refuge. Can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Had to change my vacation plans from Myrtle Beach to something closer to home due to family work schedules.

The cost was more than where we stay in S C. but they had openings. We don't have a camper so I rented a cabin. We pull in and the first thing you want to do is get unpacked. I should have noticed that the fire ring was lifted because the first thing my 5 year old grandson did with his slip on sandals was walk through the ashes which were still hot. Luckily he was not hurt badly. A lot of trash left on the lot from previous campers. The delux cottage cabin was incredibly small with the bunk sleeping quarters in the living room. The stove was dirty when we arrived and the overhead microwave dripped water out the front door into my pan on the stove top. Someone also forgot to tell me that the plastic bowl in the back of the frig was catching water from the freezer and that needed to be emptied before it overflowed. I didn't know that until it was too late.

I'm use to renting cabins but they usually provide basic dishes and flatwear, not here so we brought two cars so we could carry everything we needed and wound up improvising quite a not for the things we just didn't think of. Of course you are charged for that extra car everyday its on the property.

Activities were pretty good. I thought they were slightly overstaffed with people just sitting around when they could have been picking up trash or sweeping rocks off the put put greens. There was a lot of trash. Another couple I met said they kept things much nicer when you had to pay for them so I don't know.

I would go back just not for a whole week. I felt like a paid top dollar for mediocre.

• Stayed August 2013
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed at Cherrystone 20-27 July. Our family has been going for 7 years now. We have seen some ups and downs but the grounds are on the upswing. The shower/bathrooms are not spotless but given the fact there are hundreds of people using the areas it is as good or better than many, many public facilities. In the past couple years at the mini golf for example it was hard to find a staffer. This year the staffer was there and actively engaged in working. Repairs were in progress on the golf area.
Signs were present and clearly marked. Improvements are evident. All pools were open. There was an interruption in drinking water and the kiddie water went down as well. However we were informed by staff of the problem and a contractor was on site working on it. We have never had a problem with fellow campers . The fact of the matter is we've met some pretty interesting and pleasant people. There is always the proverbial jerk but that is everywhere. All in all not that we have grandchildren they'll be back with us. lt is what you make it.

Levittown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stopped here for two nights on our way to OBX. Clean campground. Easy access to waterfront\piers for crabbing/fishing. Pools are great for families with little kids. Not crowded bathrooms are across a gravel parking lot outside of pool area which was a little inconvenient but not unbearable. Campsites are a little cramped feeling, lots of noise and smoke from close neighbors campfires, but again, not unbearable. The lady at the bike rental area was a rude but she was the only staff member that made me grimace. Overall, good place to stopover for a night or two. Not enough to do in local area or in campground to make it worth a longer stay than that.

Canal Fulton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family stayed at Cherrystone last week (July 21-28). I don't know how there are bad reviews on here - it was a wonderful place to stay. We rented one of their "rustic" cabins and therefore utilized the bath houses. They were clean and stocked, but they are public restrooms - there's no way to keep them spotless all day. The showers worked fine and they were mostly clean - I don't know what people expect...it's a campground, not a five star hotel. My husband used to vacation here when he was a kid, but it was my first time there. It was very, very hot the first part of the week. The pools were great for cooling off. With four pools of varying sizes and the kids splash areas, there was room for everyone. They have many other fun things for the kids - mini golf, paddle boats, daily crafts - all FREE. They even had a live band on Saturday night! The piers were perfect for fishing and crabbing. My kids caught so many crabs that they think they are now experts. My husband caught sting rays, skates and sharks from the piers. The view is amazing too! If you need a break from cooking on the fire/grill, their on-site restaurant is right there. The prices are very reasonable and they even offer deliverly to your camp site. The one thing I would recommend is to bring your bikes. We rode everywhere around the campground. We can't wait to go back next year.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I requested to ride threw the campground to check it out and they wanted to charge me 20 dollars for 30 minutes to ride threw oh please really!! Won't be going there, if in the area go to kiptopeke state park a lot cheaper and nice has fishing and crabbin also.

Stayed July 2013
Bel Air, MD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We decided to do a family camping trip to Cherrystone this past week on the advice of friends. Before we left I checked out the reviews here on Tripadvisor, and after reading them, I should have trusted my gut. This place was horrible.

Originally we were going to tent for the week, but after I saw the pictures of the flooding, I forced my husband to change the reservation to a cabin. We arrived and checked into our "rustic cabin" to find the place stifling and dirty. The screens missing from the windows, and because we backed up to a drainage ditch, you couldn't just open them or you would have had a cabin full of mosquitos. There was something sticky all of the floor and the ceiling fan was barely working. I was afraid to leave it on because it looked like it might fall down at any moment. We called the office and sat on hold for 15 minutes waiting for someone to pick up. Finally JoJo answered (she was the only bright spot in the hole situation/week) and I decided to see if she could move us to a cabin with air conditioning as I was in no mood by that time to deal getting stuck in another cabin that backed up to the cesspool . JoJo was able to get us moved thankfully, which was a definite improvement, and we went about our evening of getting settled.

The next morning we all headed to the pool, looking forward to the lazy "river". It should be called the lazy donut...nothing more than a small circle that didn't have enough circulation to move a fly. The "splash pad" area of the pool looked to have mold growing on the floor and I refused to let my daughter play there. They do not have bathrooms right at the pool, so you have to leave the area to use the facilities, which judging by the water, people were not. By the our 3rd visit there, the water was cloudy and dirty and at one point there were hunks of hair floating. Needless to say, we gave up.

The bathhouses are filthy!!!! I don't care that they close them for an hour and a half for cleaning, there is not enough time in the world. They need to take a match to it and start over. Mold growing on the walls, no water pressure, shower heads that are falling off, shower curtains ripped and falling off. Thank God my father in law had a trailer and we could shower there or we would have been out of luck.

At one point the entire park lost water, and NO ONE had a clue as to when it would be fixed. One person would tell you 30 minutes, another would tell you they had no idea. Once they did manage to get it fixed hours later, there was a warning that the water needed to be boiled due to a bacteria that was in it. I only found this out by overhearing a conversation. We never received notice from the park!!!! Thankfully no one got ill from this.

I can also say without question that staying in a cabin was a good call. It rained two of the nights we were there and the place flooded. There was 3 or 4 inches of water covering my in laws site as well as many others.

Long story short, we will never, ever be back again. There were 6 other families with us, and they are in agreement too, NOT going back!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Cherrystone Family Camping Resort? Share your experiences!