“Gem in the Rough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Inn

You added Sunset Beach Inn to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32246 Lankford Highway, Cape Charles, VA 23310 (Formerly Sunset Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cape Charles
“Gem in the Rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I rated excellent because I wasn't expecting to be pleasantly surprised but I was. Our room was very clean with all the necessary amenities and the bed was comfortable as well as the pillows. The grounds are wonderful. Very much enjoyed the sunset on the private beach and sitting out at night watching the stars. My husband and I brought our old lab over for the weekend to enjoy the nearby fisher mans beach.. We used to take her there when she was young. It was such a fun get away. It's a beautiful "average" motel that provides everything for an excellent "overall" take a way. I would recommend.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, General Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Sunset Beach Inn. We appreciate you noting the cleanliness of our rooms as that is very important to us. Glad too that you enjoyed our private beach where the sunsets are always magical. Because of our location, surrounded by protected wilderness, we have clear unobstructed nighttime viewing of the stars.

We have been polishing our “Gem” over the winter and plan to continue making improvements as we can. Thanks for staying at our “Gem” on the Chesapeake Bay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

The beds are new and the linens are clean. It has hot and cold running water. The plumbing functions, but most of the shower water runs straight down the drain from the bath tap. It's really, really close to great birding locations. If that meets your needs, then this place is a bargain. However, if you want fresh, clean walls (rather than faded and pealing wallpaper), clean floors (rather than ratty old carpeting), furniture that looks relatively new (without peeling laminate), doors that open and close without a fuss, and adequate lighting, you will not be happy here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Harmony_Management, General Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the new bedding and other amenites we offer. Since acquiring the Inn we have made substantial improments including new carpeting, furniture and wall coverings. We are sorry that your room was not yet competely renovated. We will be making more improvements over the winter months and hope you will come back again to visit!
Delanco, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

A little background - we drive between NJ and SC fairly often to visit our daughter at school near Hilton Head. We used to take 95, but as that road's rush hour now seems to last from 4am until 10pm we've been taking 13 more and more. I know the speed limit is a little lower, and you have some local traffic in areas, but we generally make the same or better time on 13 because we keep moving...averaging 60mph with no traffic jams is much better than doing 80mph for a bit and then stopping in a traffic jam for an hour. And it really is such a pretty drive, with the bridge/tunnel still a thrill for the kids. Anyway, we've passed this property many times without stopping. On this particular trip we left relatively late in the day and we knew we'd want to stop 4-5 hours in. At first we looked in to the Virginia Beach area, but Sunset Beach resort is just so much easier to get to - it's right on the road, no searching for it. I read the reviews here and for the most part, people seem satisfied: nothing fancy, but clean, with friendly service, a quiet location and a restaurant on site. We called the property directly to make our reservation after searching online for the lowest listed prices. *Always do that! You'll get the best possible rate because they have to pay the listing service and they'll make more this way.

We got in just as the sun was going down, and since 1) we were hungry, 2) we wanted to see the sunset on the water, and 3) the front desk told us the Grille "may close at 9, depending on how busy it was" we headed to the restaurant before going to our room. The Grille on the beach was great. I don't know if I'd have a different opinion if there wasn't an absolutely amazing sunset next to our table, or if the weather hadn't been so nice, but as it was we were thrilled. The service was friendly, the food was decent and the beer was cold (if not overpriced - $5 each for a Yuengling? come on). I highly recommend you go on a gorgeous night and have a beer at sunset before doing anything else. We were so happy with the place at this point were were going to book a night or two on our return trip. We walked on the property's beach for a few minutes after dinner and went to our room in a great mood.

So the room - it was pretty much what we expected after reading the reviews, maybe a peg or two below our expectations. Clean, but very dated with the troubles you usually see at tired beach resorts. Bedding was updated with a more modern look, nice touch. But otherwise...our bathroom door wouldn't close without slamming (sorry, neighbors), paint chipping everywhere. I see the management talking in detail about the new chairs being placed in guestrooms - we didn't have one, just a hard back waiting room type chair. Two double beds. It's been a long time since I've seen an actual double bed - if I'd have known I don't know if we'd have stayed. Two not-small adults and a teenage boy...it was very uncomfortable for us. But we made it work. I'm a smoker, and it would have been nice if there were some benched or patio chairs outside to sit on - or even a picnic table or two on the huge lawn between the hotel and the beach.

The hotel offers continental breakfast. I can't review it because I didn't eat it: My husband and son headed over and I followed a few minutes later. When I got there my son was battling with the toaster to L'eggo his Eggo. I took over for him and I'm sorry to say the toaster won. I spent ten minutes with a plastic knife digging the pieces of waffle out. The lounge did not have air conditioning, but there were a few fans moving the air (and the many flies) around. By the time I was done I was so hot and annoyed I just left.

So anyway, as low as our expectations were, they weren't quite met. Needless to say we didn't stop on our return trip. I don't know if we'd stay again. It wasn't horrible, but there are just too many other choices, even at that price point, right over in VA beach. It's just such a SHAME. It's such an amazingly convenient location if you're taking that route, and the property is so well situated. I guess they just don't have the traffic to get the business and income for the improvements that would make it .... I don't know, not looking for great, but at least more tolerable. With so many roach motels along the interstate in southern VA/ northern NC, obviously plenty of people are stopping overnight. Maybe as more people start eschewing 95 they'll start going this way and pump some money in to the area.

Room Tip: Get a room on an upper floor. We were on the ground floor, and as in almost any property south of t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We are happy that you thought the Sunset Grille on the beach was great! We think it's pretty great too. Sorry that your room didn't have any of the new chairs. As you noted, we are continuing to upgrade the property as we can.
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed in room 133 it was a little dark and dated but figured we would make the best of it. The grille and beach were great the hotel not so great. The first night we did not have any issues. The second night there were noises coming from the old chiller vent and ducts that sounded like rodents. This noise went on all night. The next morning I let the lady at the front desk know. She stated that she would send maintenance to check it out. They came quickly but not sure if they found anything. they needed to check the room above us. No offer to move rooms or sorry or anything. We spent the day at the beach, which like I said was great. When we got back to the room the noises were coming from the ceiling chiller again. Needless to say my wife was not going to stay another night with some type of varmint in the ceiling making noises all night. So, we called the front desk and let them know that the noises were still coming from the ceiling so we were checking out. person at the front desk just stated that they would have to send someone to check it out in the morning again. Again no I'm sorry, we will comp a night or anything. I understand that they are in the middle of the refuge, but critters keeping you up all night making noises is unacceptable. You can tell that the new owners are trying, however they still are coming up short. I would not recommend for anyone to stay here and would not be revisiting the Sunset Beach Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
We are very puzzled by your review. Not only did we apologize, we offered to move the room twice but explained that we did not have another suite available. Our maintenance staff went to the room with you and opened the vent where you thought the noise was coming from and showed you that nothing was there. No evidence of rodents or anything. As a test, the next night our General Manager slept in the room and did not hear anything.
Van,WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband, my kids, and I have stayed here every year for several years now and we love it! Yes, I agree the place can use some upgrades, but for the price it's wonderful! The grounds are beautiful and well maintained, and the private beach is so peaceful after days spent at the oceanfront. My only complaint is that we have many times tried to book a large suite and are told it is booked, only to get there and during our entire stay it is empty. We last stayed here in July 2012, (not listed on the options of when you last stayed) but intend to stay in August 2013. I personally feel some people are way too picky when they put down certain hotels. This is not the Hilton, and I am glad it's not. I prefer down home comfort to prestige.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review, and such a wonderful one at that! We are happy that you enjoy and appreciate the down home comfort that we offer. We do strive for friendliness and making our guests feel comfortable!

We continue to make upgrades to the property and have just received a shipment of new room chairs that are being placed in the rooms as I write this. So far as the unavailability of the booking of a large suite: It is hard to say without knowing the details. It is possible that the suite was not available for the entire length of your stay. If you are having a problem booking a preferred room online please don't hesitate to telephone us or stop by the front desk to inquire. We look forward to your next visit and thank you again!
Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I was very pleased with our visit .The staff was very friendly and helpful.Even though it is an older property, the owners are taking good care of the premises. Outside of the Inn was well taking care of .The lawn was well manicured. The road leading to the beach had beautiful trees on both sides. Once you reached the end of the road there was a deck with entertainment and the beach. The rooms was very clean ! The only problem that we had was flies in the room...Guess you can't fight nature, but the staff will provide you with bug spray. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities at Sunset Beach including our private beach and bayside restaurant, the Sunset Grille. Thanks too for the compliments on the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. One of the issues with being in the middle of 1800 acres of Wildlife Refuge is that we do have wildlife! Thanks again for your review.
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clearly this is an older property, and it does seem like management is trying, but I don't think I would stay here again. The room was spotless - thanks to the housekeeping staff - but they start cleaning early in the morning, and if your room is near where they work, you can hear them very clearly. I was not given the room I was promised when I booked the hotel, but it was okay. Don't expect to get any ice in the mornings, there was never any - I think the fishermen who stay at the hotel a lot get it very early. The continental breakfast is pretty dreary, but at least it's something. The room shows it's age, but again, it was clean. Until they can fix some things, including the leaking toilet, I will stay elsewhere next time. Also, if management reads this, you need a comfortable chair in the room, not just a hard side chair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sunset Beach. We have just obtained more comfortable chairs and are in the process of placing them into the rooms. Thanks for the compliments on the clean rooms with the caveat about the noise made by the housekeepers. We will speak with the staff about keeping the noise down, especially early in the morning!

Been to Sunset Beach Inn? Share your experiences!