“" A breath of fresh air "” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Beach Inn

You added Sunset Beach Inn to your Saves list
Sunset Beach Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   32246 Lankford Highway, Cape Charles, VA 23310 (Formerly Sunset Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Cape Charles
Trenton, New Jersey
“" A breath of fresh air "”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I was very pleased with our visit .The staff was very friendly and helpful.Even though it is an older property, the owners are taking good care of the premises. Outside of the Inn was well taking care of .The lawn was well manicured. The road leading to the beach had beautiful trees on both sides. Once you reached the end of the road there was a deck with entertainment and the beach. The rooms was very clean ! The only problem that we had was flies in the room...Guess you can't fight nature, but the staff will provide you with bug spray. We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so very much for your wonderful review! We are glad that you were able to take advantage of some of the amenities at Sunset Beach including our private beach and bayside restaurant, the Sunset Grille. Thanks too for the compliments on the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. One of the issues with being in the middle of 1800 acres of Wildlife Refuge is that we do have wildlife! Thanks again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clearly this is an older property, and it does seem like management is trying, but I don't think I would stay here again. The room was spotless - thanks to the housekeeping staff - but they start cleaning early in the morning, and if your room is near where they work, you can hear them very clearly. I was not given the room I was promised when I booked the hotel, but it was okay. Don't expect to get any ice in the mornings, there was never any - I think the fishermen who stay at the hotel a lot get it very early. The continental breakfast is pretty dreary, but at least it's something. The room shows it's age, but again, it was clean. Until they can fix some things, including the leaking toilet, I will stay elsewhere next time. Also, if management reads this, you need a comfortable chair in the room, not just a hard side chair.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Sunset Beach. We have just obtained more comfortable chairs and are in the process of placing them into the rooms. Thanks for the compliments on the clean rooms with the caveat about the noise made by the housekeepers. We will speak with the staff about keeping the noise down, especially early in the morning!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife, 2 kids and I stayed here this past weekend. We had an amazing time. The place is clean. They have one of the best continental breakfasts that I have seen. The staff at the hotel and grill were so friendly. The beach was nice too!! My family and I will be back. You can't find anything better for the price. Beats going to Va Beach. The only down fall is the town of Cape Charles is kind of like a ghost town but the good thing is everything u need it at the hotel or grill. Food was great at the grill too!!

• Stayed July 2013
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your Outstnding review! We are so glad that you had a good time while visiting Sunset Beach. Thanks again and please come back soon.
Chesterfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband & I went there for a few days of R&R. Our first impression was not good, wish we had followed our instincts & moved on. There were only 2 cars in the lot, for a Thur. in July, 1st bad sign. The hotel office had a friendly employee but the room was old & in need of upgrades. Upon opening our door we were greeted by stench. The room had necessities only, bed (sheet only) TV in cabinet, table & 2 chairs. You could see the chair was missing from the corner. It was dimly lit. The bathroom was disgusting, covered in mold & mildew, part of the wall had rotted away. The carpet reeked. We tried to air the room out & had thoughts of leaving. We decided to check out the beach & grounds. The layout of the facility made us think that at one point in time it had been a nice thought or vacation spot. But years of neglect had deteriorated this site. With that in mind, we talked about how nice it would be to demolish he whole place and rebuild. That would get rid of all the stench, bugs & bad décor. No doubt it would be a draw after that as a great/fun vacation spot. The food at the lounge was very expensive, the lounge itself was filthy! There is more to maintaining a food facility than emptying trash. The beach had a nice view but the sand area was dirty, broken glass, and loaded with cigarette butts. They did provide chairs.
Now if you plan to sleep, forget it! They rent rooms to anyone that shows up including all the degenerates in the area. Safety for yourself is a real issue. The low life people were outside & loud all night making it unbearable to sleep. Also forget about getting coffee or their so called complimentary breakfast if you show up after 7:00 am. Pathetic.
There are not many places to stay in this area unfortunately but a tent or your car would be a better choice than this place.
We had planned to stay 4 nights & had reservations. The 2nd morning we got up & loaded our car. When I checked out early, I was not asked why but when I started to give my opinion the phone rang & I was ignored. After that we read other reviews & realized how the management ignores all of them. They claim that they just refurbished, where? There are no signs. Please do yourself a favor & avoid this place!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Harmony_Management, Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
We are wondering if you have Sunset Beach confused with another establishment? We sold out for the entire July 4th weekend. We do not have a lounge only the restaurant on the beach. Our beach is throughly cleaned and raked twice a week with spot checks in between. Breakfast service lasts until 10am and there is always plenty. Mangement does pay strict attention to the reviews and uses the comments to correct problems. Please do come and visit us sometime!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I stopped in to see if this was a nice place for us to stay for the night. I knew there was a problem when I saw 3 large fans blasting in the 80 degree lobby.
The attendant gave me a key to view the $129 a night king size suite with a disclaimer attached. "There is a leak behind the shower. Check it out because I wasn't gonna rent it."
OMG!! I walked in and the ceiling was covered in mold. The room reeked of stale air. Horrific!!! I gave the key back and skidded out of there. Never!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Harmony_Management, General Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We greatly apologize for this incident. That room was out of service and should never have been shown to anyone except the workmen who were already scheduled to repair it!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to stay. We have three dogs and it looked like a great place to let the dogs run on the beach after bring in the car so long. But by the beach and upon arrival we drove around the hotel and decided not to stay. There were only about two people walking around that's it. Creepy. The parking lots were empty and it looked really run down. My teenage daughter was like "we are not staying here." If a Hilton or Marriot leveled this place and built a new hotel, I'd come back. Location is amazing but it's super creepy looking just from driving around. I called them and said we were not staying there. I'll check my credit card statement to make sure they didn't charge me. :(. Sad the person who answered the phone was very polite. But it's sad to see an abandoned hotel right on the beach.

• Stayed July 2013
How can you write a review of a place when you did not even stop? Your review of a place that you did not visit makes no sense. If you looked on our website you would see what the property looks like. What you would have seen if you had stopped is that our grounds are well maintained, our rooms have been renovated, and they are clean! So far as your comment about two people walking around, we usually sell out on the weekend.
Saratoga Springs, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

During our three-night stay, we discussed numerous times what a waste of potential this motel is. The location is awesome. A beautiful little private beach on the bay with a beach-side restaurant and bar. Beautiful green lawn and playground area as well. The complimentary breakfast was fine. Additionally, all of the staff that I came across were very nice. Here come the issues that prevent this from being a four-star review. The motel is dated. The room was clean, but the bathroom caulk was black with mold. Our room was not cleaned at all during our stay, nor were my towels or coffee refreshed. After the first day of no cleaning, I went to the front desk to ask for towels and coffee. The nice gentleman gave me towels, but had no coffee to give me. He also, oddly, didn't ask what room I was in so that the situation could be remedied the next day. The next day, I fully expected the room to be cleaned, since I saw the housekeeper making her way toward my room with her children in tow. But, nope. Never got cleaned. The beach was pretty dirty as well. Lots of cigarette butts and broken glass. The worst thing though, was the playground area. We took the little ones over to play and right away noticed a horrible odor. It turned out that someone had left a bunch of garbage in the grill there, and it was rotting. That garbage stayed there during our entire stay, and you could smell it something awful when you passed by. The plastic on the slide was cracked, and the four-year old hurt himself going down. Last observation: we spent $140 on lunch at the restaurant. We had good service and the food was good. However, the number of flies that swarmed everything and everybody just made it an awful experience. We did not eat there again. I realize they're part of nature, but there must be some controls that could be employed. Bottom line is that with some investment in upgrades,and added staff accountability, this place could charge twice what it does and still be packed. Maybe that's the lesson though. There were no vacancies when we were there, so why try harder?

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Harmony_Management, General Manager at Sunset Beach Inn, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for acknowledging how “awesome” our private beach and restaurant is on the Chesapeake Bay!

We understand that your visit to Sunset Beach took a turn for the worse when you came back to the restaurant the day after your lunch to contest the bill. It seems you all had a lot of fun and did not remember how much you had consumed. After reviewing your tab you agreed that it was indeed what you had consumed. Then you tried to get a discount off your bill which we saw no reason to provide. After that it seems everything was wrong at our establishment. Although we do not like to correct our guests we have to point out that our housekeepers are not allowed to have family members on the property while working. This is our company policy and one that we enforce. Further, we clean the beach every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings as well as spot checks along the way. So far as the garbage you cited, you were at the fish cleaning station which is not near the restaurant or the hotel. Again, we clean the fish station daily but because of the service it provides it is inevitable that it is not always pleasant. So it seems after contesting your valid restaurant bill most everything went wrong for you. We find that very unfortunate because we offer an honest and clean family friendly place of business.

Been to Sunset Beach Inn? Share your experiences!