“Forget It!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kiptopeke Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cape Charles
Kiptopeke Inn
29106 Lankford Hwy, Cape Charles, VA 23310   |
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Cape Charles
BocaFlorida
“Forget It!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

We were tired and figured we would spend the night before
driving over the bridge/tunnel to Norfolk. Big mistake. Four miles north of bridge we found a brand new motel-2 levels. No cars in parking lot . Believe name "Cape Motel". Asked for room at 5:00 PM and was told $169.00 a night--told them they were crazy and moved down RT 13 to this place.
Again, nobody in the rooms. EMPTY. Looked at room (had trouble finding it because most rooms had no numbers on door) and said ok. When asked, the desk clerk gave us 10% off for AAA $79.00 a night. Also got a free breakfast at "Al's" at the end of the lodge.

Tired we crashed. TV had several cable stations and some actually could be watched! Good news we could not see the convention. Room/bed was passable

Desk clerk was trying to have us not rent a room and strongly suggested we could get cheaper rooms across the bridge--she was right.
Got up in the AM and NOBODY else was staying there. Went to
"Al's "and it was closed.

We should have gone the additional 22 miles across the Chesapeake.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Richmond, Va.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

My mother and I stayed at the Kiptopeke Inn for one night on Aug. 18. I mainly booked it because it allows dogs, so my mom could bring hers with us. We were on the Eastern Shore to pick up my son from camp early the next morning.

It's a 70s-style concrete 2-story hotel that's pretty run down; we got there at dusk and there was a no vacancy sign posted, I was glad I'd made a reservation a few weeks ahead of time.

After checking in, we drove around back to our room and as we turned the corner of the hotel, it was as if we'd entered a fishermen's tailgate party. Boats and large vehicles of all sizes all over the place, and groups of men and women cooking out and socializing. There were some non-fishing families staying there, too, and a few kids in the swimming pool that night. In addition to fishermen, it looked like some families use it as an overnight stop on their way to or from a beach vacation.

But everyone was nice, a little bit of noise in the night -- nothing to complain about. The room was decent, but 2 of the 4 light fixtures didn't work. One lamp actually had the socket flipped over on its side dangling by the wires. I don't know why a cleaner didn't see it, I guess the shade hid it. However, I switched lamps so we got a working lamp with a decent wattage light bulb on the bedside table so we could read that night.

Other than that the room was OK, clean, but the shower was a bit slow to drain.

I thought the continental breakfast was the worst I had ever seen. Paper plates and styrofoam cups, everything on a small portable table. Mom had a pop-tart and some juice; I just had a bit of coffee. They had 2 types of cereal, and maybe a pastry, maybe some toast. You could buy a regular breakfast at the restaurant; the sole waitress was quite nice, as was everyone we came in contact with there, both employees and other guests.

We were safe, the room was clean, the ac worked fine; TV reception was OK, just the property itself needs a massive overhaul. Outside of the room, everything seemed dingy and rundown, a sign said there was no ice machine. But I'd probably stay there again if it's the only place that can accommodate dogs. Just don't expect a Comfort Inn.

• Liked — Location and the fact that it accepted dogs
  • Disliked — Run down
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Waterford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

This is a fisherman's hotel, period. We stopped on vacation late one night. Wanted to go over the bridge in the daylight. Room was dirty, had to ask for soap, bed sheets did not fit so they came up while we were sleeping, flies everywhere, breakfast was like nothing, price way too high for what we got.

On the positive side, the in room internet did work which made my teen happy, our air conditioning was fine, and it did not smell as badly as the last place we stopped.

Oh yeah, the alarm went off at 6:15. Time to go fishing.

• Liked — did not smell, in room internet worked
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Wanted to take my family fishing and the Kiptopeke was a great location and had what we needed for a successful trip. With the restaurant opening soon we can even get our meals!

• Liked — Amenities for fishermen
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2008

Although the hotel needs some work done in the housekeeping area and the overall appearance, I must say that the staff made up for that. I was always greeted with a smile, and any questions that I asked were answered quickly and very politely. one young lady in particular was very charming, I think her name was Malissa.

Stayed September 2007
ontheroad80
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

What can I say other than this was the worst hotel I can remember staying in. My first clue was the teenager who would not check me in until after 3:00 PM, even though half the hotel was empty. The rooms were dirty and the entire hotel needs a paint job. Keep on driving. Sleeping in your car would be better than this, especially at $109.00 per night.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty rooms
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlottesville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

We decided to go see the ponies swim in Chincoteague at the last minute and stayed at this hotel the night before. The reviews I read were not promising but we just needed a place for the night and so we booked a room. We paid $100 which was definitely too much for what we got. The bathroom floor was dirty, there was dried caulk on the floor, the toilet seats were old and scratched up, there were stains in the room, the curtains didn't close all of the way, and worst of all the air conditioner made awful noises all night long and I hardly slept at all. The only good things I noticed about the motel were that pets were allowed (hard to find places that allow this) and the bedding appeared clean.

• Liked — pets were allowed
  • Disliked — the noisy air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kiptopeke Inn? Share your experiences!