“Old, tired, cheap -- okay for a night” 2 of 5 stars

Buena Vista Motel
29th Street, Buena Vista, VA 24416   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buena Vista
Philadelphia, PA
“Old, tired, cheap -- okay for a night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

As I've said more than once; independent lodgings have, for at least the last couple decades, the options of joining a chain, becoming a home-like charming place, or being just plain cheap. I've stayed at places that have made each of these choices, and this one has taken option three.

Stayed here one night in order to get an early start hiking on a day I expected more heat and humidity than I could handle. I originally thought to camping out on this night, but then realized I would be unlikely to sleep well in a tent if the air never really got comfortable. So I looked for the least expensive place to stay that was as close to the trail head as possible -- and this place fit both requirements.

The place is clearly old, and has not had any major renovations in years. The locks on the doors, for example, still use keys and are the type that do not lock unless you press the button on the knob. That was standard when I first stayed at motels -- over fifty years ago! -- but it's long past standard today.

The office has literally nothing except a counter for check-in and a box of tourist literature -- not even a bathroom! The clerk has trouble finding a key for my room, which had to leave me unimpressed. The room itself had full bath, phone, AC, radio-alarm, microwave, mini-fridge (badly in need of a defrosting), coffee-maker, and TV with 37 channels. The curtains did not fully close, and the rotator for one of the windows was completely broken -- I had to close the window by pulling on it. The bed was comfortable, the room was well-stocked & clean, and the place was quiet enough for me to get a good night's sleep. Free amenities included parking and wi-fi -- the latter did not seem to work with my smart phone.

The motel is isolated from the town, so you'll need a car just to get something to eat. The view of the mountains was, as stated by the motel's URL, quite nice.

If you're in the area and just need a roof over your head for a night, this will probably suffice. But the place is so much in need of renovation that, despite its low price, I could not give it even a mediocre rating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank RabePaul

Madison, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was on a motorcycle trip from Florida riding the Blue Ridge Pkwy. It was getting late in the afternoon, the GPS showed two motels in Buena vista, Virginia, the Budget in was a joke, it should be condemned, I didn't stay there. I rode just down the street to the second motel in town, the Buena Vista motel. I couldn't believe I stopped in this town. I was very tired so I stayed. The rate was too high at $66 dollars, for this place was a joke. The place looked terrible, the room was old and out dated. I don`t smoke but I asked the lady at the front desk if I could save money by staying in a smoking room, she said yes, only I almost gaged when I went in the room, so I stuck with a non smoking room. You may not believe this next statement but I swear it`s true. The front door of the room looked like it had been kicked in, so I had to prop a chair in front of it to feel safe and I`m a retired cop. Avoid this town at all costs. I took some photos, see for your self.

Room Tip: Don`t waste your time going to this town.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank John P

Travelers are raving about these Buena Vista hotels

Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are looking for a new modern room, lots of amenities, large flat screen TV, and a sumtuous breakfast, drive by this motel. It has none of these. It is basic lodging. We stayed there for 3 nights to attend a musical event in the area. The room was dated to say the least but it had a better heating/cooliong unit than some of the more expensive places we have stayed at recently. The beds were comfortable. Linen on the beds and in the bathroom was clean. During our stay we experienced no loud parties. It appeared that many of the guests were construction workers. We had stayed here in the past and had a similar experience. The price per night reflects what the motel is. If we are in the area and decide not to ride through deer country in the dark we'll stay here again. It's a far cry form a Holiday Inn Express. It has been clean and quiet basic lodging for us.

Room Tip: Be prepared to step back into the 60's and experience some warts. It ain't perfect!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This place doesn't look too bad from the outside, so when I needed a place to stay in that area I made a phone reservation (no e-mail) about a month in advance. Then I called two more times to confirm. I clearly requested and was told I would have a non-smoking room, but none were available when I checked in. I did enter the room and it reeked -- plus it was NOT clean-looking to me. The man in the office did refund my payment. Still, just because of the way it looks I would not stay there in any room in the future.

Just two exits up the Interstate in Raphine, VA, we got a room, with a view, in a beautiful new Comfort Inn for only $5 more than we were going to pay in Buena Vista! There were several other nice-looking chain hotels in that area.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank radavis777
Huntington Station
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were looking for something very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway and this fit in with that plan. This is a very basic motel. We didn't expect much and didn't get much. They do offer discounts to local restaurant but we had already eaten. The man who checked us in was polite and the other guests were quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue K
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Loud party right outside our room and night manager did nothing said they were senior citizens. We couldn't get to sleep until 2 am after driving on the parkway all day. Moldy shower and water wouldnt drain so you were standing in nasty water.

• Stayed June 2013
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This motel has a ton of potential but it's horribly dirty. Our mattresses had stains that either reflected vomit or feces. Huge cobwebs in the corners and the blankets were visably dirty.
We asked for nonsmoking & got a room reeking of smoke.
Because of the location I had no other choice and slept in my sleeping bag on top of the bed after stripping it down to the sheets.
Avoid if possible!!!

Robert E Lee Hotel
Robert E Lee Hotel
#9 of 16 in Lexington
3.5 of 5 stars 70 reviews

Been to Buena Vista Motel? Share your experiences!