“Worth the detour” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bakery, Barbecue, Jamaican
Manassas, Virginia
“Worth the detour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

We were greeted with a smile and a friendly hello by the hostess. We got there right as it opened (not on purpose) and the place filled up fast.

Our server, Morgan, was friendly and attentive. The menu selection was small, but It looked like the menu options change from day-to-day.
Food was excellent. We had the fried chicken and jerk chicken with cole slaw and barbecue beans, black beans and rice, Mac n cheese, and fries. There was no separate kids' menu, but our kids were content to order sides and fried chicken and we all just shared. Bathrooms were clean and pretty. Restaurant is very nice inside. This place was well worth the trip off of the highway!

Frederick, Maryland
“Great Southern Hospitality and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

While on a road trip in June, we stopped by because of the reviews and were very pleased with our meals. Since we are a larger family, I tasted quite a bit of the menu off of the kid's plates. The BBQ was delicious, I enjoyed the jerk chicken, although it was a thigh and I prefer white meat, the fried chicken and catfish were also very good. My side of mashed potatoes was rich, and the collards still had some crunch and were yummy. The owner came and talked with us while we were waiting and insisted we try a sample of the BBQ beans, and they were AWESOME! Family run and made fresh, so expect a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This was our first time at Eatz. It came highly recommended by a friend and we weren't disappointed. We enjoyed great down home food in a comfortable atmosphere. Eatz is a family run restaurant. Our waiter was the owner's son and his service was friendly and attentive. My wife ordered the fried catfish and I decided to try the ribs - which we saw outside on the smoker on the way in. A few minutes later the owner, Mark came out to break the news that they had sold the 14 racks that he smoked overnight and the next round wasn't ready yet. He apologized and suggested several alternatives. I went with the catfish too and it was a great decision. All of the food came out hot and it was obviously all home made. The catfish was lightly breaded and perfectly cooked. The Collard greens were well seasoned and the mac and cheese was also very good. Desert was blackberry cobbler made by our waiter's mother. There is no doubt that we will be back to Eatz very soon.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Norton, Virginia
“Great Southern Comfort Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Read the reviews on here and had to give it a try. We were not disappointed. The staff was great, the atmosphere was nice and the food was wonderful. I had the catfish dinner with coleslaw and baked Mac & Cheese. The sides were good but the catfish was the star of the show. My husband had the BBQ platter. It came with bbq pork, fries, coleslaw and bbq baked beans. He also ordered a side of collard greens. All of his was good too. The pork was amazing but in my opinion the collard greens were out of this world, the seasoning was perfect, no need for vinegar. You get cornbread with your meal also. It's sweet cornbread and its so good. I think it's family owned/ran. They were some of the nicest people you will ever meet. We were the first ones there today and when we left it was packed. There's not alot of tables. Also it's not a huge menu to choose from but what they fix as amazing. Definitely going back.

Visited May 2014
Bristol, Tennessee
“What happened guys?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

When Eatz first opened in Bristol, my boyfriend and I were very eager to try it, and it did not disappoint. This was the first place I'd ever eaten at which could reproduce the kind of food my grandparents used to make: collard greens, meatloaf, banana pudding and other southern classics. I remember us going all-out and ordering ribs and jerk chicken, and both were delicious and huge, with the jerk chicken actually being half of a whole chicken! And the jerk spices were their own blend, not some prepackaged, granulated stuff. However, as time went on we noticed that Eatz was, quite frankly, never open when they were supposed to be. We thought they were simply out of town, but this became a regular occurrence.

Once in a blue moon we'd be lucky enough to catch them, and once, upon entering we were startled to see a majority of the tables were empty, but hadn't been bussed. I've worked in a few restaurants myself, and wondered why no one could be bothered to clean the tables when there were no customers around. This was quite a turn-off for us, but a dream come true for the flies buzzing about.

We were willing to forgive all this, I suppose out of sheer thankfulness that the place was even open to begin with. Eatz was closed so often after this that we pretty much wrote it off as a downtown option. However, the other day we were walking past Eatz to hit up the Burger Bar, and lo and behold - the "open" sign was on! We had to go, as this opportunity doesn't present itself very often. There were three other parties seated, and none of the tables were laden with half eaten food, so we were excited. We ordered the catfish and a vegetable plate with greens, a sweet potato and the day's special, corn pudding, which our server recommended.

Then the waiting began. I quickly noticed that none of the seated parties had received their food, and knew that we were in for a long wait as they were all there before us. So we sipped our sickly sweet brown sugar water (also known as "sweet tea") and chatted. I was actually pretty alarmed by the tea, as silly as it sounds, because if they can't get that simple southern staple right, then what would our meal be like?

When it finally arrived, after around 45 minutes, I immediately zeroed in on the corn pudding. I have no idea what they had done to it, but it was a ramekin of corn kernels with what looked like scrambled bits of egg white in it! I'm no Top Chef, but I know what corn pudding should look like, and this wasn't it. The greens and potato were okay, but we had to ask for butter and were given one tiny pack each. Then my boyfriend asked me to try his catfish. The breading was amazing, but there was a very odd mushy consistency about it. We knew it had been frozen and hadn't cooked all the way through. His other piece was fine, though. But yet again, after other tables began to leave, their dirty dishes just sat there the entire time while our waiter chatted with a friend at the remaining party's table.

In all, I'm starting to get the feeling that Eatz just cannot fully get it together. Maybe they're concentrating on building up their catering business, but if so I suggest closing the restaurant. I'm not sure how they stay open in the first place as they're closed more often than they're open. This place started out as a serious contender for some of the best food downtown, but it has been on a steady decline since then. The people who own Eatz are always nothing but kind and courteous, and are well known and liked in the community, especially when that barbeque pit appears during special events downtown. I could easily see people being willing to overlook their shortcomings because of this, because I've done it myself. But the bottom line is: this place isn't what it used to be...

• Visited May 2014