“NASTY AND GROSS” 1 of 5 stars

2221 Euclid Avenue, Bristol, VA 24201   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Bristol
“NASTY AND GROSS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We were going to stay there for a family vacation but when we got there we were disapointed it was not even a HoJo it was just Bristol Inn. We gave it a chance we got our room and got settled in well when we got ready to go to bed my youngest daughter said she felt something burning and itching on her leg and thigh I looked she had red bites all over her it was BED BUGS the place was infested ! I would not recommend anyone stay here I went down to the front desk and the front door was locked ! And when I told them I needed to come in and show them a picture they said whatever and let me in apparently this was not the first time this had happened they seen the pictures and said what is that I said that is bed bugs from the room we were in theu said we dont have bed bugs we cant were clean hugh yeah right the place was discusting I told them I wanted all my money back and they gave me all my money. We went to a better hotel in the area spite the 2 in the morning issue we had a good family vacation.

• Stayed May 2012

Toledo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I stayed there the first week of August. It was hard to find at first because the Howard Johnson's sign was missing. The innkeeper explained that strong winds had knocked it down and he was getting a new sign on Monday.

Maybe, but how do you explain the Howard Johnson logo on the awning being spray painted over? (See photo below). Also, when I got on Hojo.com, they had no listing for Bristol. Very strange.

As for the motel itself, it was quite dirty on the outside, with failed concrete, grass growing in the parking lot and cigarette buts swept into corners and not picked up. The motel appeared to be more of a transient hotel with some people looking like they had been staying there for weeks. Motel furniture was placed outside of many rooms like it was somebody's front porch. Little kids and dogs ran everywhere.

We stayed there on a Saturday night and as the evening wore on, more and more unsavory-looking characters started appearing and congregating on the upper deck of our wing. Being with two kids, I was kind of worried. Reading other reviews on this site and other sites only added to this fear.

On the plus side, our room and bathroom appeared clean, if a little dated. The structure appears to have originally well-built despite its current state, because I heard none of the creaking ceilings and flushing toilets from adjacent rooms that you typically hear in those cheaply-built motels with paper-thin walls. If there was any late night partying going on, I didn't hear it. The air conditioner fan did a good job of drowning out unwanted noise.

You also got a hot breakfast and the lobby appeared clean, if a little small.

But I would not stay here again, unless it was rebranded and cleaned up. Maybe the owner is trying to fix it up, but there's no excuse for not breaking out the dustbin and sweeping up those cigarette butts.

The adjacent Knights Inn appeared much cleaner and seems to have got much better reviews. I wish I would have seen it. It was only a few dollars more than the $44 I paid which seems like toomuch for this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

This should have been a tale of two motels. The outside and public areas were a mess. Cracked pavement in the parking lot. Overflowing dumpsters. Furniture on the sidewalks and walkways. Uneven walkways. This place was not attractive on the outside.

The rooms themselves were in good shape. Everything in the rooms I was assigned (two visits, one inbound and one outbound) was in good working order, comfortable, and clean. The rooms were quiet. The only nitpick that I could make about the rooms themselves was the lack of spare outlets, as the ones in the room were all used with one appliance or another.

The staff was friendly. Both the checkin and checkout were handled quickly and correctly. The breakfast was fresh and well prepared, with eggs and sausage gravy available. The breakfast area was very small, with the patrons tripping over the desk manager as he cleaned and restocked throughout the morning, but he was cleaning and restocking. The business center was a single computer in the lobby, but it was in good working order, with a printer that saved me from having to make an office store stop on the way out of town.

In summary, this was a good place for a quick stop on the way through the area, especially at the roadside coupon rate. I’m not sure I’d be overly satisfied at race weekend rates, but then again, those are avoided by picking a hobby that doesn’t cram a quarter million people into the same zip code.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

My son stayed there and was horrified at the condition of the property. The room was very dirty, floors was soaking wet, a/c was not functioning, shower/tub had a yellow residue and the towels were dirty. Despite the 85 degree temperature and clammy environment, he dared to lay down on the bed after a 12 hour drive only to find someone repeatedly attempting to enter the door. He could not report any of this as the front desk was "unmanned," He left after an hour. Worse place he had ever stayed. Howard Johnson should be ashamed of their name on this property as it will impact all the others I might have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Wyandotte, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I am sorry but I feel obligated to warn fellow travelors, this place is not clean. The windows on the door as you entered were smudged, the place smelled like it was dirty, and it looked worn down. I have stayed at many places for the same price. It is cheap but cheap does not have to be dirty.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
radford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

rooms were stinky and dirty, carpet was dirty, blood & dirt stains on walls, bathtub looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a pretty good while, cobwebs and bugs, managent was not friendly .......You definately get what you pay for! Will NOT stay again!!!! Swimming pool looked as if it was falling all to heck! Very poorly managed. Asked for clean towels and was told they didn't even have 4 clean towels.........very disappointed!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Middleburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

This was our last hotel stay in a week of traveling to & from New Mexico. At this point we had had 2 not so great hotel stays and one terrific one. Since our 3rd hotel stay was a good experience, I went with a hotel with the name chain name as our good experience. The stay was okay but not quite as good as the prior night's stay at a Howard Johnson.

The pluses were the room was sufficiently warmed upon our arrival. There were washcloths & towels. And the room was clean.

The items that made the stay just okay were: we had to walk up outside steps to get to our room - they weren't very wide and they were rather dark. When we pulled our blankets down, the whole bedding came up since the bottom sheet was not a fitted sheet. It was just a flat sheet but wasn't long enough to tuck under the mattress.

• Liked — The temperature of the room
  • Disliked — The steps getting to the room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Howard Johnson Bristol? Share your experiences!