“Another Great Birthday Celebration for Me, Me, Me” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13630 Lord Fairfax Highway, Boyce, VA 22620   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct - Best Rates
Ranked #1 of 2 Boyce B&B and Inns
Herndon, Virginia
“Another Great Birthday Celebration for Me, Me, Me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My girlfriend has treated me, for my birthday, to dinner, overnight stay and breakfast for the last 8 or 9 years at L'Auberge. Obviously we LOVE the place. We have found our favorite room ( sorry it's a secret ) and have managed to reserve it most of the time. L'Auberge has both rooms and suites and some villas a few miles from the main house. The suites, I believe, are the separate accommodations and a short walk (100 feet) from the main house. We have stayed in them and they are great but now we prefer staying in the main house. The suites are great if you want a little more privacy but the rooms in the main house are also very quiet and private. The dinners and breakfasts have been exceptional and seem to get better every year. And the staff is very friendly and helpful. Two of the pictures attached are from our 2012 visit since I didn't take any inside room pictures on our 2013 visit. The 3rd one is of the new kitty, Noelle. L'Auberge is about 60 or 65 miles from D.C..Getting there is pretty easy once you get on Virginia roads. It is basically a straight shot on Route 50 until you make a left onto 340 with L'Auberge on the right about 3/4 mile down the road. And if you like cats, go visit Noelle in the office.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Newport News VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Superlative food, extensive wine list, friendly and efficient service make for a memorable stay. Room decor and amenities are luxe and the grounds are beautiful. Altogether a wonderful place for a special occasion getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms in the historic main house are lovely
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
We strive here at L'Auberge Provencale to give our guests a great experience in both food, wine, service, grounds and decor. All of us at the inn appreciate your high praise and are extremely rewarded you had such a lovely time.
Hopefully, we will see you again in the future at L'Auberge Provencale. And thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Ellicott City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My fiancée made reservations last May for their Honeymoon weekend package plus one extra night.
We had GREAT expectations this however was not to be. We made the mistake to book a room with a private entrance, we were not told that the rooms with a private entrance are not part of the main house but like a very small strip mall motel. I think that is why there were no photos of the outside of the private entrance rooms.( had we known we would have booked a room in the main house ) The cost of the separate entrance rooms were more expensive. The room was adequate in size but do not go with their photos it makes the room look 3 times the actual size. the water pressure in the room wasn't so great, you would expect a lot more shower pressure. There isn't a phone of any kind in the room and they do not answer the business phone in the evening, so if you have a problem or need something you have to walk to the main house which is locked in the EARLY evening and then knock very hard there was no bell. We were enjoying a quiet bottle of wine and cheese that we had brought with us. ( there is no mini bar or fridge in the room luckily we brought a cooler with us, we had about a 4 hr. ride from home ) when we heard this loud banging coming from the room attached to ours.
After about 10 minutes I had to get dressed and walk about 150 feet to the main house, it was only 8 pm but the door was locked. When someone answered I told them about the disturbance. I am 60 years old and have been to many b&bs thru out America and Europe, you could always get tea coffee cookies scones etc. until at least 11pm. NOT HERE Any way by 8 20 the noise had stopped, it it sounded as if someone was bouncing a bowling ball. It started again at about 10 pm the same thing get up get dressed and walk back to the main house, a phone to communicate from your room or a # where you could reach them at night would have been nice.
The noise stopped again only to start at 7 am on Sunday morning.
Celeste the one owner had helped my then fiancée put on her wedding gown, but it was rush rush rush like she had someplace to go.
Celeste had taken many photos of us both which was VERY IMPORTANT because my friend who came in from N.Y had blurred most of the photos that he took of us..
Originally we had planned for a wedding dinner for 3 on Sat. night at 5pm we later changed that to dinner on Sunday for two.
Well on Sunday afternoon my Wife asked to change our Honeymoon dinner to eight pm, she was told no we had to have it at 5.
The evening dinner is open to the public as well as guests and I believe they serve until at least 9 or later. They have a lovely room with a large fireplace that was not being used during the summer, we thought that was to be the room for the promised romantic honeymoon dinner.
When our forced five pm meal was served in the main breakfast area were every one else was being served dinner I asked could we not get a more private romantic spot.
They moved up us 6 feet away to were they put out a breakfast buffet soon to be joined by another couple at the table next to ours.
We could have the same romantic dinner at any restaurant in town. NOT AS PROMISED NOT ROMANTIC AT ALL.
( VERY DISAPOINTING )
We were there the end of June and the weather was very hot, the following day after we arrived we found out from a guest that there was access to a pool. We did not see that from their internet ad at the time nor were we informed when we spoke while booking the wedding package.
We were told that tips were not included with the package price, but we weren't told that they would be added in for us when we paid the bill. So we actually tipped everyone twice.
They should have told us up front that mandatory tips would be added.
I like to tip according to the service received not a % chosen by the establishment. ( what about you )
We were also promised a treasured departing gift which we never received.
We never gave them written or verbal permission to do anything with the many photos that Celeste had taken YET WE NEVER RECEIVED A ONE.
In closing it is a very expensive place we would have been better off with a 5 day cruise it would have cost the same. So if you have this kind of money to spend we would recommend finding a different venue.

Room Tip: We would like to include some great wedding photos but we do not have any, maybe the owner still doe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
We have been hosting weddings here at L'Auberge Provencale from intimate elopements to large under tent affairs for 33 years. This is the first time I have ever received a complaint from any of our brides or grooms. My brides have written glowing reviews, sent cards and even gifts with appreciation to the attention to detail we give to all our brides and grooms and families, here at the inn.
The rooms described as a "strip mall" are intimate attached cottages by our herb and flower gardens which are beautiful and serene. Pictures of the gardens and entrances are prominently displayed on our website and are our most requested rooms, especially Le Chambre des Amis.
We have three intimate dining rooms which each have around 7 tables. We do not have a private dining room for just a couple getting married, but we do make sure they have a nice intimate table to enjoy dinner together.
Our wedding package includes flowers for the bride, champagne and chocolate strawberries on arrival, a dinner for two, a toast of champagne (which we gave you a whole bottle), and a parting gift.
I am sorry you did not have the best honeymoon experience, but there are only certain things we can control in sometimes an imperfect time. Suffice, I would not discuss this in a public forum.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway with my hubby.

The Room - French country decor. Pretty and quaint. Very clean.

Restaurant - We did the 5 course meal. It was delicious. It was a bit overpriced in my opinion along with the drinks. The cheapest glass of wine was approximately $16.00. I live in DC and that is high even for DC standards. The breakfast was included. They are more than willing to make accommodations. I don't like sweets. They accommodated me and my savory breakfast was tasty!

Grounds - Very pretty. Plenty of fresh herbs and wildflowers. You may see a few bunny rabbits hopping around. This Inn is a little closer to the road than I imagined. You can hear cars drive by but it is not very noisy.

Service - Friendly service. I felt very relaxed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at L'Auberge Provencale. At our restaurant here at the inn, La Table Provencale, We are really seeing the fruits of much labor with the gardens bursting with fresh herbs and vegetables. The orchard is coming along nicely and we should have cherries any day now. All of the things we grow here at the inn, give our customers the chance to experience the freshest and best of the season.
At the inn we offer a three course menu, a five course menu and a chef's tasting menu. In order for us to procure our fresh products we must have things shipped in Fed - Ex every day. Our fish can come from day boats in Florida to Hawaii. We buy sustainable farm and ocean foods only to serve in La Table Provencale. This is a very expensive venture and we do believe our prices of 68.00, 89.00 and 105.00 (for the seven course menu) are really reasonable. We include fresh baked bread with each meal and an amuse buche and petit fours.
In the afternoon's we are now serving iced cold fresh minted lemonade, fresh fruit, pastries and cookies, roasted rosemary mixed nuts and our own dried fruit for our inn guests to enjoy.
We are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions and preferences for our guests. Thanks for giving us notice so we could make you the savory breakfast!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The inn, the rooms, the ambience, and the food were all outstanding as we expected from the great reviews we read here and elsewhere. This place looked like the perfect getaway for a very special anniversary that we were celebrating.

Unfortunately, there were a few things that let us down. The first one, mentioned by other reviewers, was the proximity to the road with the heavy truck traffic. You don't hear the noise when you are inside but we did spend a good amount of time outside and the noise was constant. Not much you can do about that issue.

The other issue started off sort of subtly. It was more about the tone set by some of the staff. Upon arrival, we didn't really receive a warm welcome (it was matter of fact, let me show you to your room). The staff were courteous, at least for most of our 2-night stay, but we thought that someone would at least acknowledge our 10-year anniversary at some point. When you make the reservation, you are asked to tell them if it is for a special occasion. We did make note of that in our reservation and thought they probably would leave a little note or chocolates or some sort of token, as we have experienced in hotels and B&B's wherever we have gone in the past -- just a small gesture. However, there was nothing to acknowledge our anniversary.

Upon checking out a breakfast on the last day, I mentioned this to the waitress. I simply asked if they typically do a little something special for people there for anniversary celebrations or other unique occasions. She said, we leave a "Happy Anniversary" note on the top of the menu from dinner ...."didn't you receive that?" No, we did not receive that. "Well, I can go get you one of those now if you would like," she said rather patronizingly. No thanks, I mentioned, it just would have been nice to have someone acknowledge our anniversary at some point. I wasn't using a confrontational tone at all, but our waitress clearly was a bit displeased that we would even raise the issue. So, she said with a not-so-genuine smile, "well, I will acknowledge your anniversary"....."Happy Anniversary to you" she said patting my back and walking off. My wife and I were a bit in shock. We just finished paying the bill for just under $1,100 for 2 nights and 2 dinners, and this is how we are treated? We were puzzled.

Anyway, we tried not to let it get to us, but as we left the restaurant, the waitress watched us walk off and didn't even say a word to me as I walked by her. She did say goodbye to my wife when she passed by. That was it. This left a sour tone with us the whole rest of the day. We will not be back to visit and we certainly will not recommend to others. We felt like we were treated quite poorly on our last day there. What a shame. We felt down-right insulted.

It really would not have taken much effort on their behalf to avoid this scenario, but no effort was made.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a huge deck.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
There is nothing to do but send my sincere apology. Usually we will have a special menu made for your evening dinner and I am quite shocked this was overlooked by our staff. I think the Jamie our breakfast server was genuine when she asked if you would like one. A lot of our customers like to keep them for mementos of their stay.
The staff at L'Auberge Provencale are trained to give a warm and genuine welcome to all of our guests. The fact that you did not experience this during your visit will certainly be addressed. Most of the guests are celebrating anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions here at the inn,
and I want all of our guests to feel special. I would love to send you a L'Auberge gift so if you contact the inn, just ask for me, Celeste, and I will be happy to send some memento of your anniversary your way.
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Wonderful bed and breakfast. Staff is very accommodating. Rooms are verynice. Enjoy the breakfasts and they will honor special dietary needs. Only drawback is the road noise and machine noise from refrigerators/air conditioners etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are certainly glad you enjoyed your time at L'Auberge Provencale. Yes, 32 years ago when we opened the inn, about 3 cars went down our road. During the day we do have local commuters and a few trucks passing by. I suggest to the inn guests to try relaxing in the backyard where we have numerous sitting areas with benches and the like with a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside. Much quieter there. Thank goodness, it all ceases in the evenings, which is a great time to enjoy a glass of wine or dessert on our spacious porch and terrace.
Or you may try our Villa La Campagnette just a short drive from the main inn next time you stay with us. We do serve breakfast to our guests there and dinner here at L'Auberge Provencale is just 3 minutes drive.
Moosic, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We cannot say enough good things about this place. It is just wonderful. The staff is outstanding. The suite we had was great. The repast dinner in our room was wonderful. We can't wait to go back. It is definitely worth every penny. We would recommend this B&B to anyone that wants a great experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with fireplace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!