“Beautiful Inn - Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast

Save Saved
You added L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   13630 Lord Fairfax Highway, Boyce, VA 22620   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Direct - Best Rates
Ranked #1 of 2 Boyce B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful Inn - Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend getaway with my hubby.

The Room - French country decor. Pretty and quaint. Very clean.

Restaurant - We did the 5 course meal. It was delicious. It was a bit overpriced in my opinion along with the drinks. The cheapest glass of wine was approximately $16.00. I live in DC and that is high even for DC standards. The breakfast was included. They are more than willing to make accommodations. I don't like sweets. They accommodated me and my savory breakfast was tasty!

Grounds - Very pretty. Plenty of fresh herbs and wildflowers. You may see a few bunny rabbits hopping around. This Inn is a little closer to the road than I imagined. You can hear cars drive by but it is not very noisy.

Service - Friendly service. I felt very relaxed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ProvenceVirginia, Owner at L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at L'Auberge Provencale. At our restaurant here at the inn, La Table Provencale, We are really seeing the fruits of much labor with the gardens bursting with fresh herbs and vegetables. The orchard is coming along nicely and we should have cherries any day now. All of the things we grow here at the inn, give our customers the chance to experience the freshest and best of the season.
At the inn we offer a three course menu, a five course menu and a chef's tasting menu. In order for us to procure our fresh products we must have things shipped in Fed - Ex every day. Our fish can come from day boats in Florida to Hawaii. We buy sustainable farm and ocean foods only to serve in La Table Provencale. This is a very expensive venture and we do believe our prices of 68.00, 89.00 and 105.00 (for the seven course menu) are really reasonable. We include fresh baked bread with each meal and an amuse buche and petit fours.
In the afternoon's we are now serving iced cold fresh minted lemonade, fresh fruit, pastries and cookies, roasted rosemary mixed nuts and our own dried fruit for our inn guests to enjoy.
We are happy to accommodate dietary restrictions and preferences for our guests. Thanks for giving us notice so we could make you the savory breakfast!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The inn, the rooms, the ambience, and the food were all outstanding as we expected from the great reviews we read here and elsewhere. This place looked like the perfect getaway for a very special anniversary that we were celebrating.

Unfortunately, there were a few things that let us down. The first one, mentioned by other reviewers, was the proximity to the road with the heavy truck traffic. You don't hear the noise when you are inside but we did spend a good amount of time outside and the noise was constant. Not much you can do about that issue.

The other issue started off sort of subtly. It was more about the tone set by some of the staff. Upon arrival, we didn't really receive a warm welcome (it was matter of fact, let me show you to your room). The staff were courteous, at least for most of our 2-night stay, but we thought that someone would at least acknowledge our 10-year anniversary at some point. When you make the reservation, you are asked to tell them if it is for a special occasion. We did make note of that in our reservation and thought they probably would leave a little note or chocolates or some sort of token, as we have experienced in hotels and B&B's wherever we have gone in the past -- just a small gesture. However, there was nothing to acknowledge our anniversary.

Upon checking out a breakfast on the last day, I mentioned this to the waitress. I simply asked if they typically do a little something special for people there for anniversary celebrations or other unique occasions. She said, we leave a "Happy Anniversary" note on the top of the menu from dinner ...."didn't you receive that?" No, we did not receive that. "Well, I can go get you one of those now if you would like," she said rather patronizingly. No thanks, I mentioned, it just would have been nice to have someone acknowledge our anniversary at some point. I wasn't using a confrontational tone at all, but our waitress clearly was a bit displeased that we would even raise the issue. So, she said with a not-so-genuine smile, "well, I will acknowledge your anniversary"....."Happy Anniversary to you" she said patting my back and walking off. My wife and I were a bit in shock. We just finished paying the bill for just under $1,100 for 2 nights and 2 dinners, and this is how we are treated? We were puzzled.

Anyway, we tried not to let it get to us, but as we left the restaurant, the waitress watched us walk off and didn't even say a word to me as I walked by her. She did say goodbye to my wife when she passed by. That was it. This left a sour tone with us the whole rest of the day. We will not be back to visit and we certainly will not recommend to others. We felt like we were treated quite poorly on our last day there. What a shame. We felt down-right insulted.

It really would not have taken much effort on their behalf to avoid this scenario, but no effort was made.

Room Tip: Room 7 has a huge deck.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
There is nothing to do but send my sincere apology. Usually we will have a special menu made for your evening dinner and I am quite shocked this was overlooked by our staff. I think the Jamie our breakfast server was genuine when she asked if you would like one. A lot of our customers like to keep them for mementos of their stay.
The staff at L'Auberge Provencale are trained to give a warm and genuine welcome to all of our guests. The fact that you did not experience this during your visit will certainly be addressed. Most of the guests are celebrating anniversaries, birthdays and other special occasions here at the inn,
and I want all of our guests to feel special. I would love to send you a L'Auberge gift so if you contact the inn, just ask for me, Celeste, and I will be happy to send some memento of your anniversary your way.
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Wonderful bed and breakfast. Staff is very accommodating. Rooms are verynice. Enjoy the breakfasts and they will honor special dietary needs. Only drawback is the road noise and machine noise from refrigerators/air conditioners etc.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are certainly glad you enjoyed your time at L'Auberge Provencale. Yes, 32 years ago when we opened the inn, about 3 cars went down our road. During the day we do have local commuters and a few trucks passing by. I suggest to the inn guests to try relaxing in the backyard where we have numerous sitting areas with benches and the like with a beautiful view of the surrounding countryside. Much quieter there. Thank goodness, it all ceases in the evenings, which is a great time to enjoy a glass of wine or dessert on our spacious porch and terrace.
Or you may try our Villa La Campagnette just a short drive from the main inn next time you stay with us. We do serve breakfast to our guests there and dinner here at L'Auberge Provencale is just 3 minutes drive.
Moosic, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We cannot say enough good things about this place. It is just wonderful. The staff is outstanding. The suite we had was great. The repast dinner in our room was wonderful. We can't wait to go back. It is definitely worth every penny. We would recommend this B&B to anyone that wants a great experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with fireplace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have been guests at the Inn twice this year and will be going back ! Not only is it beautiful with lovely rooms - each different - we have stayed in a different one each time- but the food is positively wonderful. My husband is not a foodie and I will say dinner for him can be on the small side but he adores the breakfast !! I on the other hand appreciate all the little touches and micro greens and vegtables and sauces an enjoy every morsel. The staff is welcoming from the very beginning-our first visit had to be postponed due to an injury I sustained at the last minute and they managed to rebook our room saving us the one night charge-very considerate. At dinner the staff is helpful and very friendly,formal but not stuffy -we enjoyed a lovely conversation with the Owners son about antique cars which is a passion of my husband.

I will say that the last room we stayed in-Suite #2 I think on the ground floor of the building next to the main Inn-was a bit noisy with the door opening and closing and people going up and down the stairs-I am also slightly handicapped and found the step down into living area fine for day but difficult at night and getting into the commode area was difficult-but that was my fault as it is described perfectly on the web site-our other room was in the main building with a wonderful roof top balcony off the room which we enjoyed-I am anxious to try other rooms as well but will pay more attention to the descriptions !
You will love your time here - every minute !!

Room Tip: The web site has wonderful honest pictures and descriptions
Hayes, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband planned a anniversary weekend and found this wonderful B&B. owners we're gracious and the property is lovely. We were given great recommendations for winery tours, lunch spots and dinner in main building was divine! Yes expensive but worth it! Will be back for sure

Room Tip: We stayed in room #13 it was very spacious and great steam shower
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Without a doubt, dinner is the best feature of this lovely B&B just miles away from the Nation's Capital. It is on the pricey side, but absolutely worth every penny. We were delighted with the 3-course meal, cheese platter and the wide selection of wines and liquours. Service was very attentive and not intrusive at all. In sum, dinner is a complete romantic experience!

Breakfast is not as sumptuos as dinner: you are greeted by a cereal, pastries and juice bar that is rather average. There are no options for the main breakfast dish. During our stay, we had eggs benedict, which were served on top of a nice waffle, but not warm enough. The highlight of breakfast was definitely the apple crumble. Probably the best one I have ever had!

Our room was very spacious and nicely decorated. It had a fireplace and rocking chairs. The bed and pillows were great as well.

Thanks to its location and the wonderful dinner, L'Auberge Provencale is highly recommended for DC couples who want to get away without goin too far!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to L'Auberge Provencale Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!