“bring your dinner” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bluefield
Racine, Wisconsin
“bring your dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very nice new property with responsive caring staff. Clean and tidy, immaculate pool. However at least a 10 mile round trip to get anything--food included and a 20 mile round trip from I-77--this is only negative, but a really BIG one!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

36 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Hendersonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend traveling through the Blue Ridge Mtns. of West Virginia and impulsively stopped at a Comfort Inn, (7-2013). We had not seen a lot of choices on this secondary highway and it was getting late in the evening. The rate was O.K. and the room seemed average at first glance. The following are a list of issues that we experienced, (room 222). One of our room keys did not work and had to be re-coded. This did not fix the problem and the key had to be replaced. The matresses on the beds were dated and were overdue to be replaced. When i went to the front desk to get facial tissues, (empty box in bath) & the door key replaced, the desk clerk was outside the builing in front smoking and talking on a cell phone while the inside phones at the desk were ringing off their hooks. She finished her cigarette before returning. The AC was noisy and leaked condensate water on the floor so we had to put towels down to soak it up. This problem was not apparent until later in the evening. The toilet had a very loose seat whick was nuisance. There was also a family reunion in progress in the dining area that evening so there was not any access to this area due to approx. 35 people congesting a small place. The coffee maker in the room had standing water in lower glass container which looked yucky. The continental breakfast was satisfactory and was typical. The rest of the staff seemed courteous and friendly. Also, there is not an elevator to access the second floor. The next morning at check-out the desk clerk, was on the phone trying to resolve a credit card issue and simply waved off people wanting to checking out if they did not have to have a receipt. There were several people waiting in line, so I left not wanting to waste any more time with this level of service. After leaving the next moring we discovered that had we traveled another 5 miles north, we would have found a much better selection of hotels at the I-77 & hwy. 460 exit.

Room Tip: Choose a good hotel if you want a good room. Higher floors are typically quieter. Stay away from Ice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shoals, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Good experience overall. Nice staff to work with and very quiet rooms. Good internet service and good breakfast. Hard to get out of, had to turn right and go about half mile then turn around to go right. Within driving distance to good places to eat.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HAGERSTOWN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Checked in at 3 pm. Plugged the refrig. in (should've been done since we made this 2 day reservation several days in advance), loaded lunch meat & drinks inside. We turned on heat & left. Ret'd @ 9:15 pm, room was a sweatbox & the refrig was not cold. Food was ruined. Called front desk & was told she'd have someone check it in the am. She then offered to move us. It's 9:30 & we had already unpacked earlier. No... the damage is already done. She asked if we had the refrig. plugged in? Yes we do. Did you check the dial to turn it up? There is no dial..there's just a hole where the dial should be. Apparently there was no regulating the heater. It was on or off. If you like juice, danishes, waffles, bagels, cereal or yogurt than the breakfast would please you, however, the powdered eggs were horrific, the sausage patties bland and the coffee was entirely too strong...if you like espresso, it was for you. I asked for some sort of compensation or discount at check out (at 8 am) with regard to the refrig/heater issues & was told the Mgr would call me when he got in. He never did. I called him the following day & he stated that since the refrig & heater were both working there would be no compensation or discount & "the owner agrees". Okay.. apparently I don't even deserve an apology for my uncomfortable stay and loss. I listed the service as poor only because of how I was treated by the Manager "Charles", and Owner (whose name I was never given). The other staff members were very friendly and concerned about our comfort. I did eventually get an official and believable apology but only after I contacted the corporate office.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you expect this is be an average place, it will meet your expectations. If you are anticipating 3.5 star or higher, you will probably be disappointed. While I didn't experience any real problems with my stay, I didn't discover anything to brag about either.

Hotel is definitely an older property. My guess is easily a few decades old. Because of this, it has qualities that you would expect to find in an older property--worn furniture, worn carpet, dated furnishings, etc...

The staff was very friendly and courteous. The breakfast area was okay. The food was typical of a continental breakfast. I didn't like the location. It is a couple of miles out of town. But my biggest issue was that you can only turn right onto a 4-lane divided road coming out of the property. So if you are going into Bluefield, you have to turn right and go about a 1/4 mile and either U-turn or turn into a business parking lot and turn around.

I don't think there is really too much else to say. This Comfort Inn is an average hotel. I got a good rate when I stayed--one of the primary reasons I decided to give it a shot. After staying there, I had no real problems. Once again, understand you are not getting a 4-star property when you choose this place. But for a stop over on a long drive or a short visit to the area, this place probably will suffice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I travel to this area on business at least once a month. I used to stay in Claypool Hill each time I was in the area. About 4 years ago my usual place in Claypool Hill was booked up, so I had to stay in this Comfort Inn in Bluefield, it was about 30 miles out of my way and I wasn't happy. My first stay and every stay since then was so good that I haven't stayed anywhere else since. Yes, that means I actually drive 30 minutes out of my way everytime I am down there JUST SO I CAN STAY HERE!!!! The best part of the stay is always the staff and the best out of all of them is the girl that works the graveyard shift JAMIE. I stay out of town on business quite a bit and I have never seen another person go out of their way to make my stay great more than Jamie. She has always went above and beyond to make sure that everyone has a pleasant stay. I have had problems with getting my points from Choice Hotels...most other places will tell you to call the 1-800 number and do it yourself. Jamie took it upon herself to make sure that I got credit for my points. There have been times that I was unable to show up by the 6 p.m. hold (being held up with work stuff) and they held my room for me anyway. I travel with my family on occasion, and Jamie has always been great with my 3 year old little girl. When she was upset upon arrival one time, Jamie got her some cookies and opened up the juice machine (even though it was after hours) and gave her something to drink...which worked wonders. As long as I travel in the area I WILL ALWAYS STAY HERE. The staff has always been friendly and accomodating....and the best out of all of them has always been Jamie. A very hard-working/friendly/nice/polite/sweet person.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband works on the road. He travels the country doing chem tests on coal processing plants. We have a two yr old so usually i stay home with the baby but when we want to spend time with him we go on the rd with him. As you can imagine being in a hotel room for a week with a 2yr old can be quite challenging. Our son was having a difficult time sleeping thru the night and when he woke up at 12:30am for the 3rd night in a row i decided to take him for a drive so my husband could get some much needed sleep. I drove up and down peery hwy till 4am when he finally fell asleep. When i got back to the hotel i realized i left my key card inside the room. Not wanting to wake my husband up and wanting to get our finally sleeping baby back into the room quickly and quietly so he didnt wake yet again, i went to the front desk for a key. From the beginning the night clerk had an extremely rude attitude. I tried to explain the situation to her and she just rolled her eyes and said she needed my ID, which by the way i completely understand because of saftey issues. My problem wasnt due to protocol it was her very rude attitude. Further irritated from the nights events i went back out to my car to dig thru the diaper bag to find my wallet. I went back in and handed it to her without saying a word. She tells me i need to lose my attitude!!! Ummm...its 4am. Ive had an exhausting night i just want my key and i want to go to my room.i didnt say anything but my irritation was evident she then asjes if i would like for her to throw me out and i said please..not please throw me out but as in please just stop she walked to the phone and said she was calling the cops! Seriously??? I then said just give me my ID back! She then says do you want your key or not? I then replied I said please! She pully out this slip from a file and says well considering your name doesnt match 115... i was very mad then and i said"I said 215!!" she actually argued with me about it! I think i know what my room number is! She then handed me back my id and told me to find my own way in!!! So in the end my husband and our baby got woke back up in the process of me getting back into our room. I dont know what the womans name is, as i was too tired and irritated to look at her name tag but she is heavy and wears way too much makeup she was also working the early morning hrs of october 28, 2012. She should NOT be working in customer service. As bad as that is unfortunately its not my only complaint. The night before that incident i went down to get some clean towels and was told they couldnt give me any because one of the girls went home with the housekeeping keys! Seriously???? Ive never been in hotel management but if i couldnt provide my guests with clean towels id say that was a problem! Why not have a copy of those keys or tell that employee to bring them back immediately! On the upside though the hotel has a pretty decent breakfast an the rest of the staff i have encountered have all been very nice and accomidating but that woman working the night desk really needs to be fired!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Comfort Inn Bluefield? Share your experiences!