“Great food, but be ready to spend” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Great food, but be ready to spend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Very good food, but very pricey for Blacksburg. Never had a bad meal there but the service has been hit or miss. Nice interior as well. Very good sushi, but there are other places that are cheaper and just as good in the area.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Manalapan, New Jersey
“Impressive service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We live near the shore and expect a lot from a place billing itself as a seafood restaurant. We were impressed. Within minutes of being seated they asked us to move so they could seat a large party. We had not even ordered yet and it was no big deal. They bent over backwards for us. Everyone loved their food. The fish was fresh and excellently prepared. Will be back!

Visited August 2013
Clinton, New Jersey
“Wonderful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The steamed seafood appetizer for two was unbelievable! It was enormous and truly wonderful. It's too bad we don't live closeby (or even in the same state), otherwise we would go back again and again.

Visited July 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
“Very Pricey, Very Delicious, Very Disturbing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

...I think it stands to reason that the most expensive place in town should have the best food in town. And as far as I can tell, it does. I immensely enjoyed two golden brown leek/ricotta/lobster cakes with very garlicy sides of kale and baked potato. But the price? Poor Billy's isn't just the most expensive place in town, it's the most expensive place in town by far. The cheapest thing on the menu that isn't an app are $20 salads. I don't know about you, but if I'm ordering $20 for a salad it'd better have at least a five dollar bill at the bottom of it...

...Holy-portion-size-Batman! That's what I said when our entrees showed up. But let me back up for a sec. Yes, Poor Billy's is the most expensive joint in town, by A LOT. When you look at their menu of steak, seafood and sushi you go, "yeah, that looks great. I'm gonna put on my nice clothes and take a date/parents/visiting panda bear here." Then you walk in the door...

Read the complete review and more about Blacksburg establishments at: http://wp.me/p2WSQ8-Y

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Too expensive for what it offers, from atmosphere to table setting and food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Blacksburg is short on higher end restaurants, not surprising in a small college town. Still, there is a niche for healthy quality food above the pub or chain level. Poor Billy's does not fill it. Menu items mostly over $20 do not match their price in quality, certainly not my over salted and overlooked Mahi Mahi. My wife's steak salad was good, but 20 bucks for it? And $6 for a craft beer? No table cloth, only high tops and paper napkins? And what about the reluctance to seat two on a four top when half a dozen of those are empty? Staff had to ask the manager first. After we paid over 60 bucks for a simple dinner, many tables were still empty. I can see why.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere