“Too expensive for what it offers, from atmosphere to table setting and food.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Poor Billy's Seafood Restaurant

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Baltimore, Maryland
“Too expensive for what it offers, from atmosphere to table setting and food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Blacksburg is short on higher end restaurants, not surprising in a small college town. Still, there is a niche for healthy quality food above the pub or chain level. Poor Billy's does not fill it. Menu items mostly over $20 do not match their price in quality, certainly not my over salted and overlooked Mahi Mahi. My wife's steak salad was good, but 20 bucks for it? And $6 for a craft beer? No table cloth, only high tops and paper napkins? And what about the reluctance to seat two on a four top when half a dozen of those are empty? Staff had to ask the manager first. After we paid over 60 bucks for a simple dinner, many tables were still empty. I can see why.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

78% Recommend
Kailua, Hawaii
“Good food and drink!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Enjoyed a varied menu--enjoyed the special (scallops). Good food overall--little salty, but very tasty. Limited by the glass wine.

Visited December 2012
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Terrific 95% of the time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have been going semi-regularly to Poor Billy's for about 11 years now, totaling 120 visits or so, with friends or just the two of us. We find it fantastic, even though we've had a few bad meals through the years. The only real issue food-wise we've had was undercooked fish but they always did their best to make up for it and it was very uncommon. Their martinis are big and strong, the appetizers are flat-out incredible, particularly the mountain of fried oysters, she crab soup, and the unforgettable Oysters Rockefeller, which are the best we've had in the USA. We've also had steaks there that were insanely good. In fact, we've never been able to have a steak at Frankie Rollins that beat the best from Poor Billy's - and yet they're half the price! Their sushi is americanized done right, delicious every time, and the fried asparagus spears are pure genius. Dessert specials can be creative and not for the faint of heart, but we love them all. When it comes to Blacksburg's offerings, Poor Billy's is our favorite. 622 North has come close but has yet to dethrone PBs. We sure hope the place doesn't sell. We'll cry if the new owner replaces the chefs and kitchen staff.

There have been many flashes of brilliance in this restaurant, all for what we feel is a modest cost in comparison. Yes there can be flaws now and then, but the overall experience is unblemished in our eyes. Perhaps we've simply gone there enough times to know best.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“A great mistake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I intended to go the sports bar but went in the wrong door. They had the college games on the multiple TV's so I thought I was in the sports bar (that was actually upstairs). But what a nice mistake. The beer menu had a few nice selections (I went with the wheat). The she crab soup was very good and the sushi was top notch. I ordered a couple of custom rolls that were not on the menu. That was no problem for them and the rolls were great. They were so good, I ordered a couple more. Service was a little slow, but is was crowded after a VA Tech game, so I'll grade them on a curve. The prices were good comparing the quality. I would definitely go back - this time on purpose.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Covington
“Great sushi but poor anything else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I loved the fresh sushi, it was the best. The atmosphere was great, server was awesome. We ordered crab cakes and they were just blah. Not cooked enough, very gooey and lacked the normal crab cake taste. The sauce (which I hoped would help) was boring too. The mashed potatoes were spicy but good. So all in all the only issue I had was the crab cakes, maybe I will try something else next time. Worth another chance for the sushi and potatoes alone.

Visited November 2012