“Terrific 95% of the time” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Terrific 95% of the time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We have been going semi-regularly to Poor Billy's for about 11 years now, totaling 120 visits or so, with friends or just the two of us. We find it fantastic, even though we've had a few bad meals through the years. The only real issue food-wise we've had was undercooked fish but they always did their best to make up for it and it was very uncommon. Their martinis are big and strong, the appetizers are flat-out incredible, particularly the mountain of fried oysters, she crab soup, and the unforgettable Oysters Rockefeller, which are the best we've had in the USA. We've also had steaks there that were insanely good. In fact, we've never been able to have a steak at Frankie Rollins that beat the best from Poor Billy's - and yet they're half the price! Their sushi is americanized done right, delicious every time, and the fried asparagus spears are pure genius. Dessert specials can be creative and not for the faint of heart, but we love them all. When it comes to Blacksburg's offerings, Poor Billy's is our favorite. 622 North has come close but has yet to dethrone PBs. We sure hope the place doesn't sell. We'll cry if the new owner replaces the chefs and kitchen staff.

There have been many flashes of brilliance in this restaurant, all for what we feel is a modest cost in comparison. Yes there can be flaws now and then, but the overall experience is unblemished in our eyes. Perhaps we've simply gone there enough times to know best.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington, DC
“A great mistake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I intended to go the sports bar but went in the wrong door. They had the college games on the multiple TV's so I thought I was in the sports bar (that was actually upstairs). But what a nice mistake. The beer menu had a few nice selections (I went with the wheat). The she crab soup was very good and the sushi was top notch. I ordered a couple of custom rolls that were not on the menu. That was no problem for them and the rolls were great. They were so good, I ordered a couple more. Service was a little slow, but is was crowded after a VA Tech game, so I'll grade them on a curve. The prices were good comparing the quality. I would definitely go back - this time on purpose.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Covington
“Great sushi but poor anything else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I loved the fresh sushi, it was the best. The atmosphere was great, server was awesome. We ordered crab cakes and they were just blah. Not cooked enough, very gooey and lacked the normal crab cake taste. The sauce (which I hoped would help) was boring too. The mashed potatoes were spicy but good. So all in all the only issue I had was the crab cakes, maybe I will try something else next time. Worth another chance for the sushi and potatoes alone.

Visited November 2012
“Don't let the Name Fool you.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I have Business in Blacksburg VA, and have found that the restaurant selection is somewhat limited in this college town. The first time we were in town we were searching on trip advisor, and other sites for a place to eat and entertain customers. We initially discounted Poor Billy's, Seafood and Sushi based on the name. We ended up there after a few failed attempts at other places.
Wow were we surprised, Great menu selection of Steak, Seafood and Sushi all very high end, reasonably priced, and the atmosphere was casual and not stuffy. All of the wait staff has been very attentive, knowledgeable of the restaurant, specials and events in the area.
I have been there three times, and will most likely be there on my next trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Southbury, CT
“Good food, crowded”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The food is excellent, very flavorful and they have a good variety of items. I especially enjoyed the cheesy grits! Place is very popular so be prepared for a short wait (10-15 minutes on a weekend night).

Visited October 2012