“Excellent Property But Management Lacking” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
Powhatan, Virginia
“Excellent Property But Management Lacking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

The overall property is clean and comfortable inside and out with fair rates with a friendly and most helpful staff. The hotel is yet the upgrade to the new bistro cafe concept. My qualm involves two personal observations. The first occurred when I returned to my room in the early afternoon, the day after check-in. The housekeeper's two children (a boy and a girl ages maybe 8 or 9) where with her going in and out of the rooms (3rd floor low numbers) she was cleaning. Now, I have personal belongings in my room to in include my laptop. I'm sure these kids had been in my room as well which is unacceptable. Obviously, the housekeeper had no childcare so she brings her kids to work with her. I doubt any guest would find unauthorized individuals, yet children roaming about their room. The next morning when I was checking out I saw coming to work with her two kids in tow. So, this was on-going. To the hotel management-this practice should not be tolerated and must be immediately discontinued. The second observation was similar. Another child, maybe age 10 or 11, again most likely the child of a hotel staffer, was on one of the hotel computers reserved for hotel guests for over two hours during the afternoon. Again, not acceptable. The hotel management must take immediate and appropriate action with their staff.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
CourtyardBlacksburg, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Terry B,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback about your stay. We appreciate your kind remarks about our cleanliness and friendly staff. Management was aware of the associate's children being at the property as the family was dealing with the death of a loved one. We understand and agree this would be uncomfortable situation for a guest to encounter and the issue has been addressed. We look forward to your return to Blacksburg in the future.

With Hospitality,

Tom Norman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Broadway, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Staff was friendly but did not know anything about the area. Motel was clean but had a lot of permanent stains. Time to upgrade. For the price I really did expect more. Breakfast was good, but not worth price of $8.80 per person. Many motels that include breakfast in price of the room, have just as good or better food. Drinks had to be ordered from a waitress (who rolled her eyes when my husband asked for juice).
Best thing about this motel was the bed. The mattress was wonderful and I slept well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
CourtyardBlacksburg, Director of Sales at Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Jo N,

Thank you for visiting our property and writing a review. We appreciate feedback so we can continue to offer a great product and service. In regards to breakfast, unfortunately, the Courtyard brand does not offer a free breakfast. We will be rennovating our lobby during the forth quarter this year, which will have Starbucks coffee and alternate breakfast offerings.

We hope you will stay with us again!

The Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg Team
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel staff was extremely friendly, rooms were very nice and clean, location is perfect as well since it's right by the highway and just down the road from main street. Definitely my hotel of choice when staying in Blacksburg.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Oakton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Staff were professional and helpful. Hotel and rooms were really clean and comfortable. Love that they have Q/Q bed configurations vs the doubles. They took great care of our group. Super convenient to Va Tech!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Vienna, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I cannot say enough about the excellent service we received at this hotel. We booked 7 rooms for a two-night stay. Our great service started w/ Lauren when we booked. She was so helpful, prompt, cheerful and accommodating. Once we all arrived at the hotel, we were impressed w/ the cleanliness and comfort. But what was truly amazing was the service. I cannot say enough about Will, Amanda and Carrie. They were over-the-top wonderful!! Great staff... great hotel :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We've stayed at this Courtyard several times while visiting son at VT. It's close to the school and has several fine restaurants close by. The thing that sold me is the friendliness of the entire staff. From the moment we walked it, it was all smiles, and in a timely manner answered any questions we had. The Manager, Tom Norman, was particularly helpful. We've stayed at many 4-5 star hotels and those managers can learn something from the folks in Blacksburg. Our room was clean, everything worked and the cleaning service was prompt and efficient. I don't write many reviews but felt compelled to just because my expectations were exceeded. I hope all find they experience the same.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting Virginia Tech. It was a convenient drive to campus, front desk staff was very helpful with directions and restaurant recommendations. Room was clean and spacious and breakfast was delicious. I would definitely stay hete again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg? Share your experiences!