“Don't waste your money!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

You added The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center to your Saves list
The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Prices Fork Rd, Blacksburg, VA 24061   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

The exterior of the facility is beautiful as well as the lobby area. A 30 minute wait to check in was crazy but charging 3.00 a day just to park in the parking lot of the hotel was over the top. It only went down from there.

Over 30 rooms were book with our group for a wedding. Everyone had a horrible experience but most consistantly they said...

- Horribly uncomfortable beds
- Moldy shower
- Torn or damaged furnature
- A/C didn't work well in 20 of the rooms
- no service/understaffed
- hotel restaurant was bad (10 people ate there and spread the word not to go)
- Some reservations were lost, others were given the wrong rooms.
- One person was allergic to down and had added that to their reservation. Once arriving they found a down comforter as well as down pillows. When requested a change, they sent 2 old musty pillows and no blanket ... they were told... it's all we have.

DO NOT stay here! Don't let the exterior fool you... there are far better places that are quite a bit cheaper!!!!

• Stayed July 2010
GCrizer, Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Hoaxgirl, we appreciate your review of the property. Please know that we will share your review with our team. We are extremely disappointed to read your review of the property as we strive daily to provide excellence in our operations. We apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay and would like to learn more about your experience. Sincerely, Gary Crizer, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed at the Inn for two nights and was quite disappointed with the service aspects of our stay. On the positive side, the receptionists were friendly and professional, and the room was large.

However, there were several letdowns. First, we had reserved a cot for the first night; it was delivered while we were out, propped upright in the entry hall. It's not a big deal, but we then had to move furniture around to set it up. Second, the airconditioner didn't cool sufficiently, and the system rattled quite loudly - enough so we had difficulty sleeping. We informed the front desk, but apparently nothing was fixed for our second night. Housekeeping did a poor job between nights as well and various items were not resupplied (bath mat, coffee set-up, etc). I tip housekeeping fairly generously, so the poor service was a big surprise. Upon checkout, there was a mistake on our bill.

This may sound picky, but I'm well travelled and what I look for in a hotel is a clean, quiet room with working air. When maintenance or housekeeping don't do their job, it ruins the experience.

This was the VaTech orientation trip for my daughter. I've got four years of visits ahead of me (and probably a lot more with two more children) which I'd guess will translate into 30 nights or more which this hotel has lost.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
MatthewB6283, thank you for sharing this incident with us as it is extremely important to know what’s happening from a guest perspective, so corrective measures can be implemented and executed. We do hope that you will provide us another opportunity to serve you so you can enjoy the complete experience we intend to deliver on a daily basis. When your travels return you to the Blacksburg area, I hope you will call on me to personally handle your reservation request. Sincerely, Gary Crizer, Hotel Manager.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed two nights at the Inn during the 2010 Freshmen Orientation. The hotel is actually quite nice. We had no problems checking in and the staff was courteous. The rooms were a good size and I was very glad that free WiFi is available.

My one and only gripe is that our room AC would not cool below 70 degrees. The facilities engineer responded promptly and attempted to ascertain the problem. But, in the end the fix was to just leave it on manual and let it run constantly. It was comfortable- but thank goodness it wasn't a blistering hot week.

One other comment that is noteworthy is that the hotel was pretty full during our stay. Despite that fact- we never heard any noises through the walls from our neighbors. Perhaps we had exceptionally quiet neighbors, but I think it might be partially attributed to the solid construction between rooms.

I was also a bit miffed, initially, at the parking charge. But the parking permit gave us a lot of latitude to park on campus in very convenient places, so in the end it was well worth it.

I would definitely stay here again. It's close to the campus (not exactly easy walking distance) but a lot closer than many other lodging locations and the parking permit makes up for that. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Mechanicsville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Stayed one night for a VT event. The room was not ready when we arrived at 4:00 PM but they called my cell within 30 minutes to let me know the room was ready. The room was nice and clean. Had everything we needed. No complaints. The location is the close to campus. The staff was courteous. The price was $125 (AAA rate) which was reasonable but probably higher than comparable hotels located further away from the campus. I did not like the extra $3/day parking fee....think that should be included in the rate. Did not eat at the onsite restaurants.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Philly area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

My daughter and I stayed two nights in July and found the hotel to have everything we needed. We both loved the free wireless internet and the breakfast buffet had all that we wanted or needed. It was very hot while we were there so we didn't do much walking but you can walk out the door of the hotel and you are right on the edge of campus which is very convenieint. The rooms were furnished nicely and the air conditioning worked great despite the near 100 degree temperatures outside! Didn't have time to use the work out room but it seemed to have the necessary equipment. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant one night (Preston's) and it was a bit pricey but the food was very good. Our waiter, Travis, was having his first night on the job and we were his very first customers. He was very friendly and went out of his way to make us comfortable to to answer any questions we had about the university. He made us feel so welcome! I would definitely stay at the Inn again when we come for another visit to Blacksburg, which we will be doing quite a bit over the next four years!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Newport News, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I booked two rooms at the Inn at Virginia Tech for Easter Weekend. I asked for two rooms close to one another, as I was travelling with my family, including an eight year old child. The hotel could not accommodate us, even though I made my reservations well in advance of the weekend. The hotel gave us a handicapped room, even though my husband and I are not handicapped.The bed was very uncomfortable, and the shower was a hand held one. When we went to check out of our two rooms, I asked for a one hour late checkout (instead of 11 a.m. I wanted to leave at 12 p.m.), as my son, who is a student at Virignia Tech, was still directing music at an Easter church service at Tech .We were planning to meet him and some of his friends for an Easter dinner.Kendall, a front desk clerk, uncaringly informed us that we would have to move all of our things to one room, and that if we did not do this, we would be charged 1/2 the regular room rate for the extra hour we were in our room. She was rude, and inconsiderate.We have had pleasant stays at the Inn in the past-we visit our son twice yearly at Tech.We will probably try out some of the other accommodations in the area the next time.The Inn is usually the most expensive option in the Blacksburg area, and I expected superior service and accommodations.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
mquonce, public relations manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Dear nancymaree, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay at The Inn. We have spoken with our employees regarding this situation and have shared your review with our staff to help better prepare us in the future. We truly hope you consider another stay at The Inn when visiting Blacksburg.
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2009

Hubby and I attended a wedding at VaTech and stayed in this hotel.

We are not handicap but somehow we got the handicap room so I will speak from the standpoint. I work with the handicap and this room is a perfect setup.....

The room is huge with two comfy double beds. It would be very easy for a wheelchair to get around the room. The bathroom shower is a great size and easy for someone to transfer out of a wheelchair to the flip down chair installed in the shower. The room is also located near the elevator.

Of course the setting cannot be beat...the hotel staff was very nice and professional. The room and hotel is very clean....food is excellent....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
mquonce, public relations manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, December 8, 2009
Dear Atheem, thank you for your review! We have shared your comments with our staff. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the approach taken in your review. We hope you will stay with us again if your travels bring you to southwest Virginia. Safe Travels!

Been to The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center? Share your experiences!