2nd stay now....
I'll keep it to the point:
Pros: close, convenient, predictable, parking, shuttle and classy.
Cons: Wi-Fi is low-fi, rooms facing sunset can be warm, no free snacks or breakfast.
4 stars is due to value (no added perks) and not-so-spectacular bar/restaurant.
Amazing, accommodating staff. Nice, quiet rooms with a sense of classy, clean, predictable comfort. Nothing second rate or funky in the rooms or halls or parking or anywhere. The Wi-Fi is very hard to connect (in both locations tested so far) and very slow due to low signal propagation. The wired internet is just fine thank you--the cat5 cable in the room was bad however. Bring your own portable router and provide internet for all your guests/devices. (It is possible to connect to VT.edu net on Wi-Fi). Parking passes are only good for the hotel parking lot. You'll still need visitor passes if you need them to park on campus or use shuttle.
Only eaten here once... That said, the restaurant was also predictable: a bit stuffy, food was a little overpriced and a little unimpressive. Good ideas, just not executed very well. Don't get me wrong, it'll do in a pinch, but wouldn't be my first choice. On a campus with the best food in the nation, I expected slightly more. Bar advertises "flights of bourbon or scotch." Out of the three choices, one was "no longer on the menu" (bad), one was "your choice of bourbons" (good) and one was “a single brand of scotches—no choice of selection” (bad). I think you can work on promoting the bar a little better than that. We chose to pass...
Finally: Rooms are almost impossible to get on busy weekends--anywhere near Blacksburg. So, if you want a room--book very, very, very early. It's definitely worth paying just a bit more in order to avoid staying in a worn-out super-* motel in Troutville/Salem etc... and you know what you’re getting here--for the short period of time that you'll probably stay in the room!!
Try it, you'll like it!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center is the only hotel situated on the campus of Virginia Tech and is the perfect destination to explore all that Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, and Montgomery County have to offer. Preston's Restaurant features fresh, locally-sourced foods and the Continental Divide Lounge features an eclectic wine list and premium spirits. As the largest hotel and conference center in Blacksburg, we offer nearly 24,000 square feet of conference space, including a 700-seat ballroom, 10 conference rooms, and 147 hotel rooms and suites. This is one of the premier facilities in the mid-Atlantic region. For conferences, events, or leisure, come experience the hospitality, luxury, and latest innovations in beautiful southwest Virginia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Hotels.com, Expedia, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Virginia Tech & Skelton Hotel Blacksburg
- The Inn At Virginia Tech And Skelton Conference Center
- Hotel At Virginia Tech
- At Virginia Tech Blacksburg
- The Inn At Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center Blacksburg