“Exceeded Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

Save Saved
You added The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center to your Saves list
The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Prices Fork Rd, Blacksburg, VA 24061   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
Cleveland, Ohio
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

The Inn at Virginia Tech is far better than what I was expecting for a college campus "inn." The hotel has managed to seamlessly blend the college inn functions with a sufficiently well equipped hotel and restaurant. And while the physical structure is mildly reminiscent of a college dorm, the rooms are solid, quiet, and very hotel-esque.

The staff gets particular credit form being exceptionally pleasant, informative, and engaging, without being intrusive. It is not a luxury hotel, but meets the business travelers needs quite nicely.

Good work out facility.

Other than the presence of an excessive amount of academics, this place is first rate.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tom S, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear T N,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciate your business and thank you for taking the time to write the review.

We hope you will stay with us again on a future visit to Blacksburg. (There's not much we can do about all the "academics!")

Tom Shaver

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Staying at this hotel for the first time was a pleasant surprise. It is in a beautiful building that matches the architecture of the Virginia Tech campus. We were there shortly after Thanksgiving and it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. The staff was excellent and the room was very comfortable. It is right on the campus of the university and adjoins the 9 hole golf course

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tajosef,

Thank you for staying with us at The Inn at Virginia Tech during your recent visit to Blacksburg. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the holiday decor.

We look forward to the opportunity to serve again on a future visit.

Tom Shaver
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed at the Inn at Virginia Tech three times now since I have a student at Virginia Tech and while I think it is a tad overpriced, you can't beat the service - everyone that I have interacted with there has been more than helpful. The proximity to the campus and the shuttle bus make it a great place to stay if you have a student in town. The dinner menu is a bit fancy for our tastes, but the Sunday brunch is fabulous and well worth going to even if you aren't staying at the Inn. It would be nice if you would have coffee in the lobby beyond 9:00 a.m. and refrigerators in the rooms would be a nice touch as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear MLB1000 -

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciate your business and your suggestions.

We have recently purchased flat-screen televisions for all our guestrooms and expect to have them delivered within the next few weeks. We have scheduled a renovation of our rooms for next year and we plan to add mini-refrigerators during that project.

Thanks again for staying with us. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Blacksburg.
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My stay was on 10/15/12. I like to read other reviews to see if what I'm going to write matches or is totally different. My stay is reflected in the excellent rating given. The Inn is strategically located on the campus of the University and it is well maintained comfortable facility. My room was clean and orderly. The desk and chair allowed me to access the Internet easily from both my laptop and IPad. The facility was quiet and a step above providing a safe stay. Parking is plentiful and not a problem. Maybe some rooms have older TV's as mine did. No big deal. So if you are looking for a fine facility, don't hesitate with this one. Check the rates and if you need a budget hotel, stay elsewhere. For me it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: Very full on football weekend events
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Raberdon,

Thank you for staying with us at The Inn at Virginia Tech during your recent visit to Blacksburg. We appreciate your business and thank you for sharing the comments about our hotel.

I'm happy to tell you that we have recently ordered flat screen televisions for all of our guestrooms and we expect them to be installed within the next few weeks. This is an improvement our guests have requested and we are pleased to be able to do it.

We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

plus: kind receptionist, triple-sheeted bed, nice views, plenty of parking

minus: far parking, no valet, farthest possible walk to room once inside, "tired" furnishings and carpet, icky bed spread, tube tv, grumpy maid on my way to my room, SHOCKINGLY overpriced for the facility and the room

comments: I don't mind paying for what I'm getting but I'm opposed to NOT getting what I paid for. I thought I was treating myself to something special when I paid nearly $200 for the room. I feel like I've been had. On my way to my room, I got a peek into rooms that were (being cleaned and were) much nicer. As for solo female travelers, I say choose another hotel in the area. The size of this hotel made me feel isolated and the extremely long hallways made me feel uneasy because while the hotel was supposedly "full", there really was no one around and in an emergency with a potentially drunk or morally deficient man, I think you'd be out of luck.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear S K -

Thank you for your notes regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciate your business and your observations.

I'm sorry you felt concerned about your safety. Our security plan includes an extensive array of cameras and our property's security officers are provided by the Virginia Tech Police Department. Our room rates do vary considerably, determined by the level of demand from our guests and by special events on campus and in town.

I am pleased to report that new flat-screen televisions for all our guestrooms have been ordered. We expect them to be installed in Otober, allowing us to offer several channels in High Definition.

Thank you again for taking the time to comment on your stay. We hope you will return to see the results of our improvement efforts.
Springfield, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This was my second stay at the on-campus "hotel" for VIRGINIA TECH. The Inn at VA TECH is blended into the campus architectural look of "Hokie Stone" in a well designed manner. The Skelton Alumni Center is the other half of the building and serves to host events, weddings, receptions and other VT events. The hotel is right up there with the service and quality of the neighboring Hilton Garden Inn. I see virtually no difference. If you prefer to be right on the VT campus, this is a great location.

Families and friends visiting VA TECH will be pleased.

One thing I'd like to see in rooms: a refrigerator. Maybe the room I had did not include one but it would have been a nice addition.

Room Tip: The Gym or Workout room is on the 1st floor which is below the main entrance level which is labeled...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Runman:

Thank you for your notes regarding your recent stay at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We appreciate your business and thank you for posting the comments about your visit.

We have recently ordered new flat-screen televisions for all our rooms and expect they will be installed within the next 4 to 6 weeks. We are also considering the inclusion of refrigerators in our room renovation project, which is planned for next year.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to see you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.
New Jersey/ New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros - decent prices and decent breakfast rates. Good parking and great if you are going to be on campus a lot or have events to attend nearby.
Cons - Untrained staff, not really suited for business travelers (I am aware it is an on campus inn - but it is attached to a conference hall for crissakes). Room furnishings are dated and the quality of bedding is not quite the best.
Overall - know what you are getting into - its a standard on campus inn, not an overly professional establishment. Ok for families visiting - so there you have it.

Room Tip: 4th floor facing the golf course
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Frequent Traveller:

Thank you for staying with us at The Inn at Virginia Tech during yourr recent visit to Blacksburg. We appreciate your business and thank you for sharing the comments regarding your stay.

I'm sorry you did not feel we were well-suited for business travelers. Our location, in-room work desk, free wifi service and extensive meeting facilities are very popular with our business guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you again on future visits to Blacksburg.

Been to The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center? Share your experiences!