“Kind of sad, honestly.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center

You added The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center to your Saves list
The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Prices Fork Rd, Blacksburg, VA 24061   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Blacksburg
Delray Beach, Florida
“Kind of sad, honestly.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

I'm an architecture student at Virginia Tech and it is very embarassing when I have to refer people away from this hotel and towards the Hilton Garden Inn. This hotel should represent our campus in the most monumental way, but instead it is a forgettable footnote in the landscape of the university. The lack of amenities- no pool or spa, and the extremely basic interior design of the rooms (almost Hampton-inn like) does not encourage prospective students, visiting speakers, visiting employers, or other school's sports teams to look up to us and envy us, but most likely leave a feeling of being less than impressed, and this will reflect on their feeling of the university as a whole.

My parents stayed here many times, first in a regular room, to which they quickly upgraded to a suite which was also less than impressive, just bigger, but there are only a few of those, so they are hard to get. once the Hilton was built, they haven't been back to the inn at VT because there is no reason to.

-Give the staff a five-star formality and attitude as opposed to the typical casual southwest Virginian attitude

-Build a pool/spa

-add more impressive and forward-thinking artwork and sculptures

-Make the lobby monumental and rooms luxurious and unforgettable

-Then you will be on to something and really bring pride to the university and visitors. Go hokies!

• Stayed April 2011
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Dear Ramblin Man,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay last year. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the design of The Inn and its amenities.

The primary purpose for the facility is to provide a conference center for Virginia Tech meetings and events. We are also fortunate to be able to attract many families visiting their students and numerous athletic teams competing at the university. Our location on campus and the access to University facilities is a benefit our guests seem to appreciate.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed at the Inn for a few nights on a short business trip. I wasn't quite sure what to expect as all the other options I saw in the area were limited service brands that are all the same. The pictures online made it stand out, and I wasn't disappointed when I got there.

The property itself looks great, built to resemble the university that is right next door. All the staff I encountered were very friendly and helpful, always smiling or giving a greeting in passing. I ate in the restaurant a couple of times and I must say that the food was excellent. Breakfast in the morning was a treat, but don't forget the bread pudding during lunch or dinner!

I had everything I needed during my stay, and the location of the Inn makes it so easy to get anywhere in the area - you're never far away. Overall my stay was wonderful and I will definitely stay here again the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Shadowcat,

Thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay with us. We are proud of our staff and your recognition of their friendliness is appreciated.

We look forward to the opportunity to accommodate you on your next visit to Blacksburg.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Before I arrived at the Inn I was expecting a lot because its reputation preceeds it. For the most part it lived up to its reputation as a fine hotel and meeting place. I was impressed by its stonework and especially by the friendly staff who made my visit comfortable.

The ball room was decorated well, the food and service were satisfactory plus the speeches were important and the band played great. We drank and danced the night away listening to 10 Spot do their thing. They covered old and new songs. The kid on drums was terrific and the horn section was tight. Many of my friends agree that the band sponsors made the night a success because of their choice for entertainment.

Thank you Jim, Freddy, Bill, Alan, John, Tom, Mark and "10 Spot"!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for sharing the notes about your experience at The Inn at Virginia Tech. We were pleased to be chosen to host the Sigma Chi Reunion and it appeared the attendees had a great time. We hope you will stay with us again on future visits to Blacksburg.
northern virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

My daughter and I stayed overnight at the Inn. I was bringing her back to school after winter break. I have stayed at this hotel before as well as many others in the Blacksburg/Christensburg area. The beds are comfortable, room is nicely decorated and clean.
The reason that I am not giving this hotel a very high rating is for the fact that we were abruptly woken up at 3 am by a very loud and very drunk individual sitting in the hallway outside our room. The person appeared to be of college age. I had to call the front desk and to the hotel's credit, the individual was escorted away. I have never experienced this at any of the other hotels in the area. I don't know how this person was not noticed by any of the personnel in the hotel. I don't think that I will be returning. I was exhausted after staying here. I did not get a very good nights sleep.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, January 23, 2012
Dear NVA Traveler:

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Blacskburg and Virginia Tech. Please accept my sincere apologies for the incident that awakened you during the night. The guest involved was attending a conference here at The Inn. I'm sorry he caused such a disturbance. When the police arrived, they transported him to the hospital for observation and treatment.

We hope this unusual incident will not keep you for staying with us on future visits. Our ParentsCLUB offers special discounts and benefits to Hokie parents - at no charge. More information is available on our website.

Thank you for sharing the comments about your stay. We hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed at the Inn and Conference Center for a Winter Graduation, so it's probably one of the most busy times of year. The room was clean and the bed was nice, although it seemed a little dated (old school tube TV). There was a thermostat in the room, but it didn't seem to actually work, when I arrived it was set to 70 something and the room was roasting, i turned it down to 65 before bed, and when I woke up... it was warmer then the night before.

They give you "Breakfast tickets", my wife had evidently only put one person on the reservation, so we only got one ticket, make sure you specify the exact number of people in your party.

All of that said, you can't get any more convenient for a trip to the University, and it was walking distance from just about anything on campus.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, December 25, 2011
Thank you for staying with us during your visit for Graduation. We appreciate your comments. I'm sorry you had difficulty with the thermostat in your room. We are always looking for opportunities to bring improvements to our facilities and services. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you on future visits to Blacksburg.
Penn Laird, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The service was very good. For the most part the staff are part of the VT hotel & restaurant program. The food was well prepared with good presentation. It was a great place to hold a business meeting. One caution is be careful where you obtain a room because I had problems with wifi connection.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
shavert, General Manager at The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Dear dlaw3:
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business conference. We are proud of the many Virginia Tech Hospitality and Tourism Management students and graduates on our staff. We appreciate your recognition of their service. We look forward to seeing you again on a future visit to Blacksburg.
Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed here because my husband attended a 2-day class in Blacksburg (but not at VT). The hotel was very nice, the rooms were comfortable and clean. The breakfast was served buffet style at the cost of $12.00 plus any drinks you ordered. Even though there were alot of choices, nothing tasted too exceptional, so we went across the street to Kroger and bought some breakfast food to eat in our room the other 2 mornings. There was a nice display of Christmas trees and decorations in the conference center, which put us in the holiday mood. Driving out of the hotel and across the road, there was a Panera, a few sub shops, and small restaurants, and Kroger, but no shopping. Christiansburg is about 6 miles away and offers the big stores and restaurants you can find in all major cities. All in all, I would stay again, but wouldn't be against trying the Holiday Inn across the street either.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Delgal:
Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Blacksburg. I'm glad that you found the location convenient to the other amenities in town. Your comments about our "Fashions for Evergreens" display are appreciated. This has become a holiday tradition and it is well-received by visitors to our property. We hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blacksburg
Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg
4.5 of 5 stars 161 reviews
The Blacksburg Comfort Inn Hotel
Courtyard by Marriott Blacksburg
Holiday Inn Christiansburg Blacksburg

Been to The Inn at Virginia Tech & Skelton Conference Center? Share your experiences!