“Just a revolving door now” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #86 of 109 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American
High Point, North Carolina
“Just a revolving door now”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We tried to take our adult children in for beer after the game and the upstairs was closed until 530 they wouldn't let us buy beer at the bat and carry it upstairs just to sit. We weren't alone though there wet about 40 people who went in after us and then came out and left like we did. Really surprised they wouldn't accommodate right after the game let out . Prob out last visit there

North Carolina
“Understaffed... decent food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

In an era when much of downtown Blacksburg is comprised of restaurants, the Hokie House still stands. There is a certain authenticity that comes with a place like the HH that you just don't find at nearby Chipotles or Moes. The menu is burgers, sandwiches, a few salads, and cheap beer. Just what college guys want.

I had a burger with a bunch of stuff on it - onions, mushrooms, bleu cheese, buffalo sauce, and more. It was decent, but not outstanding. My spouse's jerk chicken sandwich was probably a better choice.

While we were there, the whole place was staffed by one cook and one server. At first that seemed sufficient, but suddenly a bunch of people came in all at once, and the server was suddenly too busy to pay much attention to anyone. I get that the restaurant business has a very small margin, that owners staff for the crowds they expect at certain times of day, and probably the staff was sufficient for a normal Friday. But besides taking our order and bringing our food out, we got no other service

The men's room was just nasty. No telling when it was last cleaned. But again, your average college guy just doesn't care, so what the heck?

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vienna
“Landmark on Main Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is the type of place that I recall from my college days - too long ago to fess up to on Trip Advisor.

Its packed with students all having a great time - and it serves up a menu of better than average bar/pub food. I'm particularly fond of the cheese steak - but burgers, sandwiches, and sides are all good.

As a parent that picks up the tab for my son and his friends on many occasions - Hokie House is easy on the wallet.

Visited November 2012
Earlysville, VA
“Enjoyable college bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Yes, it's a college dive bar, with cheap beer, pool tables, and loud music... but my family and I found it enjoyable as a restaurant. I recommend the wings, as well as the Hokie-Pokie Burger (various interesting ingredients).

The Caesar salad that was mostly just a bucket of romaine lettuce, with a few croutons. But the veggie-burger was surprisingly good.

The four students at the next table got an astonishingly large pile of nachos (like, basketball volume), with lots of tasty-looking components. Remarkably, they demolished the whole thing, except for a few pickled jalepenos. It looked *really* good.

Important note: DO NOT assume that the fellow at the door is the maitre d', and ask him for a table for five. He is the BOUNCER. He will tell you, quite kindly, that he doesn't mind where you sit, as long as you don't hit anybody.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
“Cheap Beer”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

...Hokie House delivers more or less what you would expect from a large college bar that requires two forms of identification (I applaud their lack of drunk 19 year-olds). At 7pm on Trivia Wednesday, the place was pretty filled. It's a regular-looking crowd with (what seemed like) a solid mix of townies and grad school-ish type people...

...One of my complaints on the "buffalo" steak sandwich I ate for dinner that night was the ambiguous nature of the meat. I was expecting thin strips "Chinese pepper steak style" or shaved beef "Philly cheesesteak" style. Instead I was greeted by minuscule nuggets of mystery meat swimming in a warm gooey sea of mediocrity, making it difficult to even find the meat. (That's what she said?) The whole dish could be easily upgraded by using bigger pieces of meat, less blue cheese dressing, more blue cheese, and a different flavor of tabasco, preferably green...

More on Hokie House and other Blacksburg establishments at http://eatingtheburg.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/hokie-house/

• Visited January 2013