My husband and parents took me to Castles Kettle for a Sunday birthday brunch. Since there were several good reviews posted below, we thought we would give it a try, especially since we have visited Ireland a couple times, we were excited to have an "Irish Pub" in town. What a mistake. Do NOT go here for brunch. This was the worst experience we have had in a very long time. First of all, parking is impossible. We were there at 12 noon (how much earlier can you be to park?) and there was not a single space (they might have about 10 spaces). We could deal with that issue by parking across the street and then hoped we wouldn't get towed. Now for the MAJOR problems:
1. We were there for brunch, right? Well, on the menu it says they have coffee. Seems pretty simple. Well, bring your own coffee. After waiting for 1/2 hour for our coffee and water to arrive (and we were told a "fresh pot" was brewing), we were finally told by our waitress, "We don't have coffee, so I don't know what you're going to do about that." Seriously, that's what our waitress said. She didn't suggest any other beverages (tea or juice?) and just said, "I don't know what you're doing to do about that." Really??????
2. The wait time was ridiculous. I actually had to get up from the table and find someone to wait on our table. People around us were leaving and loudly complaining that no one had even visited their table, and they had been there over 20 minutes. There was lots of negative energy in that place, let me tell you.
3. The food. Oh dear. Where to begin?? My husband and I ordered the "Corned Beef Hash with Eggs and Bacon (or Bangers) and Toast." I got the Bangers, husband got the bacon. There was NO cornbeef hash. Only a nasty pile of day-old mashed potatoes that they deep fried. And there was one egg. Not "eggs". The toast was a sickening thick slab of white bread that was stale. I asked for Orange Marmelade, and was brought a nasty packet of grape jelly. Huh? The Bangers were tiny micowaved sausage links and the bacon was one slice of bacon torn into two pieces to make it look like two whole pieces. Are we really THAT stupid not to know the difference?
4. My dad got the "all you can eat" option from the menu, but of course - due to the super slow and neglectful service, he totally didn't get his money's worth (there's no buffet, but the wait staff has to bring it to you). His portions were tiny (2 Tablespoons of hashbrowns, literally) and his scrambled eggs were flavorless and a funny color. Mom got the French Toast, and she was fine with that - but without coffee, French Toast with a glass of water just isn't the same.
5. I asked for Hot Sauce as soon as my meal came to the table. Waitress did not bring it until I had choked down half of my egg, but she didn't bring a bottle of hot sauce. Nope. She brought some kind of crockery (without a spout) full of hot sauce. There was no way to pour it without it dribbling all down the side and onto your clothing, and there was no spoon to be found to help with this ordeal. Oh - At the beginning of our meal, we had to sit there looking at our food for several minutes before she rounded up some silverware.
6. The tables around us were never cleaned. The waitresses only seemed to care about the college crowd, and not anyone who was older than say, 21. Also - they don't write your order down, so you can imagine how fun that can be to have to explain your order more than once, just to be told "We're out of that" 15 minutes later.
7. Maybe lunch or dinner is better at this place, but brunch is all the money they will squeeze out of us for horrible service and sub-par food. Don't waste your money and go to many of the other establishments in Blacksburg that actually care about their customers and the food they set in front of you.
If you own or manage Castles Kettle and Pub, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.