“GREAT VALUE” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
Southbury, CT
“GREAT VALUE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Make no mistake, this is a family-run budget motel. Don't go unless you are comfortable in a budget motel. That being said, it's a great value. Rooms are clean, linens are clean, beds are comfortable, free wi-fi, complimentary coffee in the morning and the location is fantastic. Additionally, most rooms (all?) have micro-wave and good mini-fridge, which is a wonderful perk. And, the owners could not be more helpful and friendly. Yes, sometimes they are not at the front desk and you have to ring a bell for assistance, and sometimes you feel like you have just interrupted their dinner. But, this is part of the budget experience, and they couldn't be more accommodating.

Yes, other reviews are correct; some of the rooms are a little more tired than others. I get the feeling that the owners are renovating a few rooms at a time, but I have never felt that my room wasn't clean. And yes, some rooms have a slight stale smell that is also consistent with many budget hotels.

All that being said, this is a terrific place to stay. We always try to get in there, but they are often full when there are Virginia Tech events.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for five days. We were originally wary of what we would find at this inn, because the cost of staying there was so low. It turned out that this family-run inn offered great service, friendly staff and a very clean and spacious room. It's location can't be beat either: very close to highly reviewed restaurants and to the city center. We'll definitely stay here on our next trip to Blacksburg!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

This establishment is ran by a wonderful family. The room was clean and the location is great. Every other place in Blacksburg cost twice as much and your treated like a number. There really is no better value in this area.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at Red Carpet Inn during Virginia Tech graduation weekend May 15th,16th,17th because our second son graduated. We enjoyed our stay. It is clean place closer to campus and downtown. It has wear and tear but I wouldn't trade for anything. People with money loaded in trunk of the car might not be perfect place but we appreciated most was service. My wife forgot necklace upon check out in the room. We received by mail three days later. We wish them very best as they did same for our family and turned down tip with all respect.

• Stayed May 2014
Atlantic Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

All we wanted here was a place to crash, then shower and hit the road the next morning. For the price I was not expecting anything more than basic, but I found the place to be a bit more 'tired' than the reviews had me expecting. The couple that own/run the place are extremely nice, friendly, and helpful, and I so wanted to like the place. It's obviously an old facility and needs significant work. They have something like 48 rooms, I think 4 were in use the night we stayed, I'd figure these would be 4 of the better ones. The price was great, location good, seemed clean. But the bed was disagreeably hard to me, wife was actually ok with it. Some type of faint smell in the room, I just could not place it, things it was not included: Mold, mildew, air freshener, cleaner, bug killer, disinfectent. It was not terrible, just disagreeable, and not expected in a hotel room. And, if this is one of the better rooms, then they are having issues. The wall in the tub/shower is obviously having water penetration issues, and is falling apart in back of the wall tiles. Bottom-most tiles are not matching the rest and you can see the backing is not sound. The fresh bead of caulk is peeling off, leaving a clear path for shower water to enter the wall (if moisture is in the wall, caulk will not adhere - personal experience with water penetration in a shower wall, 3 months and a ton of money later we had an all-new bath). Seeing this made me feel bad for this couple, I can't see this place generating the funding needed for a lot of this kind of work. A few other little issues that were not much of a problem - like when flushing, it was necessary to hold the handle a bit, and if a little too much efffort applied, something happened and the flap did not come down and seal, so take off the tank top and adjust that.

Maybe most of the other rooms are better? No way to know.

Room Tip: Maybe ask to view it prior to accepting it?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

You get a clean place right down town for a great price! Our hotel room has everything we needed for the night including an unsolicited fridge! No frills beyond the practical, but I don't come to Blacksburg to spend time at the hotel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The owners and staff are wonderful, helpful and friendly. The rooms are very clean and the prices are very very reasonable. A good value. Harri, the owner, was kind enough to offer me a ride for an errand I needed to run.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Been to Red Carpet Inn? Share your experiences!