“Affordable, clean, convenient” 4 of 5 stars

1615 South Main St, Blacksburg, VA 24060   |
Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
“Affordable, clean, convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel leaves a lot to be desired, but it is clean, affordable, and convenient to campus. The staff were agreeable and helpful and I would stay here again in a pinch. There is a eatery across the street, bulls and bones, that has good craft brews and ample portions. The free wifi was helpful.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Earlysville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here one night last week while in Blacksburg visiting my son at Virginia Tech. The motel is convenient to campus, very clean and well maintained. The proprietor is friendly and gave me a gift certificate for a nearby breakfast restaurant that more than made up for the lack of a breakfast bar onsite. Wi-fi was easy to connect and reliable, the tiled bath had plenty of hot water and the bed was great. I'll stay here again next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I just called to make a reservation for my husband and the manager even remembered him from his last stay and went out of his way to accommodate him. This hotel is small and very comfortable. It also is the best price in town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There are honest people in the world today. The front desk person gave my son money back he wasn't aware he was due. Not sure how many places would have been that honest. We didn't need a place with all the bells and whistles, just a clean room and we found it here. Best price I could find in town. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I am a Brazilian student, and I was looking for a place to stay in Blacksburg during 3 months. I had found it in the trip advisor and I sent an email to ask for a room. Harry, the manager, answer my email very quickly and I made a reservation. Before I arrived I wasn't sure about what I will find there but now what I can say to people that are looking for a place to stay in Blacksburg is that Red Carpet Inn is a perfect place.
The room was good and very clean, the refrigerator and microwave was new and clean, and I had cable TV and free wireless Internet. There is a lot of restaurants around the hotel and a big grocery store very close, but if you need to go anywhere else, the bus that goes to VT and to Cristhiansburg stops in front of the hotel.
The last and more important thing about the red carpet is the family who manage it, They are wonderful people, I was coming from a foreign country and they offer me all the help I needed in everything.

Definitely, it was the best choise that I could had done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you're looking to spend relatively little on an overnight stay in the Blacksburg area, you could do much worse than this motel. The front desk person went out of his way to be helpful and kind. We'd not expected to have to stop overnight and had no toiletries with us at all. He provided toothbrushes and toothpaste and was very gracious. The rooms are very modest--just the basics---but refreshingly clean. It was a little further off I-81 than we'd thought, but worth it. There was also a fabulous Indian restaurant less than 2 miles away--India Garden.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Olney, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a great value, less than 5 minutes driving (maybe 20-30 minutes walking) to downtown Blacksburg, and across the street from the South Main shopping center. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The price includes free cable, free wireless, and coffee in the lobby. The very reasonable price allowed our family of 4 to share two adjoining rooms instead of cramming into one room, which made the stay all the better. The location is quiet and convenient. The owner/operator was very friendly and accommodating, both in person and on the many times I called to make and change our reservations.

The building itself looks like a 1950's roadside motel with a fresh coat of paint but not much more updating. Inside, the rooms are the same, with cinder block walls and spartan carpet. The bathrooms are updated and clean. It's comparable to Motel 6, not Holiday Inn. That suited us fine, as our plan was to be out of the room as much as possible anyway. No complaints at all about the look or the accomodations. Overall, my impression is that the owners put a lot of care into getting the best out of an old building, and it's very comfortable.

The beds were very stiff, a little too much for my liking, but I was able to sleep well enough (I've slept on much worse beds; these felt stiff as if brand new and not broken in yet, which is oddly reassuring!). The bathroom fan was much too loud for such a small space. If Sputnik fell from the sky onto the bed in my room, I would not have heard it from inside the bathroom with the fan on. Unfortunately, one switch controls the light and fan, so there's no choice, but it's certainly liveable. On the bright side, the shower was very nice, and the motel supplies soap and shampoo-conditioner, a very nice touch for the budget range.

Bottom line for me: travelling with friends, I might want to stay in a building with a lobby and common seating area, with more luxury and overall newer. For family or budget travel, though, this is a great place. I rated it a 3 with the idea that Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt House, etc. get 4s, and very high end places get 5s. That said, check the individual ratings for a more accurate assessment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Red Carpet Inn? Share your experiences!