“Duke fan” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Duke fan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

There are honest people in the world today. The front desk person gave my son money back he wasn't aware he was due. Not sure how many places would have been that honest. We didn't need a place with all the bells and whistles, just a clean room and we found it here. Best price I could find in town. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Campinas, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I am a Brazilian student, and I was looking for a place to stay in Blacksburg during 3 months. I had found it in the trip advisor and I sent an email to ask for a room. Harry, the manager, answer my email very quickly and I made a reservation. Before I arrived I wasn't sure about what I will find there but now what I can say to people that are looking for a place to stay in Blacksburg is that Red Carpet Inn is a perfect place.
The room was good and very clean, the refrigerator and microwave was new and clean, and I had cable TV and free wireless Internet. There is a lot of restaurants around the hotel and a big grocery store very close, but if you need to go anywhere else, the bus that goes to VT and to Cristhiansburg stops in front of the hotel.
The last and more important thing about the red carpet is the family who manage it, They are wonderful people, I was coming from a foreign country and they offer me all the help I needed in everything.

Definitely, it was the best choise that I could had done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you're looking to spend relatively little on an overnight stay in the Blacksburg area, you could do much worse than this motel. The front desk person went out of his way to be helpful and kind. We'd not expected to have to stop overnight and had no toiletries with us at all. He provided toothbrushes and toothpaste and was very gracious. The rooms are very modest--just the basics---but refreshingly clean. It was a little further off I-81 than we'd thought, but worth it. There was also a fabulous Indian restaurant less than 2 miles away--India Garden.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Olney, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a great value, less than 5 minutes driving (maybe 20-30 minutes walking) to downtown Blacksburg, and across the street from the South Main shopping center. The rooms are very clean and spacious. The price includes free cable, free wireless, and coffee in the lobby. The very reasonable price allowed our family of 4 to share two adjoining rooms instead of cramming into one room, which made the stay all the better. The location is quiet and convenient. The owner/operator was very friendly and accommodating, both in person and on the many times I called to make and change our reservations.

The building itself looks like a 1950's roadside motel with a fresh coat of paint but not much more updating. Inside, the rooms are the same, with cinder block walls and spartan carpet. The bathrooms are updated and clean. It's comparable to Motel 6, not Holiday Inn. That suited us fine, as our plan was to be out of the room as much as possible anyway. No complaints at all about the look or the accomodations. Overall, my impression is that the owners put a lot of care into getting the best out of an old building, and it's very comfortable.

The beds were very stiff, a little too much for my liking, but I was able to sleep well enough (I've slept on much worse beds; these felt stiff as if brand new and not broken in yet, which is oddly reassuring!). The bathroom fan was much too loud for such a small space. If Sputnik fell from the sky onto the bed in my room, I would not have heard it from inside the bathroom with the fan on. Unfortunately, one switch controls the light and fan, so there's no choice, but it's certainly liveable. On the bright side, the shower was very nice, and the motel supplies soap and shampoo-conditioner, a very nice touch for the budget range.

Bottom line for me: travelling with friends, I might want to stay in a building with a lobby and common seating area, with more luxury and overall newer. For family or budget travel, though, this is a great place. I rated it a 3 with the idea that Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt House, etc. get 4s, and very high end places get 5s. That said, check the individual ratings for a more accurate assessment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Liberty Hill, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This place is certainly spartan - but clean with plenty of hot water! The couple who runs it couldn't be nicer. The lady called me back all the way to Texas to tell me they had a cancellation! Last thing I expected. No niceties, but who cares for the price and convenience.I have fallen in love with Hokie-land!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Macomb, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I am jazzed to be staying at the Red Carpet Inn, as tomorrow is game day Virginia Tech vs Bowling Green, kick off 12 noon, and it looks like the unofficial alumni dorm here. Alumni and families, in a fun civil environment, lighted booster signs VT fan temporarily display in their windows, and the usual fun safe community environment that spontaneously comes together for game days.
I just returned from Bulls and Bones microbrewery and restaurant across the street, and look forward to having breakfast at Famous Anthony's a leisurely walk two blocks away. I don't feel the least bit guilty have a latte and fresh baked goods just few feet away at the Daily Bread their menu is absolutely wonderful and I love sitting outdoors section, reminiscent of European cafes transplanted in Blacksburg.
I really like it here the Red Carpet saves me money I spend exploring Blacksburg, there are also Sal's Italian cuisine, and a new Mexican cuisine restaurant across the street from the Red Carpet Inn (I've visited both), two Chinese restaurants about a block away ( I've only dined at one so far), and an Kroger's grocery store opened 24/7.
I love just walking across the street from the Red Carpet Inn to Bulls, and Bones this evening. Bulls and Bones have wonderful in house beers being a microbrewery, and this wonderful feature built into their bar, a frosted strip running it's length to keep your drink cold to the last drop. What is grand is I didn't need to drive, or solicit a cab, because I just walk back across the street back to my room here at the Red Carpet Inn.
During my travels I pay so much more for places that try to do everything, so it is such a break on my wallet to stay at the Red Carpet Inn, and spend my saving where and how I like not to cover unnecessary overhead cost. As an example I can take my saving before I leave I look forward to investing in breakfast at Gillies across from VT campus.
As for Red Carpet Inn, I said after my last stay the only recommendation that is worth anything is my dollar vote in looking forward to my return visit and here I am? No frills, comparatively, great rate pricing, clean rooms, amenities Cable, Microwave, a Mini fridge, etc, safe environment, absolutely great location close to some of the best places in the area and I think the only Microbrewery, Bulls and Bones renown for it's barbeque and grilled dishes especially variety of wings, as well as others places a few I mentioned. I preferred to chose to take my saving from staying here at the Red Carpet Inn and try new things exploring what Blacksburg has to offer, it's my way of spreading the wealth. On top of everything else VT though it has been struggling with it's offense game is favored to win tomorrow. I really like the folks who own and operate the Red carpet Inn and I hope that this review is the least I can do to show my appreciation for their hospitality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel was very clean and a great staff. The location was great-the south end of town, within walking distance to big supermarket and restaurants. Very close to Blacksburg transit and Virginia Tech is in walking distance. The hotel manager arranged roomates to share a room and split payment if desired.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Red Carpet Inn? Share your experiences!