“wonderful food, poor service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Christiansburg, Virginia
“wonderful food, poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Our group of 16 made reservations to eat here on a busy Saturday evening during Christmas season. We were promptly seated as we arrived in small groups over a period of 20 minutes. The waiter was attentive and promptly took each person's drink order as they were seated. We offerered to identify our couples as we placed orders so getting the checks would be an easy matter.

They have and extensive selection of beers on tap and in bottles. I ordered a pint of something new to me but was brought a regular glass. The waiter offered to exchange it but I declined (I'd already had some and didn't want to take advantage of getting more that I was going to pay for). Ordering went smoothly. Prices are a bit high, but their menu is interesting and we were all expecting large portions and full meals. No one bothered to order salads or appetizers. Then we waited. It took nearly 25 minutes for the food to appear. In the meantime there was nothing to munch on - bread or rolls are not served here as part of the meal. Ordered the special of the night, 8 oz. of pork loin and stuffed cabbage because I like them and because I though ordering the special would save time. Ironically, I was the last person served, after the waiter had made several trips to the table and done a headcount.

My wife ordered roast chicken and asked to substitutet the vegetable of the day for the arugula listed on the menu. She received arugula, which she doesn't like. When she pointed out the error she was brought a separate dish of sweet potatos.

Then came the bills. The waiter went down the table to confirm the pairing of bills. And we waited again while everything was parsed into separate checks. When I received my check, I was billed for the wrong, and more expensive, dish. The waiter took several erroneous checks back to the billing station and return a few minutes later to explain they'd been entered into the intractable computer system, but not to worry, he would manually correct the bills when he accepted our payment. My credit card bill was correct when he brought it to us.

We arrived a 6 PM and left just after 8 pm. This was a dinner group which enjoys visiting various restaurants in the area. All of us enjoyed the food immensely. But, the prices are a tad high for the relatively small amount that is served without any garnishments, breads, etc. My tab for 2 persons, including a beer and gin and tonic came to $52.31.

They have a separate bar. The place was full of diners, but there seemed to be plenty of waitstaff on duty.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Blacksburg, Virginia
“They just aren't there yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I visited 622 today for Sunday brunch. I ordered Eggs Benedict Royale. The poached eggs were cooked hard, and the sauce was just not there. I had to flag down a manager because our waiter didn't bother to check with our table after we received the food. She offered to redo the eggs and bring some sauce. So for 20 minutes I waited for the eggs with the badly cooked eggs still on the plate. She brought a plate with two well poached eggs and a broken hollandaise sauce to go with the now cold muffins and ham. I had to take it from there. To add insult to injury we had to find a manager to get the check because our waiter never came back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
“Best Bar in Blacksburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Is Frank’s Bar actually a separate establishment from 622 North? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, I don’t really care what it is. The more it has in common with 622 North, the more likely you’ll be to find me inside.

The Quack: Frank’s has the same outstanding beer selection as 622 North. Interesting, hard to find taps? Quack. Flights available with pours large enough to actually taste the beer? Double Quack. A fast turnaround on taps so there’s always something new and interesting, and sometimes even a tap takeover by a regional brewery? Aflac Quack. Why this place isn’t packed on a typical weeknight, I have no idea. Perhaps the $5+ pints are too much for the younguns who have never experienced $6 pints of Bud Light in a city bar and think this place is actually expensive.

Whatever the reason, I’m happy for them to continue to overlook this place.

The Waddle: Seeing as they have the same sandwich menu as 622 North, which I’ve already given glowing reviews of, I obviously love their food. The sandwiches are interesting yet not over-the-top with either number or types of ingredients. You won’t find snails or caviar topping their creations, but you can find fried pickles, brie, peanut butter aioli, and mortadella. Those are things I want in my belly. Throw in a laid back, knowledgable staff and the occasional live band, and you’ve got yourself what is quickly becoming my favorite hangout in town.

Visited October 2013
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My family at here tonight, curious as to what used to be Bogens is now like and intrigued by the menu.
The staff was very friendly and attentive. Some of the food was really good, but my entree was really disappointing. I had the garlic chicken. I couldn't taste garlic anywhere in the dish. The chicken was overcooked and under seasoned, while the manicotti was undercooked and hard. The plate was drowned in the vinaigrette from the salad. So I would perhaps skip that. My husband's chorizo burger was really fantastic, though. The fries were had a nice crispness to them.
So, all in all, not a bad experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“622 to the Rescue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm a foodie with food allergies...an unfortunate combination. Traveling can be a nightmare. I had to drop my son off at a sports camp at Virginia Tech this week, and ended up hungry and nervous in Blacksburg. Where could I get great food? How could I deal with my allergies? Blacksburg is full of cute college dives, but that wasn't what i was looking for. Thank goodness for the magic of the Internet. A search led me to 622 North, and I couldn't have asked for a better meal. Fantastic food, great wine, superb service...everything was just excellent. If you're in the area, check this place out. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited July 2013