“Best Bar in Blacksburg” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
“Best Bar in Blacksburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Is Frank’s Bar actually a separate establishment from 622 North? If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, I don’t really care what it is. The more it has in common with 622 North, the more likely you’ll be to find me inside.

The Quack: Frank’s has the same outstanding beer selection as 622 North. Interesting, hard to find taps? Quack. Flights available with pours large enough to actually taste the beer? Double Quack. A fast turnaround on taps so there’s always something new and interesting, and sometimes even a tap takeover by a regional brewery? Aflac Quack. Why this place isn’t packed on a typical weeknight, I have no idea. Perhaps the $5+ pints are too much for the younguns who have never experienced $6 pints of Bud Light in a city bar and think this place is actually expensive.

Whatever the reason, I’m happy for them to continue to overlook this place.

The Waddle: Seeing as they have the same sandwich menu as 622 North, which I’ve already given glowing reviews of, I obviously love their food. The sandwiches are interesting yet not over-the-top with either number or types of ingredients. You won’t find snails or caviar topping their creations, but you can find fried pickles, brie, peanut butter aioli, and mortadella. Those are things I want in my belly. Throw in a laid back, knowledgable staff and the occasional live band, and you’ve got yourself what is quickly becoming my favorite hangout in town.

Visited October 2013

76% Recommend
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

My family at here tonight, curious as to what used to be Bogens is now like and intrigued by the menu.
The staff was very friendly and attentive. Some of the food was really good, but my entree was really disappointing. I had the garlic chicken. I couldn't taste garlic anywhere in the dish. The chicken was overcooked and under seasoned, while the manicotti was undercooked and hard. The plate was drowned in the vinaigrette from the salad. So I would perhaps skip that. My husband's chorizo burger was really fantastic, though. The fries were had a nice crispness to them.
So, all in all, not a bad experience.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Richmond, Virginia
“622 to the Rescue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

I'm a foodie with food allergies...an unfortunate combination. Traveling can be a nightmare. I had to drop my son off at a sports camp at Virginia Tech this week, and ended up hungry and nervous in Blacksburg. Where could I get great food? How could I deal with my allergies? Blacksburg is full of cute college dives, but that wasn't what i was looking for. Thank goodness for the magic of the Internet. A search led me to 622 North, and I couldn't have asked for a better meal. Fantastic food, great wine, superb service...everything was just excellent. If you're in the area, check this place out. You won't be disappointed!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Still not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My sister and I went to 622 North for our Wednesday night outing. We had been there once before and were not that pleased with either the service or our meal. We did see potential, but the execution was poor. So, we decided to try it again, hoping they had improved.
We were seated and greeted by our server right away. Our server was unkempt, even dirty, but seemed to know his stuff. The wine list is not that good for a wine bar. The prices are marked up more than most restaurants. We ordered an inexpensive Pinot that I was familiar with. We decided to go with a small plate followed by an entree. I ordered onion jam for the small plate, my sister ordered a corn and Gouda chowder. The chowder had the consistency of library paste, and the onion jam was nothing but soft onions with a little vinegar. It was served with the equivalent of Texas toast. For my entree, I ordered the ravioli with pesto. The ratio of pasta and filling was way off, much too much pasta dough, and hardly any filling. The chef tried to counter that with a very oily pesto. It dominated the dish rather than complemented it. My sister ordered salmon with a sweet potato and mustard crust. Sound weird? Well, it was, not a combination that worked at all.
To end this I will say that 622 North does not live up to its billing. It was way overpriced for the poor execution. They need a new chef.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, VA
“A pleasant and quiet dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife and I had dinner there this evening. I had Shrimp ravioli (moderate portions but the ravioli was of high quality and the visual presentation was very very good) and she had a chicken breast with Manicotti (also of very good quality). For desert we had cherry tart with Homestead Ice Cream- probably the best cherry tart/cobbler/pie that I have ever had.
I would describe the place as 'upscale casual' where I was perfectly happy to wear shorts and a nice t-shirt (wife t-shirt and jeans) but it would be equally well suited to a formal party. The cost was NOT extortionate (2 entrees, 2 deserts, 1 appetizer $45).

Previously, my daughter had gone here for a pre-prom dinner and had found it satisfactory.

• Visited June 2013